Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Would you go to college in a trailer? I seriously doubt it. Your classroom learning would likely have to be (or possibly already has been) done in a college without trailers. Should the same standards not apply to your children as well? After all, people in Mecklenburg are paying a decent amount of taxes but the government is not doing the right things with the money (and many taxpayers do not have children, but that's a whole 'nother thread). This is why the last school bond vote was shot down.
Yes I would go to school in a trailer and I have when I went to college in Kentucky but that was due to a fire caused by a chemist students oops LOL

I still would do it because I would know my instructor would probably know me by my first name or last name and my attention would be whole lot great than some of the amitheather style class rooms used today that you are only a spec in chair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 12:57 PM

825 posts, read 2,818,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washingtonian View Post
I have been in the trailers. They look like small classrooms

I don't think the problem is the trailers but the problems that overcrowding causes in a school. Multiple lunches, less time with additional activities such as art, music, gym etc. The inability for people that need additional help to receive that help because of the resources have to be spread more.

Teaching in a trailer can be challenge but I enjoyed it and I helped my students to make the best of it. There are pros and cons for the students but children can learn (and do) in a trailer. The key factor is of course, the teacher. If a teacher is the type of person who can turn lemons into lemonade then a child should do just fine.

As to the OP's comment about lightning strikes and being in a trailer, schools have to organize evacuation procedures for these types of events. In a situation of a particularly bad thunderstorm, all the trailers were evacuated into the building and the storm passed.

I agree with the statement above. It's not so much the trailer itself but that it seems to symbolize poor planning, lack of support for the schools, etc. The reality that so many people move here for (lower taxes) is one factor for all these trailers.

What matters most is that teachers are on staff who truly care about what's best for children and that these teachers are led by caring, professional administrators.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:14 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Yes, but here in the Carolinas we don't always get a whole lot of warning when it comes to storms since they sometimes seem to come out of nowhere.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Again, clueless.

The last school bond referendum was voted down because of a lack of confidence in the SCHOOL BOARD and the fact that they had not been fiscally responsible with bond money previously given to them. Quit trying to blame local government for everything.

As for going to college in a trailer - your attempted correlation is just silly. MANY college classes are taught outside of a "regular" classroom. I had an art class once that met in an outdoor ampitheater - gee, I guess I should have asked for a refund on my tuition because I didn't get air conditioning.

The first point was part of the point I was trying to make. If they had been fiscally responsible, CMS wouldn't be a mess and there wouldn't be so many trailers. Hence the vote down of the school bonds, which I voted against. I won't be voting in the next one though, because I voted with my wheels and moved to Fort Mill after seeing the idiocracy that is Charlotte government and since for the first time I bought a house, I was not about to give all that property tax to Charmeck to waste it. I suppose next you are going to say that CMS is a good school system and I will lol.

And you should get an infraction for the personal attack, btw.

I know many college courses are taught outside of a normal classroom environment. That does not mean our kids should have to learn in a trailer. The example Sunny made was an unusual circumstance.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:50 PM

36 posts, read 128,224 times
Quote:
Would you go to college in a trailer? I seriously doubt it. Your classroom learning would likely have to be (or possibly already has been) done in a college without trailers. Should the same standards not apply to your children as well? After all, people in Mecklenburg are paying a decent amount of taxes but the government is not doing the right things with the money (and many taxpayers do not have children, but that's a whole 'nother thread). This is why the last school bond vote was shot down.
I took a class in trailer at a college and honestly it is no different (IMO) than a building. I felt like I was in a regular classroom setting. I wouldn't be worried about learning in a trailer, just don't end up living in a trailer

Old 07-19-2007, 03:00 PM

But it also shows that CMS has some serious issues to deal with regarding overcrowding, as most all of us already know.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:53 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
The first point was part of the point I was trying to make. If they had been fiscally responsible, CMS wouldn't be a mess and there wouldn't be so many trailers. Hence the vote down of the school bonds, which I voted against. I won't be voting in the next one though, because I voted with my wheels and moved to Fort Mill after seeing the idiocracy that is Charlotte government and since for the first time I bought a house, I was not about to give all that property tax to Charmeck to waste it. I suppose next you are going to say that CMS is a good school system and I will lol.

I know many college courses are taught outside of a normal classroom environment. That does not mean our kids should have to learn in a trailer. The example Sunny made was an unusual circumstance.
It is hardly a personal attack to say that in my opinion you are clueless - there are far worse adjectives others might have used. And once again you are saying the same "clueless" things - so one more time - the school board was fiscally irresponsible with prior bond money, NOT the city government - which is why that bond package failed. Your continual attacks against the mayor, the police chief, the city government are getting very old. At least critisize them for things they actually have something to do with - not issues like school bonds not passing.

If you already knew that "many college courses are taught outside of a normal classroom environment" why did you choose to use that as a comparison for kids being taught in trailers? You think you are making a good point, but you are actually giving my point more credibility - learning does not need a brick building to be accomplished. Or are all those college students you referred to that have been in classes outside of "normal" settings really not learning anything at all?

Old 07-19-2007, 07:24 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:

That wasn't a personal attack on you, that was just loves giving you your own personal reality check. Reallocating the money away from the arena is beyond clueless. Those types of things boost an economy to the point where the city and it's citizens will reap the rewards for years to come. Short term cost, long term gain. Or are you some liberal who believes in just throwing money with reckless abandon at a problem that never seems to get any better.

Would you rather your child learn from an exceptional teacher who just happens to teach in a trailer or from a less than adequate teacher but in a shiny school room? It may be a symbol of extremely poor planning but a good teacher will overcome that obstacle. If the roof don't leak, the heat still works, the toilets flush and your kid comes home with straight A's, mission accomplished.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:40 PM

543 posts, read 1,824,520 times
I was going to respond to other posts but decided to just add my two cents worth instead.

Both my kids were in trailers this year and both made A honor roll all 4 quarters. Not bragging or anything but the trailers are irrelevent, it's really all about the parenting.

It's a common perception to northeners especially, that if a school has trailers then it must be bad. We just aren't used to em but they're a way of life down here and they work in overcrowding situations. Would you rather have your kid in a nice trailer classroom wih 25 or so students or jammed into a regular classroom with 50 students, how about they use the cafeteria as a classroom when it's not in use? Trailers make good sense and are an economical solution to school *avoid* overcrowding.

The kids actually like them and think they're cool. If you've never seen the inside of them, then you should see how nice they are. Just as nice as any classroom.

As far as storms, really... Schools have more warning systems than any business or home and at the first sign of trouble they bring everyone into the auditorium. It happened a couple of times this past year at Torrence Creek. These are not your typical trailer park trailers, they're double wides

Old 07-19-2007, 07:52 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh View Post
I was going to respond to other posts but decided to just add my two cents worth instead.

Both my kids were in trailers this year and both made A honor roll all 4 quarters. Not bragging or anything but the trailers are irrelevent, it's really all about the parenting.

It's a common perception to northeners especially, that if a school has trailers then it must be bad. We just aren't used to em but they're a way of life down here and they work in overcrowding situations. Would you rather have your kid in a nice trailer classroom wih 25 or so students or jammed into a regular classroom with 50 students, how about they use the cafeteria as a classroom when it's not in use? Trailers make good sense and are an economical solution to school *avoid* overcrowding.

The kids actually like them and think they're cool. If you've never seen the inside of them, then you should see how nice they are. Just as nice as any classroom.

As far as storms, really... Schools have more warning systems than any business or home and at the first sign of trouble they bring everyone into the auditorium. It happened a couple of times this past year at Torrence Creek. These are not your typical trailer park trailers, they're double wides
Nothing like the voice of personal experience, thanks for chiming in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte