U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:13 AM

3 posts, read 14,617 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I recently accepted a job as an RN @ CMC and will be moving to Charlotte shortly. I'm single and 24 and was wondering where all of the young professionals live? I've been reading the posts and it seems like a lot of them live uptown, but I'm afraid that uptown is a little out of my price range right now. Are there any other areas with lots of young people, shopping, dining, a good nightlife, etc? I'm also concerned with safety and commute times. Any help would be appreciated, since I am new to the area and know nothing about it! I'm very excited, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 09:18 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,684,576 times
You may like to try NoDa, Southend, Dilworth, and if you don't mind a drive, Lake Norman/Cornelius/Huntersville.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:11 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,675,905 times
Hello Karen,

Outside of Uptown, the young professionals seem to be scattered. There are soem art districts and such, but one f the nice things, is the city is pretty small, so you can get somewhere in 30 min. Since you mention price and safety (sometimes mutually exclusive) avoid the west and east sides and stick north and south. Some people will say the Harris Blvd apts have high crime, I can't see it in the records and it is fairly central and you get to both uptown and lake Norman easily. About 20 complexes off that road, some better than others. Noda is nice too, but can be harder to find some in lower prices.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:02 PM

9 posts, read 23,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
You may like to try NoDa, Southend, Dilworth, and if you don't mind a drive, Lake Norman/Cornelius/Huntersville.
Agreed. But you might also try some of the up and coming neighborhoods that are still a little rough around the edges but nice families are moving in and turning them around. You can still get good deals on bungalos and condos or townhomes in the East Morehead and Wilmore areas. You can see downtown from each area. They're about a 5-10 minute commute (not on the freeway).

But Carolina guy has the best advice....although you may find dilworth to be expensive. NoDa is a REALLY cool place.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:04 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,684,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaborncarolinabred View Post
Agreed. But you might also try some of the up and coming neighborhoods that are still a little rough around the edges but nice families are moving in and turning them around. You can still get good deals on bungalos and condos or townhomes in the East Morehead and Wilmore areas. You can see downtown from each area. They're about a 5-10 minute commute (not on the freeway).

But Carolina guy has the best advice....although you may find dilworth to be expensive. NoDa is a REALLY cool place.
I've heard that about Wilmore--Turning around like other little neighborhoods near center city.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:35 PM

47 posts, read 245,689 times
Move to South Park! You definitely want to live SOUTH of Charlotte. Anything north, west, or east is going to be families or ghetto. Generally, the further south you get, the less expensive. My wife and I found a 2 bedroom apartment on Providence Rd. and Fairview for $700/mo and we loved the location and younger crowd. Very near South Park mall, uptown, Phillips Place, etc. Check out one of the Camden apartment complexes in the area (Pinehurst, Foxcroft, Dilworth).

Old 07-20-2007, 09:38 PM

47 posts, read 245,689 times
PS... you should probably rent before you decide to buy. You are not going to know which areas are "up and coming" or just plain ghetto unless you live here for a bit and see for yourself. Good luck.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:31 AM

905 posts, read 3,069,511 times
Check out Plaza Midwood. Great neighborhood, restaurants, shopping, nightlife and you are like 5 minutes from CMC on Kings Drive.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:03 AM

237 posts, read 777,373 times
I agree with wfpineda. There are numerous apartment complexes off of providence road. and it is a very nice place of Charlotte to live.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 14,617 times
Great! Thanks, everyone! I'm heading down to Charlotte next weekend to start my apartment hunt. I'm a little overwhelmed right now, but I'm definitely excited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or