Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 02:49 PM

37 posts, read 76,316 times

Advertisements

So they seem almost too good to be true. Is this the case?

Is this apt community safe for a family? is it in a good area?

whatever anyone can tell me would be greatly appreciated

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic22 View Post
So they seem almost too good to be true. Is this the case?

Is this apt community safe for a family? is it in a good area?

whatever anyone can tell me would be greatly appreciated

thank you!
Berkshires, Heatherwood, Laurel Walk, International Village. That whole area is the only slum that you'll find on Providence Road. Do a search on the boards. You'll find a lot to read.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,178 times
Even with all the negatives I stopped to see the Berkshires yesterday. Nothing was wrong with the townhomes, decent apartments. I saw an upgraded one and an old one, didn't like the patios, not pretty. As I drove to see the second apt, I couldn't believe my eyes, they have a police camera at the back of Providence Square. [I can't think of the camera's name, but its very large with a square blue white box on top, if a cop wanted to sit there to watch] If that don't deter you from moving there, what will. This big as heck police camera is not visible from the street only when you are in the back of the complex. I have never seen a police camera in a private community. I've been to rough sections in NYC and never seen them, unless they were in a mall area. I only see one here on Independence.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 9,628 times
I have been living here for 4 months now, and I love the area and it's very quite. I don't know why people are leaving negative post about Berkshires. Great community, close to everything, I have lived in charlotte for 5 yrs now, and this is the best area you could be in. Townhomes are large and the price is just right, the pool area is marvelous. I have a 3 bedroom and love the extra space and large kitchens. So what if your unit is not upgraded, office doesn't mind you buying new appliances and replacing the old ones. They are your's to keep when you move. I love it here, and will be here until I find me an affordable house in this area. Extra added bonus school is excellent if you have a HS child.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmemaxi View Post
I have been living here for 4 months now, and I love the area and it's very quite. I don't know why people are leaving negative post about Berkshires. Great community, close to everything, I have lived in charlotte for 5 yrs now, and this is the best area you could be in. Townhomes are large and the price is just right, the pool area is marvelous. I have a 3 bedroom and love the extra space and large kitchens. So what if your unit is not upgraded, office doesn't mind you buying new appliances and replacing the old ones. They are your's to keep when you move. I love it here, and will be here until I find me an affordable house in this area. Extra added bonus school is excellent if you have a HS child.
I didn't post anything negative about Bershires except for the camera installed at the back of Providence Square. In fact, I liked the apartments. The camera alone tells me that the community itself is a victim of lots of crime. You will find that most people comments were based on crime facts and what is presented in news.

Here's a list taken from CMPD from 6/1/2010 through 3/6/2011, this is within 0.5 mile of Berkshire.

Larceny from Auto (40)
Non-Aggravated Assault (38)
Residental Burglary (33)
Vandalism (25)
Other Criminal Charge (21)
Larceny-Other (19)
Auto Theft (9)
Aggravated Assault-Knife (3)

This is only a fraction of the crime for 9 months, numbers will be higher if based on a year. Those numbers in brackets are certainly high and many do not want to live in close proximity of so much crime.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:28 PM

4 posts, read 17,312 times
Default moving to Berkshire on Providence

I am a single mom with a high school son and a 7 year old daughter. I have already paid the deposit to move in these apartments on May 20. Will my kids be safe there? I love the space. I hope it is true that I can buy my own appliances if I do not like theirs, and take them with me when I leave. My 7 year old loves to make friends and ride her bike. I was excited about the move until I read all these posts. The apartment I live in now is in a safe neighborhood, but the price is too high. We only have a two bedroom and my daughter is just too old to share a bedroom with me now. I was told these apartments were upgraded now..and the crime was taken care of...that they were even getting rid of the section 8 apartments next door. Am I wrong?

Old 04-13-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstreetop View Post
I am a single mom with a high school son and a 7 year old daughter. I have already paid the deposit to move in these apartments on May 20. Will my kids be safe there? I love the space. I hope it is true that I can buy my own appliances if I do not like theirs, and take them with me when I leave. My 7 year old loves to make friends and ride her bike. I was excited about the move until I read all these posts. The apartment I live in now is in a safe neighborhood, but the price is too high. We only have a two bedroom and my daughter is just too old to share a bedroom with me now. I was told these apartments were upgraded now..and the crime was taken care of...that they were even getting rid of the section 8 apartments next door. Am I wrong?
Your family should be safe, with propery caution. Let your son finish HS and if you don't like the place move. He is old enough to pick his friends accordingly. As for your 7 year old, they are not going out alone without supervision. You are right, the space that they provide is huge for the dollar amount that they charge. I saw both old and new apartments on my visit and both were livable. I don't know how they are getting rid of the housing apartments next door. Did they tell you that they were being condemned or that owners were not accepting Section 8? I don't believe this is the case, but don't have no real answer. I see that both apartments complex near Berkshires are still renting.

The retreat at McAlpine Creek is an older complex located on Highway 51 with reasonable rents. Right next to an elementary school and I will feel safe leaving my little girl outside there. In fact, I am considering a transfer to this complex after August.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:40 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
Your family should be safe, with propery caution. Let your son finish HS and if you don't like the place move. He is old enough to pick his friends accordingly. As for your 7 year old, they are not going out alone without supervision. You are right, the space that they provide is huge for the dollar amount that they charge. I saw both old and new apartments on my visit and both were livable. I don't know how they are getting rid of the housing apartments next door. Did they tell you that they were being condemned or that owners were not accepting Section 8? I don't believe this is the case, but don't have no real answer. I see that both apartments complex near Berkshires are still renting.

The retreat at McAlpine Creek is an older complex located on Highway 51 with reasonable rents. Right next to an elementary school and I will feel safe leaving my little girl outside there. In fact, I am considering a transfer to this complex after August.

I don't know...40 car break-ins, 38 assaults from June to March?? Not my cup of tea for sure.

If she can get out of whatever she signed I'd tell her to go over the Retreat at McAlpine Creek too.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I don't know...40 car break-ins, 38 assaults from June to March?? Not my cup of tea for sure.

If she can get out of whatever she signed I'd tell her to go over the Retreat at McAlpine Creek too.
LovesMountains, not my cup of tea either, but she has to make that decision for herself. Hey, but for some people it does not bother them.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 7,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstreetop View Post
Hi.. im almost in the same situation as you .. we r relocating from florida and we signed the papers to move by the end of june.. we dont know the area very well, we just stay there for a couple of days and thats all, my daughter will be going to a nearby private school and thats the main reason for choosing that community.. do you know anything about them already??? im planning to call tomorrow to the community and appeal to the good heart of them and see if they will live there with 2 small children.. if u can tell me anything about your research I really appreciated.. I see the reviews form other websites but they are too old (2008-2009) I hope everything works out for you and your kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte