Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:01 PM

241 posts, read 891,876 times

Advertisements

I was suggested to look into Somerset and The Reserve as well as Hunter Oaks. Does anybody have any insight if there are any issues going on with this subdivision. I posted one about Demere and just wow is all that I have to say. Thank goodness for this site. Somerset seems to have nice houses that are a bit cheaper then Hunter Oaks. Is this a family neighborhood? Lots of kids? Also, is it unincorporated like Hunter Oaks? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by damaranicole; 07-19-2007 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 12:06 PM

197 posts, read 735,894 times
I know many people that love Somerset and Hunter Oaks - I think you would be happy with either.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:26 PM

34 posts, read 124,596 times
I have a cousin that lives in Hunter Oaks and have stayed at her place several times when I lived out of town. It looks like a great neighborhood for kids, and it has 2 separate pools, one with a waterslide! I don't know about the other neighborhoods. There are some major expensive homes in that area and this is smack in the middle of them.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:27 PM

240 posts, read 1,033,523 times
I live in The Reserve, and it's a nice subdivision. It's not as popular as Hunter Oaks (and not as large either), but it's only a few minutes away from there. It's in a pretty convenient spot, and the neighborhood is pretty quiet and safe. There are also 3 distinct price points in the community, so you should be able to find something to fit your budget. It's in unincorporated Union County (with a Waxhaw mailing address). There seem to be a fair number of kids in the neighborhood in various age ranges, so I'd say it's a good place for a family.

Hunter Oaks seems like a great community too, and it's one of the most popular choices in the South Charlotte/Waxhaw/Weddington area. for the most part, it's slightly older than The Reserve, which is nice if you like some more mature trees in the neighborhood. And there was more than one builder in that community, so it should have a more varied look to it as well (The Reserve was a Centex community).

Hope that helps!

Old 07-19-2007, 08:00 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
somerset, hunter oaks and The reserve are Unincorporated union county...

Old 07-20-2007, 03:42 PM

I want somewhere where there are lots of children and maybe some people my age - we had kids young. I'm 25 and my husband is 30. So anything in the 25-40 age is great. Not sure if this is anywhere, but lots of kids (and parties are fun occassionally but I don't want to hear it every night, so it seems like Demere is a nono). But, don't get started on that one!!! I have looked at houses in all three neighborhoods (Somerset, The Reserve and Hunter Oaks). Hunter Oaks lots seem quite a bit smaller then The Reserve. We're looking in the $250,000 to $350,000 range.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:03 PM

4 posts, read 26,695 times
Please don't give up on Demere. This is a very nice neighborhood with a few #@$^% that will probably end up moving or be arrested. 95% of the people who live there are fine. The riotous partying in Demere is coming to an end. When it does, you will have a nice, inexpensive home with good schools.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:24 AM

42 posts, read 129,976 times
We've had clients buy in Hunter Oak & the Reserve and be very happy there. The locations are very convenient in my opinion.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:49 AM

We went to Hunter Oaks, Somerset and The Reserve. They were all beautiful but the cheaper houses in The Reserve are in a little annex across a main road - I didn't like that. If I'm going to pay HOA's, I want to be in the community, not across from it. The prices go from 285000 and then jump to 350000. Didn't seem to be anything in between.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:22 AM
PLC

1 posts, read 13,044 times
Default Reserve Resident

The Reserve is a nice, family-oriented neighborhood. It has homes at three price points, with the least expensive homes separated from the rest of the community, to include the pool and club house, by Crane Road, a major thoroughfare. For this reason of separation, I wouldn't live in that section since I have younger children who during the summer ride their bicycles, or even walk, to the pool and to swim practice. We have a summer neighborhood pool team that served as a great community activity. Kids practiced twice a week and had a meet once a week, with half of them in our own pool and the other half in nearby pools in the greater South Charlotte area.

The schools are great--Sandy Ridge Elementary, Marvin Ridge Middle, and Marvin Ridge HS. See greatschools.net and other similar websites for school reports.

The Reserve lot sizes are fairly large, probably averaging from 1/2 to 3/4 of an acre, although some 1+ acre lots exist. The community also has a good deal of treed common areas buffering the neighborhood. Along with the junior Olympic pool (but no slide as with some other subdivision pools) and the club house, we also have a small playground, a pond with a fountain by the main entrance, and a nice open area with picnic tables under the tremendous "Legacy Oak" aside the club house. We don't have any tennis or basketball courts, although the HOA allows a basketball hoop in an owner's driveway.

The location is convenient to the Stonecrest, Promenade, and Ballantyne areas. Commuting to uptown via Marvin Road to Johnston Road and then via I-485 (or alternatively Park Road into town) is better than from most areas of Union County, but traffic congestion in Charlotte is worsening during peak hours.

Best of luck searching for the right home that will suit your needs. This market is good for buyers. I'd recommend using a buyer's agent (such as Carolina Buyers Agent). I've bought several homes over the last 20 years and my best experience is with a buyer's agent. Also, shop around for the best mortgage rate and be sure to read and analyze the terms.

-Satisfied in The Reserve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte