U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,896 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My family and I have decided to move from Bangor Maine to Charlotte. I am 30 yrs. old and have never moved into a big city. (quite nervous) I just wish I could get some information from all you Tar Heels about the safest areas, and if there are a sufficient number of Electronic Technician jobs for me and Behavioral jobs for my wife. She also does Massage Therapy, which we hope is popular down there. We want to rent at first, buy later, but I am not sure the best areas to look at.( I am willing to travel 30 miles one way from charlotte) BTW, the daughter is 9 yrs. old and maybe a little elementary school knowledge on the better ones would be a great help too. Any help from all of you would really make my day and would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 05:41 PM

928 posts, read 3,527,976 times
You have come to a great place for advice. You will need to be a little more specific as to what your needs are.

First, my advice, I wouldn't come here without visiting the area. There's such a huge difference between visting here on vacation and living here in the rat race. Second, I wouldn't move here without a job. Many people are making the decision to move here without a job, then taking the opportunity to complain because of the lack of temp jobs or job offers. Please do your research and come with offers, it makes things so much easier.

Everything is different down here. The weather, the food, the schools, the job market, and most of all the way things are. Just remember it's all what you make of it. YOu can come and have a great time or you can come and grumble about how things are not the way they were in Maine.

I've been here for 8 years and that's my two cents.

Good LUck.

XNYgirl

Old 07-19-2007, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,896 times
Thank you XNYgirl. If I could make it easier for you in any way possible, I will. Just trying to figure out what to say without writing a page long explanation. Charlotte economy compared to Releigh economy. I heard Charlotte is more business, and Releigh is more computer based. Is that actually true? I do have a few jobs lined up, but renting in a nice neighborhood is something I would like. I have done a great deal of reasearch in the areas of Huntersville, Concord, Davidson, and Cornelius and it seems that all those surrounding areas are quite nice in all aspects. And Btw, anything is better than life in Bangor, Maine

Last edited by Krazimainer; 07-19-2007 at 06:06 PM..

Old 07-19-2007, 06:05 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,184,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazimainer View Post
Hi everyone. My family and I have decided to move from Bangor Maine to Charlotte. I am 30 yrs. old and have never moved into a big city. (quite nervous) I just wish I could get some information from all you Tar Heels about the safest areas, and if there are a sufficient number of Electronic Technician jobs for me and Behavioral jobs for my wife. She also does Massage Therapy, which we hope is popular down there. We want to rent at first, buy later, but I am not sure the best areas to look at.( I am willing to travel 30 miles one way from charlotte) BTW, the daughter is 9 yrs. old and maybe a little elementary school knowledge on the better ones would be a great help too. Any help from all of you would really make my day and would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, I'll offer my two cents to help you if I can

Charlotte has roughly twice the population of Raleigh so I think jobs for you and your wife might be a little more easy to come by here. Please tell us how much you can spend on rent and whether you want a house or apartment.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:34 PM

928 posts, read 3,527,976 times
I have done a great deal of reasearch in the areas of Huntersville, Concord, Davidson, and Cornelius and it seems that all those surrounding areas are quite nice in all aspects. And Btw, anything is better than life in Bangor, Maine[/quote]

Please come and see, what's a nice area to one is not to another. Here you can have the run from just a nice tree lined street to having a neighborhood in a golfing community, the beauty of Charlotte is there's weathly and you can pick and choose. I used to live in Buffalo. SO not hearing Ice Trucks at 2pm is wonderful. We are in the midst of a heat spell so, I can complain but I won't. Like I said, come check it out. A working class neighborhood may fit or a more upper middle class, just depends. You can go from the 'hood to the hampton's in a bout 20 minutes.

These fellow City Data residents' area awsome. I'm in the gaston county area so if your interested in anything out here, let me know. Otherwise, someone else will step in and give you your answers. I say move with a solid job offer.

XNY

Old 07-19-2007, 08:17 PM

153 posts, read 431,394 times
I personally favor the Lake Norman area. We chose East Lincoln County, just over the Meck/Lincoln line, a few mintues west of Huntersville. If you want more information about my area, just let me know!

If you are considering Huntersville, you could rent an apartment in Birkdale in Huntersville. That would be fun while you look. There was recently a thread on here about apartments in the Lake Norman area.

Are you planning on coming down when school ends for your daughter and then buying something before the new school year starts? Or do you want to rent in the area where you will buy? Lots of tough decisions! You have come to the right place for information. Good luck!

Old 07-20-2007, 12:33 PM

9 posts, read 23,284 times
What about matthews or waxhaw? Do you want to work in the City or in the burbs? I would try charlotte.com for job postings as well as the charlotte craigslist, monster.com and careerbuilder.com.

I think people say Raleigh is more technologically oriented because of NC State being there and that's basically an engineering and tech school. a lot of those kids get jobs in the area because it's convenient. Not to say charlotte doesn't have those jobs. I'm sure they do. Good luck with everything!!

Old 07-20-2007, 12:41 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,662,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaborncarolinabred View Post
What about matthews or waxhaw? Do you want to work in the City or in the burbs? I would try charlotte.com for job postings as well as the charlotte craigslist, monster.com and careerbuilder.com.

I think people say Raleigh is more technologically oriented because of NC State being there and that's basically an engineering and tech school. a lot of those kids get jobs in the area because it's convenient. Not to say charlotte doesn't have those jobs. I'm sure they do. Good luck with everything!!
State is big on agriculture, sciences, and engineering. RTP is right up the road for scientists and engineers. Of course, you also have Carolina and Duke, who need no introduction.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:00 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,154,625 times
I am from New Hampshire so let me first warn you about the HEAT. Be prepared to stay indoors from June to Sept. as its too hot to venture outside of the AC. The rest of the year is delightful however.

Also, my wife is a massage therapist so feel free to send me a private message here if you have an questions or need specfic details.

Cheers.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:05 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,662,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
let me first warn you about the HEAT. Be prepared to stay indoors from June to Sept. as its too hot to venture outside of the AC.
I have a picture in my head of you melting. Is it really that bad for yanks to adjust to the heat? I find this fascinating....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or