Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:28 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,146,397 times

Advertisements

To uptown, Longview would be the closest commute. Depending on what you wish to spend, there are some good deals there right now; some foreclosures and short sales have affected that community. Also, depending on which side of the neighborhood you purchase, you will need to buy at least a social membership to the club.

Skycroft is in Weddington and has seen some similar difficulties. Lawson is at a completely different price point, but is further out. It has great amenities and I have sold in there -- everyone seems to love the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 07:30 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,452,133 times
Have you looked at Hunter Oaks or Summerset? I think those 2 areas may fit what you are looking for.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:47 AM

356 posts, read 366,004 times
I never mentioned "Lawson". I don't even know where that it. I don't need info on the schools, housing market/house prices, or commute. I have all that. When I say "quality of life" issues I mean lifestyles of the people in these neighborhoods, friendliness, town issues such as zoning issues, taxes on the rise, new retail coming in, parks , entertainment options, community events, etc.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:29 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,660,082 times
"lifestyles of the people in these neighborhoods" and "friendliness" cannot be answered directly IMO. I love my neighborhood because I'm outgoing/I volunteer and know a ton of people...that's just my nature. I also know people in my neighborhood that just pull into their garage at 6pm and you never ever see them......

How "friendly" are you? Are you and your family outgoing? Do you get involved w/the local athletic association? See what I mean..one cannot answer that question. Its what YOU make of the area you live in....one size does not fit all

just my .02

Old 03-11-2011, 09:40 AM

Default Longview Country Club and Skycroft Neighborhoods

Ok, let me get specific then. Are there mostly transplants in these neighborhoods? Are they culturally homogeneous or diverse? What do people in those neighborhoods do on the weekends? Is there a prominent church in the area that they belong to? What kinds of entertainment is available nearby for children?adults? Is there an issue(s) facing the town or that is dividing the people there? Do they lean liberal or conservative? Are there community events that are quite popular? Do you have a preference of one over the other and why?
Do you understand what kind of info I'm after?
Thanks.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:31 PM

985 posts, read 1,891,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard2 View Post
Ok, let me get specific then. Are there mostly transplants in these neighborhoods? Are they culturally homogeneous or diverse? What do people in those neighborhoods do on the weekends? Is there a prominent church in the area that they belong to? What kinds of entertainment is available nearby for children?adults? Is there an issue(s) facing the town or that is dividing the people there? Do they lean liberal or conservative? Are there community events that are quite popular? Do you have a preference of one over the other and why?
Thanks.
Okay I'll try...our neighborhood is full of transplants but also has some natives (Hunter Oaks). It seems rather diverse to me, at least compared to the neighborhood inwhich we moved from only 8 weeks ago.

On weekends, there are people outside, kids outside, both up and down every street and at the parks.

Can't answer the prominent church question, as I know Catholics, Mormons, Baptists, and people that go to the newly opened Elevation church.

Entertainment, depends on age of kids, there is a movie theater close, there are parks, kids hang out at each others houses, neighbors houses, etc.

Entertainment for adults movies, dining, shopping, parks, pools, tennis, biking, walking etc, To be honest there are people all over here (Union county and Charlotte that do all kinds of outdoor things all the time, no shortage of people doing things here no matter where you live)

I don't know of an issue dividing people..but like I mentioned we are only here 8 weeks.

I have met those that lean liberal and those that lean conservative

Not sure about community events but that is our length of time here, it appears that there is much to do all with 30 minutes if you want. Next weekend there appears to be a big St. Patty's Day parade
Annual St Patrick's Day Parade & Charlotte Goes Green Festival
we have also read about many types of community events, but January/February I would guess are slower months to see these things.

Hope this helps some

Old 03-11-2011, 12:45 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,979,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard2 View Post
Thanks.
Yeah, you want to know what it's like to live there without actually living there... I think we all want that to some regard when considering buying RE. But, Jack's point was right on - you ask all questions and in this thread have provided next to no information about yourself, your family, your interests, your political/religious/etc affiliations. There's no easy way for anyone to answer these questions without a frame of reference. What do you want out of this area? Where are you from? What are you used to? What are you specifically looking to avoid?

Have you spent any time in the area? What were your impressions?

Old 03-11-2011, 06:18 PM

Thank you Mewith3. Your information was very helpful and just what I was looking for. See Mikeykid and CouponJack, those questions weren't so difficult.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:51 PM

79 posts, read 279,370 times
In my development (Lawson), most of us are transplants (alot from NY). We tend to be fiscally conservative and republician leaning. Our development has quite a few community functions at our club house, such as cinco de mayo party, breakfast with Santa, family movie nights at the pool, teen only movie nights at the pool, spring fling, poker tournaments, as well as other activities.

Some of my neighbors go to church on the weekend, while others do not. They do not appear to be overly religious and I have never been ask to join, etc.

I haven't really heard of any type of community issues going on in Lawson and none really effecting the town of Waxhaw. The town also has seasonal events such as 4th of July parade/fireworks, fall fair, 12 days of Xmas w/a parade and a spring fair.

Activities for adults, as one of the poster mentioned, are the usual dining, movies shopping but what I have found is developing and cultivating close relationships among my nieghbors. We have 5-6 families that we socialize as a group taking turns hosting at someone's house, while all our kids play in the bonus room or outside. The kids range in ages from 4 to about 11 with a few 18 months to 16yrs. It's a great mix. Just about every weekend, my 9yr old daughter is having or going to a sleepover. More so in the summer when there is no school.

Not sure if we just lucked out or are some type of an anomoly but it has been great for us.

Good Luck and I hoped my feedback helped!

Old 03-14-2011, 06:15 AM

Default Lawson

Aduke thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to have to check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte