U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 05:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,023 times

Advertisements

Hello...

My husbands job has transferred us to NC. They are giving us a choice to live in Charlotte or Raleigh. I have visited Raleigh and love it! I understand that Charlotte is a larger city. I've heard wonderful things about both areas, but I need some advice to help me make a decision.

I have a 15 year old daughter who will be hoping to make new friends (really difficult age). My priority is to get her settled in a high school that will be open and friendly.

Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 10:22 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,687,923 times
Hi, welcome to NC! The following is something I posted in another thread and it's my personal opinion and experience. I will say however, that Wake County schools (Raleigh) are better than Mecklenburg County (Charlotte). Having said that, you are not bound by the CharMeck School system as there are many other options. I'll say again, quality of life in Charlotte blows Raleigh out of the water!

Quote:
Take Durham? Take Raleigh?? hahaha...that's the funniest thing I've heard all day!

I've lived in both Durham and Raleigh and COULD NOT WAIT to leave there. The guy who mentioned pubs and sports bars was either talking about Raleigh or does not get out much. Raleigh's nightlife is virtually nonexistent. You have two choices in Raleigh: Hilsborough Street which is the main road of NC State Campus and has ALL college bars; or you can go to Glenwood Avenue and have your choice of 2 sports bars, an Irish Pub, a retro tapas bar, one dance club, and a restaurant that turns night club on Thursdays to Sundays.

The quality of life in Charlotte is MUCH better. Real estate is cheaper and represents a "city" significantly better than Raleigh or Durham. While traffic is an issue in Charlotte, it is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Charlotte is very spread out so in general your commute is going to take some time. If you can live near where you work, you'll have no problem. But if your like me and don't mind a little bit of traffic, no worries.

There is so much more to do in Charlotte than either of those places. You have 2 lakes, Raleigh has none (no, I won't consider the polluted Jordan Lake worth mentioning). Raleigh has college sports and NHL, Charlotte has NFL and NBA (although I'd trade college basketball any day for the THUG-BA). Charlotte has arts, 4 and 5 star dining, real night clubs, and a center city.

It all boils down to personal preference, but I think Raleigh is a complete DRAG. There is so much more opportunity in Charlotte and again, the quality of life is great.

General rule of thumb, avoid east and west Charlotte, and stick to north and south Charlotte or surrounding counties.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:09 AM

577 posts, read 1,737,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Hi, welcome to NC! The following is something I posted in another thread and it's my personal opinion and experience. I will say however, that Wake County schools (Raleigh) are better than Mecklenburg County (Charlotte). Having said that, you are not bound by the CharMeck School system as there are many other options. I'll say again, quality of life in Charlotte blows Raleigh out of the water!
Wow, personal opinion and bad information are two different things. Lakes Raleigh has none? except lake Jordon and its polluted? First off Raleigh has three large lakes all within 25 minutes of downtown, Lake Jordon, Falls Lake and Sheron Harris lake. If you drive north about 50 minutes you have the lake that is one of the highest water quality lakes on the east coast,lake Gaston also a very large lake and it is fed from Kerr Res an even bigger lake also known as Buggs island lake. Second point lake Jordon is the lake that supplies drinking water to Apex Cary Holly springs and Raleigh and it is not polluted in any way. also Lake norman is also known as the Dead sea because of its size and large areas of low oxygen which limits its fish population. Bottom line want more big city area Charlotte want more expensive bedroom communty Raleigh.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Wow, personal opinion and bad information are two different things. Lakes Raleigh has none? except lake Jordon and its polluted? First off Raleigh has three large lakes all within 25 minutes of downtown, Lake Jordon, Falls Lake and Sheron Harris lake. If you drive north about 50 minutes you have the lake that has the cleanest water quality on the east coast Gaston also a very large lake and it is fed from Kerr Res an even bigger lake also known as Buggs island lake. Second point lake Jordon is the lake that supplies drinking water to Apex Cary Holly springs and Raleigh and it is not polluted in any way. also Lake norman is also known as the Dead sea because of its size and large areas of low oxygen which limits its fish population. Bottom line want more big city area Charlotte want more expensive bedroom communty Raleigh.
I would not consider Lake Gaston "part" of Raleigh, although it is a small, quaint lake and I've enjoyed it myself. Lake Jordan does indeed have water quality issues, research it yourself. Lake life in Charlotte is more convenient and more desirable. There is no entertainment around Raleigh ponds.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
I would not consider Lake Gaston "part" of Raleigh, although it is a small, quaint lake and I've enjoyed it myself. Lake Jordan does indeed have water quality issues, research it yourself. Lake life in Charlotte is more convenient and more desirable. There is no entertainment around Raleigh ponds.
Gaston Quaint lake ?....585 Miles of shoreline. And by the way Norman is in Mooresville. Im kinda thinking you never have been to these lakes. Come and visit very popular and not at all small.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Gaston Quaint lake ?....585 Miles of shoreline. And by the way Norman is in Mooresville. Im kinda thinking you never have been to these lakes. Come and visit very popular and not at all small.
You know what, I got Lake Gaston confused with a small lake south or Raleigh, my bad. Now that I think about it, isn't there some excellent camping in Gaston? Anyways, Gaston is further away than either of the two lakes are in Charlotte. Yes Lake Norman is technically in Huntersville, Cornelius, Mooresville, Davidson, Denver, etc, but the most popular areas (the first 3 cities, especially the first 2 which are in the same county as Charlotte) are right close to Charlotte. Huntersville neighbors Charlotte and Cornelius shares the same exit as Huntersville, exit 25.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:18 PM

Its all good, Both areas have there good points, drive times to good lakes is about equal in both places and Raleigh gets you to the coast in less then two hours. Im home grown NC and have fished all the lakes in this state as well as coast and sounds so any qeustions on this topic I can help ya out. Norman is a big lake but would be my least favorite of the real Carolina lakes but my interests are mostly fishing not cruising and partying.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
mostly fishing not cruising and partying.
There in lies the differences!!

Old 07-21-2007, 09:00 AM

237 posts, read 777,703 times
My wife and I moved from NY to NC. We looked in both Raleigh and Charlotte areas. We both loved Cary, but found that we could get more house for the money in the Charlotte area. Charlotte has a higher crime rate than the raleigh area does. The Wake County school system is better than the Charlotte Mecklenburg school system. We are looking for a house in the Mooresville area. The school system is comparable to Wake County. The area of Lake Norman is beautiful, a lot of things to do. Commuting to Charlotte for work will be rough, however coming from NY I am accustomed to that.
It all depends on what you are looking for. Charlotte has more things to do, and can in im opinion porvide a better variety of things to do outside of work. If possible visit both areas and try to get a feel of what each has to offer. What is good for one person is not necessarily good for another.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,785 times
I live in Raleigh and my girlfriend lives in Charlotte. I'm in Charlotte 2 weekends
out of the month.
I love both places. But, I think Raleigh is safer. Raleigh has less of the night life scene for young and single professionals compare to Charlotte. Charlotte has a very lively modern uptown that lately has become so sketchy. It looks like a big ghetto party on the streets. I stop going out in uptown Charlotte and so did many of my friends there.
I think for a family with kids Raleigh-cary area should be better and safer. For a young single person Charlotte is the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or