Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 02:42 PM

958 posts, read 1,716,801 times

Advertisements

Please list what you consider the best HS in South Charlotte.

Myers Park
Providence
Audrey Kell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 03:42 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,281,743 times
If your student is high achieving with a strong desire for learning and intellectual development, the IB program at Myers Park is the best. For a regular student I would say Audrey Kell first. Providence and Myers Park would be tied for second - too close to call - but with very different environments.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:20 PM

554 posts, read 1,503,181 times
Ardrey Kell

Old 02-05-2011, 04:30 PM

39 posts, read 103,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
If your student is high achieving with a strong desire for learning and intellectual development, the IB program at Myers Park is the best. For a regular student I would say Audrey Kell first. Providence and Myers Park would be tied for second - too close to call - but with very different environments.
Can you expand on your view regarding the very different environments? We are also relocating, from LI/NY, and are looking at Myers Park, Ballantyne and Matthews areas, mostly for the schools. But obviously there are other things to consider.

Thank you.

Last edited by tbertz; 02-05-2011 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-05-2011, 05:14 PM

958 posts, read 1,716,801 times
Public HS's.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:53 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,281,743 times
I hate to generalize because there are all types of students at all the high schools. Among those students who are wealthy, I can say that Myers Park has more established Charlotte families (old money) since it is in an established high income area (but MP also serves other neighborhoods), while Providence will have more nouveau riche and newcomers. Audrey Kell will have the most newcomers of all since it's in recently developed suburbs. Myers Park has a higher black population - at around 22%. Providence will be the most white. I know Myers Park most from my son's experience. His IB classes are challenging but rewarding.
The school progress reports at this link may prove helpful:
School Progress Reports
(open up high school tab at bottom)
@tbertz - the areas you mention probably don't differ as much as they do on LI - suffice it to say that Myers Park is more in the city so will have a slighty different mix of families of the type who want to live in a "city" (for Charlotte) neighborhood where there are sidewalks for the most part.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:05 AM

852 posts, read 2,460,949 times
Myers Park has a better Rugby team -Providence is rebuilding theirs and will be good this year and next. I don't think Ardrey Kell has a rugby team.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:19 AM

841 posts, read 1,426,147 times
Ardrey Kell. Hands down.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:48 PM

240 posts, read 730,052 times
Smile best HS

Ardrey kell - we got a very large amount of IB kids from Myers Park (the one's who did not want to transfer to East Meck).
AK is very, very academically competitive and there are many very clever and workaholic students there.
I have a Junior at the school and feel this is the best place for her to be even though her stress level can be very high at times!!!!!

Old 02-06-2011, 03:24 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,378,470 times
I have a general question on AK and CMS schools. My son had a Bball game there couple weeks ago and I was surprised that I had to go through a metal detector and there are closed circuit TVs all over. Is this standard for CMS schools or something that AK decided to do? I haven't seen this at Weddington or other schools in UC. I suppose in today's day it is not a bad idea but wondering if this is done at all schools in the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte