Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 06:40 PM

554 posts, read 1,507,250 times

Advertisements

There was a discussion about this not too long ago (maybe 6+ months ago??) about people complaining that live in Cureton and the resale and value of their home due to this plant. I thought that this problem was solved in favor of the home owners. I guess not. Anyone recall what I'm referring to?

How about Millbridge? I'm assuming you can smell it there too, right? With all the "future plans" for Waxhaw, I wonder what they are going to do about this? And why have I never smelled it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 07:05 AM

540 posts, read 1,705,433 times
jdubs, where you live, in Lawson, doesn't smell 99% of the time. Dont know what your complaint is. The only time the "scent" works its way to lawson are when there is a low cloud ceiling or fog that doesnt allow the fragrences to escape. On a typical day, IE: pool day, there is no aroma of anything...

Old 02-07-2011, 08:13 AM

65 posts, read 175,732 times
I live in the Millbridge section on Waxhaw/Marvin Road, just down the road from Prescott and have never smelled the plant from our house. The only time I've ever smelled it is driving by the plant itself.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 AM

65 posts, read 175,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubs1017 View Post
I'd rather NOT say where I am so I can pull the "poop" over someone else's nose! I am a few miles from it but I assure you...it does smell every week at least a few times!! I feel so DUMB for having bought here! Those that bought right across from it are INSANE!!
If I am reading this correctly, doesn't this comment go against what this forum is about? Aren't we supposed to be here to solicit and give opinions and information to better help ourselves and each other?

Just because you feel you got screwed, you're not willing to help someone else make the same mistake? That's pretty childish!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,435 times
I live about as close as you can get to the plant in Quellin (you can get closer in Cureton), and we knew about it going into the deal. Yes, even after it was capped there are times when it doesn't smell so great around our area. But I would say the issues are far less frequent, and then they only seem to come about during inclement, or low cloud weather when you're not spending much time outside anyway. If the weather is clear, 97-99% of the time you forget it's even there. And again, I live as close as you can get to the thing without being in Cureton.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:05 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
One thing I've noticed about anytime a thread comes up about Quellin and the smell, you'll have "drive by" posters who post things like "the smell has been capped", or "you don't smell it 97-99% of the time..".....then you never hear from them again. (ie Chloe8,kerby49, and now we have tedoff)

Its just very funny to see a new account pop up and you'll never hear from them again......wonder if they have some financial interest to not tell the truth w/this or something...)

Old 02-07-2011, 12:18 PM

540 posts, read 1,705,433 times
Jack, I'm still here - posted about it before and can go outside right now, from Lawson and not smell a thing...you only smell it when there is something keeping the air from rising...that's a fact.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:21 PM

79 posts, read 159,202 times
I drive down that way at least once a week and it has stunk every time. Maybe I just have a super sensitive nose, but it's pretty aggressive IMO. I never knew what that facility was, but put 2 and 2 together after experiencing the smell on multiple occasions.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:42 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Since this comes up so often I figured I'd help with visualization... I did the pins in Firefox so not sure if this works in IE.

Proximity certainly plays into this, but I am making no other comments about these subdivisions except to note the closest I'm aware of...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...6d6c2e20a01405

Old 02-07-2011, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,435 times
CouponJack, yes I have a fairly large interest in the quality of the area, considering I own a house right next to the plant. It's definitely not all roses every day. When it's bad you don't want to be out there. But it's definitely not as bad as it was.

It used to be that you could smell the plant on any given day, at any time of day, randomly. It wasn't bad or noticeable all the time, but you never knew when you might get "hit" with the odor. Maybe it depended on the wind. Now, though, as I said, if there's no overcast it's just not noticeable. And even then, the cloud cover has to be pretty low to keep the stink around. On a clear day, there's very rarely an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte