Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:16 AM

285 posts, read 800,027 times

Advertisements

We live about 4 miles from there off Waxhaw indian trail, and I'll tell you, everytime we pass the newtown corner, i smell skunk or something like it. its driving me crazy, or is it just from the farms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 05:10 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,131 times
You people should be thankful. Now that all this development has overtaken Union County you don't get the pleasure of the spring morning smell of Chicken and turkey crap freshly spread on the fields. Not to mention the tiny black beetles that accompany the smell. How about a row of chicken houses a mile or so down the road. And all of us natives can never forget Bowater Paper plant. That was a daily occurrence. You don't have it that bad. Anyone that purchases near a waste treatment plant has to know,......it's gonna smell some time!!

Old 02-27-2011, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,586 times
Is anyone familiar with how this treatment plant affects the Chimneys of Marvin neighborhoods? We are looking at relocating and noticed this plant on Google Earth and are wondering if this smell is noticeable there or not?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:23 AM

41 posts, read 156,384 times
LAXFAM, that community is miles away and would absolutely have no affect on that community. Maybe the cows and horses nearby depending on your lot, but definitely not the treatment plant.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:18 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intellegentz View Post
LAXFAM, that community is miles away and would absolutely have no affect on that community. Maybe the cows and horses nearby depending on your lot, but definitely not the treatment plant.
Good point.

In general, also be on the look out for chicken farms. You don't want to find out after you have purchased that you are downwind from one of these in the middle of summer.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:13 AM

123 posts, read 282,921 times
You know that you mention it...it does smell more like a paper mill than sewage! My wife kept saying that too...I never listen! It is rare lately but nonetheless we do smell it at times...

Old 03-10-2011, 05:18 AM

22 posts, read 71,395 times
Default bigger problems in Hollister

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
That's a long way and don't see how that can be - Weddington?!

Either way, I think you have a bigger issue over in Hollister then smell.
what bigger problems do we have? I assume you know something we don't. Now i am really worried. Please expand on that comment

Old 03-10-2011, 06:07 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzeaw1 View Post
what bigger problems do we have? I assume you know something we don't. Now i am really worried. Please expand on that comment
I don't know anything for sure, but I was referring to the fact that Hollister is a huge development that is basically empty. Hopefully that changes if Shea starts building in there again.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:01 PM

60 posts, read 120,270 times
I'm so glad to have read about this "smell" I was looking at the area last week (didn't smell anything but was only there an hour) Is the smell through out the town - or only in certain areas - I realize depending how the wind blows - it'd be everywhere at some point - but I mean in general..

I hear someone mention they heard the gun shots?? where was this?? I'm just freaked because I heard all great things about Waxhaw and it looked real nice - but now I'm concerned..

Old 06-05-2011, 06:21 AM

540 posts, read 1,705,433 times
Crap, not again...NO it does not smell anymore...Every once in a while, on a low cloudy / foggy day, you can smell something, but as someone else had said, it's more than likely the wet orange clay producing that smell....and the gunshots are from a firing range nearby, not from random people driving through the streets shooting things up....Cmon now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte