U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 09:06 PM

128 posts, read 356,863 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-

Has anyone from New Jersey or New York moved to Charlotte and they have gotten more sinus issues because of allergies? I have some issue in NJ as I have gotten older (never had allergies as a kid or up to my 40's) then all of a sudden would get 2-3 sinus infections/inflammations a year due to allergies.

My husband and I visited Charleston at the end of April when everything was blooming and I had an allergy attack that made my week stay almost unbearable even with zyrtec and flonase! It was more than just being stuffy--I actually felt dizzy, nauseous, pounding headache, my teeth even hurt. Once i was back in NJ it went away.

We just recently visited Charlotte to look around for our relo and we were in Waxhaw/Weddington and had the same issues with a migraine to top it off. I felt this on and off during our end of Jan trip. Unfortunately, even though it is winter in Charlotte, I believe it might of been allergies which has caused a sinus infection for me for the last two weeks. I have been to Charlotte once before in the summer and was fine and in Raleigh last October and did not have an issue. I know that Charlotte is allergy central from some of th blogs i have read, but wondering how people from up north have faired.

Any thoughts and comments are welcome since we are planning on coming down towards the end of March for another look ar the area to make final plans. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 09:22 PM

299 posts, read 511,116 times
My husband complains about this. I hear other people say this too. Luckily, I don't suffer allergies, but I've heard that some people develop allergies here.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:59 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,947,382 times
If you have allergies to pollen, you will go nuts from approx Feb-May. At least, this is my experience; I have grass pollen allergy. My allergy just gives me a runny nose and lots of sneezing. Though I am drugged I don't experience them past a week but then I am like a zombie (I take benedryl which makes you drowsy). You will definitely notice it. Cars get draped in yellow.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:43 AM

2,149 posts, read 2,626,470 times
I work with several people that come from the north that never had allergies until they got here and now it's bad. I've lived here all my life but still have allergies and from March to mid-April I'm on Allegra daily and that doesn't totally solve it for me. OTC meds don't touch my allergies and by the sounds of what you experienced in Charleston you might want to try some stronger prescription meds.

I love spring but hate the pollen.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:59 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,349,177 times
Get an allergy prescription and take them everyday without fail....this will prevent your symptoms.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:51 PM

812 posts, read 1,653,611 times
This area is horrible for allergies. I went to Pittsburgh for 5 yrs and moved back 5 yrs ago...after 5 sinus infections last spring I started back on allergy shots. So far some sniffles but NO major sickness since I started this past summer.

My last 2 yrs in Charlotte before we moved up north were miserable with sinus infections which were resolved when I started up allergy shots before moving. It is a necessary evil.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:29 PM

128 posts, read 356,863 times
Thanks, everyone--- are the allergy shots safe?

Old 02-06-2011, 09:24 PM

812 posts, read 1,653,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyart View Post
well there is always a chance of a reaction just like any medication

I had 1 reaction with my 1st round but have been thru 4 diff. allergy offices since then because of moves/job changes.

This doc gave me an epi pen for delayed reactions and taking claritin or something similar before injections can reduce your chances.

I'm a respiratory therapist and haven't met anyone else that has had a problem. I am doing my injections at home to save $ this time around bc my insurance blows. But after those 5 sinus infections last spring and all the $ I spent on OTC meds, dr visit copays and lost work....it was a small price to pay to stop being sick AGAIN.

Last year I was constantly trying everything out there...Insurance co would reject anything that had a possible OTC that I should be taking instead of the rx the Dr would give me. I even tried doing the neti pot after several friends/family swore they had success with them. Did nothing for me.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:52 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,311,470 times
My husband and one of my sons have sinus/allergy issues everyday since we moved here from NJ 3 years ago.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:23 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,947,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyart View Post
For the most part yes. Personally though you can get by with over the counter pills (i.e. Allegra, Benedryl, Claritine, Zyrtec) and/or nasal sprays (i.e. Flonase)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or