U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 04:59 PM

928 posts, read 3,532,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
It's ok here. It won't take too long for taxes to skyrocket though. It's already happening. I like it here. It's not shangra-la (sp?) but it's sure better than Buffalo.
Groove quit telling everyone about our secret of the south our i'm gonna have to knock your block off. it's just like buffalo, just worse, and the people are super, duper nice, and the heat is super hot...and you'll love it and now the secret is out. But, actually, the grass is really brown right now because it rain is pretty sparse. Welcome to the south and good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 05:03 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,392,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
For some reason this just jumped out at me right now. There's such thing as a very nice ghetto anywhere in this country? I know you're digging Charlotte and all, that's cool for you, but a very nice, docile ghetto?

I know you're making a comparison and I'm not trying to jump on you...but a very nice, docile ghetto?
Feeling a bit like the Lone Ranger, Brian? LOL, well, as ususal I don't totally agree with you, but I totally get what you are saying

As far as ghetto's being docile, I really think all StPete meant was that our "ghetto" areas (though we really don't have true ghetto's in Charlotte) are not as violent and unsafe as cities with real ghetto's like LA or Chicago. In fact, some of our worst neighborhoods look pretty okay as you ride down the street.

Listen, I am with you on wanting to warn people not to come here expecting paradise. Many people do seem to have decided this is "it" without having even visited yet! And because this is not paradise, it's not perfect, much less a perfect fit for everyone who comes. I am so sorry this has turned out to be the case for you, because frankly I like my fellow residents to be smart, thinking individuals (like you). You will be missed when you are gone, and believe it or not, I think you will miss NC more than you realize when you actually leave.

Our op wanted to hear the good, and bad, parts about relocating here - I think she's gotten that in all the posts on the thread While I do believe in accentuating the positive, I have no problem with people like you pointing out some of the negatives, because they do exist. As for me, I came here 20 years ago fully expecting to go back "home" in 2 years and could never bring myself to leave. This city has been a great place to raise my kids. I truly wish your experience had been better, or even close to mine

Old 07-21-2007, 05:36 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,277,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Feeling a bit like the Lone Ranger, Brian? LOL, well, as ususal I don't totally agree with you, but I totally get what you are saying

As far as ghetto's being docile, I really think all StPete meant was that our "ghetto" areas (though we really don't have true ghetto's in Charlotte) are not as violent and unsafe as cities with real ghetto's like LA or Chicago. In fact, some of our worst neighborhoods look pretty okay as you ride down the street.

Listen, I am with you on wanting to warn people not to come here expecting paradise. Many people do seem to have decided this is "it" without having even visited yet! And because this is not paradise, it's not perfect, much less a perfect fit for everyone who comes. I am so sorry this has turned out to be the case for you, because frankly I like my fellow residents to be smart, thinking individuals (like you). You will be missed when you are gone, and believe it or not, I think you will miss NC more than you realize when you actually leave.

Our op wanted to hear the good, and bad, parts about relocating here - I think she's gotten that in all the posts on the thread While I do believe in accentuating the positive, I have no problem with people like you pointing out some of the negatives, because they do exist. As for me, I came here 20 years ago fully expecting to go back "home" in 2 years and could never bring myself to leave. This city has been a great place to raise my kids. I truly wish your experience had been better, or even close to mine
loves, more often than not I feel like the horse the Lone Ranger rode around on as opposed the Lone Ranger himself.

I'm sure I will miss NC to some extent. I'll miss driving along Speedway Blvd with a pick of the resturaunts, I'll miss the Tuesday night stuff at the Speedway, I'll miss that boardwalk that's a couple of minutes away from work (I sure love Boardwalk Billys), I'll sure as hell miss my best buddy up in Kannapolis (although he himself is contemplating leaving NC but I think he's leaning a little more west as opposed to north). So yeah, there's going to be some readjustment, but the first time I get to see my 4 year old nephew and have it take half an hour as opposed to ten (as well as the one she's expecting around the holidays), the first time a trip to a Rangers or Yankees game doesn't involve plane tickets, the first time I can get a beer at EJ's on the boardwalk at Seaside Heights without using a rental car, missing NC won't be that big of a deal.

As far as being missed? You guys'll be thrilled to get rid of me. I can hear the resounding "YES" all the way from here.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:58 PM

71 posts, read 263,967 times
My neighbors are actually from NJ and they are misreable here. Think long and hard about your move because one you leave, it will be harder for you to go back.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:28 PM

510 posts, read 1,584,744 times
Jayswife, why are your neighbors misreable? Is it work, missing family, finances not what the expected, location of the home, weather, traffic??? There are many thing here that I dislike that I know will be the same down in the Carolina's except my family is not moving with me so that is a really big issue.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:18 PM

48 posts, read 293,024 times
I agree with anothe poster here re expectations... We all have expectations of what life "should" be where we want to go... We visit, we hear all the people that love it and for some, when they do it, it is not what they thought it should or would have been ... That is one reason I am thinking long and hard. While FL is diff then NC, about 10 yrs ago when many people I knew ran to FL, after a yr or 2 (at this time they still could afford to) they came up, it wasn't what they "Expected" -

Old 07-21-2007, 09:07 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,628,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
When we moved here my mind was as open as possible to spending the rest of my life down here. I made a quick trip back up north not long after moving down here and it was then that I thought I had made the right decision in leaving New Jersey. Time wore on and I fell in love with the area, there was no way I could ever move back to New Jersey. Then we made one trip back up. I can still remember telling my folks how incredible it was down here, how much better NC is that New Jersey, all in an effort to see if they could ever move down. After that weekend was done it turned out that the badmouthing of New Jersey should've been aimed more at North Carolina. I think it was around then that I realized that I had tried as hard as I could to love living down here to the point of convincing myself everything I said was true.. The honeymoon phase with North Carolina ended and it ended huge.

And face facts: Nobody wants to make the move, spend all of that time and money into doing it, just to turn around and go back to where they came from. So they'll do everything they can to convince themselves to love it because they're already here. Not saying that happens to everyone, but I do know of one person who's doing just that.

As far as the appeal to the area? I don't know if I necessarily agree with everything you've said. I wouldn't call it ugly or depressing. There's some beauty left as long as you don't see one of all-too-numerous "zoned for residential" signs close to the road.

Do I like living down here? Pretty obvious...not really. Like you said, aside from the housing there ain't all that much left. Something I've come to realize is that there's far more to life than a big house that you'll spend more waking time away from every week.

You don't get all that after less than two months of living here.

Thanks for sharing that, that was honest and probably not easy. I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure when you go home, you will have a whole new appreciation for the area you left. You never know you like something till you try it and you gave it your best shot........Good Luck

Old 07-21-2007, 09:07 PM

58 posts, read 116,237 times
I'm from Central NJ and will be returning in a few months, which was the plan all along for me. I am only here for business. If I had to stay here, it wouldn't be a good move for me.

There are plenty of people here that are recent transplants from NY/NJ. How they are received by the "locals" varies from person to person. You will definitely run into at least a few Charlotte natives who are highly defensive about the northerners moving into the region. What it is they're trying to defend, I don't know. From my understanding there were cows all over the place until people started to move here from the north. Then the growth followed.

Even on this board I've already encountered one minor problem over something that was little more than a cultural difference, but that's not a big deal to me. Like I said, I'm not staying anyway.

Should you give up what you have in what is essentially the "Capital of the World" to come here and be labelled "another northerner"? I wouldn't do it. In the end you will save some money. It's less expensive here in general, and just about everything is closed by 10pm. You would have to really go out of your way to NOT find the financial benefits of living here. That might appeal to you, and if it does, then you won't be disappointed.

But you have to decide if that's worth it to you. If you will miss the Jersey Shore, New York City, top-notch public transportation, and things like that, you will go crazy here in short order. Some people want to get away from those things. If that is you, you might be happy here.

I'm sure that won't sit well with some of the locals on here, but it's a matter of opinion.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:30 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,277,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Thanks for sharing that, that was honest and probably not easy. I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure when you go home, you will have a whole new appreciation for the area you left. You never know you like something till you try it and you gave it your best shot........Good Luck
If anything it's one less "what if..." that I'll have to live with later on in life. Sure New Jersey is pricey but I got far more out of life for the cost of living up there than I ever would down here.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:35 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,767,902 times
Family, we moved with NO family and for what it is worth my family wasnt and hasnt been very supportive of this move...but maybe for us we felt so comfortable here is that we made so many trips down here we knew whre we were and what we were looking for and this was it...all states have their negitives and positives however for us the positives out weighed the negs, and well all the people we have met tht we have become friendly with really do love it here I know that is difficult for some to believe but not EVERYONE is miserable here who are from the Northeast or Florida for that matter.... It was a very tough deision for us as my family kept us in Jersey for so many years but I wasnt ready to leave...but after doing my reserach and figuring there HAD to be another WAY to life I started to think that my children and dh come first as well as all of our happiness....my son had issues also which played a big part for us but also that is another story...visit as often as u can before making the decison to move and like I said only you know the right decison these people on the board dont know u from adam so to speak...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte