Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 10:44 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times

Advertisements

Id like to thank those who gave me Positive feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 11:03 PM

19 posts, read 51,577 times
i totally agree..we first came to charlotte on a humble in 2003...my other half owned a record store in bmore at the time and had quite a bit of business coming from charlotte..so we decided to just jump in the car and drive down..We were impressed our first visit..so a few months later we came back..JUST TO BE SURE we werent dreaming..we drove around, looked at some neighborhoods, houses, new and old communities and we put our plan in motion..in 2004 i got pregnant..which stopped all plans for moving..but that gave us time to really think..by 2005 we were ready to start thinking about moving again..especially with an addition to the family..i spent 2 years on the charlotte meck school system website...investigating schools here..in BMORE i refused to let my son attend public school so he attended private school since kindergarten..Therefore, the thought of saving money on tuition WAS A PLUS..we came down again in 2005..the community that we looked at in 2003 was up and running..

but AGAIN we waited to make ABSOLUTELY SURE we were ready to leave EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY WE KNEW..had to make sure we LIKED not LOVED but LIKED each other ENOUGH..because having no FRIENDS we would be spending ALOT of time TOGETHER..

in 2006..we put the money down and the construction on out home began..

So, it took us 3 years to actually make the decision..BUT we did alot of research..made many decisions and MADE SOUND DECISIONS..All in All we believe we did the right thing for our family...

we still like each other, my son who is 13 LOVES IT HERE, and my 3 year could really careless..we are discovering new things about Charlotte every day..And LIFE is IMO is all about DISCOVERY..LEARNING..EXPLORING..and EXPERIENCING..at least my life is..and right now I AM LOVING LIFE!

Old 07-21-2007, 11:11 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I'd prefer shooting pool myself.
Well possibly we could meet somewhere in the middle and try bowling as I totally stink at pool (considering I spent 3 solid months of college freshman year in the campus game room playing pool and earthshaker)...

Old 07-22-2007, 09:50 AM

348 posts, read 429,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
I have never been to New Jersey, so I can only speak from this end. I grew up on a 100 acre farm the youngest of five children still living. I keep reading on here about people looking for $400,000 homes in subdivisions. Living in a subdivision with that many children sounds like a nightmare to me. Why not look for some land and build a house the size you really need. You could grow your own food, have farm animals, privacy, cleaner air because of the trees, your children would not be bored, you could choose your children's friends because you drive to get them or their parents bring them over. I don't know your occupation, but if I were looking for a home in North Carolina with that amount of money and could work in any area, I would be looking for land. Some farms are being sold across the state. People who live on farms are usually a higher class of people than the people I have met just moving in.

My husband and I drive by these developments with huge houses sitting on 1/4 acre and just shake our heads. Our house is smaller but we have enough land to breathe. If we had had more money when we were buying, we would have bought more land, not a bigger house.
It is not realistic to find land here. We tried for three years, and the builders have a lock on the best and biggest pieces. Land is also very expensive here in areas with good schools. Finding land in Union COunty is virtually impossible unless you are willing to go to the far out reaches. Realtors virtually ignore your calls, because they are getting finders $$'s from builders. All I was left looking at were lots on main roads near power-lines.

I agree with you about those subdivisions! I couldn't live like that either (I have and didn't care for it). I found an older house on 3 acres that needed some work--it was a happy medium for us. But there are folks that love that new construction with that insta-neighborhood feel that has lots of kids and cul-de-sacs. And when you come from NJ, that 1/4 acre can seem huge. LOL! NJ, for example, is the most populated state in the nation for its size. There are more drivers in NJ than anywhere else in the US.... So, I can understand why people love their subdivisions too. Different strokes for different folks!

There's something to be said for those nice roomy homes with big closets and all the amenities--albeit on smaller parcels of property. There are also people that don't want to maintain a huge property and all the work that that requires. They're perfectly okay sitting on their decks sipping an iced-tea watching all the neighborhood kids play together.

I see the positives/negatives in each side of it. Hey, to each his own!

Last edited by lisaf; 07-22-2007 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-22-2007, 10:25 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaf View Post
It is not realistic to find land here. We tried for three years, and the builders have a lock on the best and biggest pieces. Land is also very expensive here in areas with good schools. Finding land in Union COunty is virtually impossible unless you are willing to go to the far out reaches. Realtors virtually ignore your calls, because they are getting finders $$'s from builders. All I was left looking at were lots on main roads near power-lines.
I know of some BEAUTIFUL land for custom built homes, 1-25 acres a lot, in Gaston, Rowan, and Cabarrus Counties. Horses welcome too! PM me if you're interested!

Old 07-22-2007, 06:28 PM

lt may I ask where do you live?? my son is 12

Old 07-22-2007, 06:35 PM

we didnt live in mega sub-divisions when we lived in NJ, we did live in developments though...my 2nd house we built was 2 acres and omg way too much land for us and the house was too big as well....everyone had 2-3 acres of land it just wasnt for us anymore...my last house we had 3/4 of an acre, we put in an inground pool and alot of concrete and were very happy with the amount we had....This time around I have .33 It looks like a park, im in a development with 1000 homes and we love this life...so it isnt for everyone, as we had lived in both, rural and non-rural in NJ and prefer the Non-Rural...I live in a cul-de-sac and yes we do love it since Im not worrying about driviers hitting the kids on the street....but that is just us...however I do love driving to wesley chapel and weddington because its just beautiful out there and open....but I couldnt live there

Old 07-22-2007, 07:04 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,056 times
Default ncmomoftwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMOMOFTWO View Post
Family, we moved with NO family and for what it is worth my family wasnt and hasnt been very supportive of this move...but maybe for us we felt so comfortable here is that we made so many trips down here we knew whre we were and what we were looking for and this was it...all states have their negitives and positives however for us the positives out weighed the negs, and well all the people we have met tht we have become friendly with really do love it here I know that is difficult for some to believe but not EVERYONE is miserable here who are from the Northeast or Florida for that matter.... It was a very tough deision for us as my family kept us in Jersey for so many years but I wasnt ready to leave...but after doing my reserach and figuring there HAD to be another WAY to life I started to think that my children and dh come first as well as all of our happiness....my son had issues also which played a big part for us but also that is another story...visit as often as u can before making the decison to move and like I said only you know the right decison these people on the board dont know u from adam so to speak...
I have the same mind set - I gave you the rep points because you are so on point all the time. I started my family after I moved to NC. I figure I'd need daycare if I lived in NC or NY and I wouldn't have family support in either place. Why not trade blizzards for sunshine. Atleast I don't need a parka for 5 months a year anymore. Happiness is so important.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:22 PM

478 posts, read 959,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMOMOFTWO View Post
Id like to thank those who gave me Positive feedback
To commerate the 40th anniversary of 1967's Summer of Love in San Francisco.... I think everyone should just start giving free rep's.

Tune in
Turn on
Rep out

Charlotte, '07.

Just use protection, everyone.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:24 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post
To commerate the 40th anniversary of 1967's Summer of Love in San Francisco.... I think everyone should just start giving free rep's.

Tune in
Turn on
Rep out

Charlotte, '07.

Just use protection, everyone.
That's beautiful, man...really beautiful....from now on it's a free concert!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte