Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,856 times

Advertisements

Check how they list your # of bathrooms...3 on my block were wrong on room info.....
Check foreclosures in your zip code....go to google and enter foreclosures and your zip
Check home sales in your zip code... compare apples to apples... ranch to ranch....3 bedroom to 3 bedroom .... no garage to no garage...location to location.
If you can, check the crime in your area.
THAT affects selling value.
Construction affects selling value... is your house made of siding, or fake brick, etc.
NOT just square feet.
Take pictures of your interior.
Some of my neighbors, elderly, retired, etc. have not remodeled their homes and have the same avacodo 1960's green cabinets, etc. Photos can help deter having the tax man come into your house.
The appeal form does NOT ask IF you have done remodeling...
It ASSumes you have!!! and tells you to list them.
Also, the hearst celenease corp. contaminated groundwater a few years ago in Starmount/Montclaire areas. They guaranteed people in the selected "tiers" to guaranteed tax value or purchase price, help with closing costs, interest free home improvement loans with parts forgiven for living in the home, if you rent your house, perks for that. Was told that some people could not grow vegetables in their backyard due to contamination. HC says their decontamination wells pumped out the stuff and it was treated, discharged, etc. However, it is now a disclosure.
There is no way my house would sell for nearly 213,000 !!!!! That is 55% MORE than they said it was worth in 2003....AND the elderly, disabled, were told there is no significant reason for a cost of living increase for social security, disability, so just cut back.
The government says there IS a cost of living increase for THEM.
I hope the tax office gets deluged with the truth of their errors and corrections are made.
Read in the observer that California passed a law that once a house is purchased, the property taxes STAY what they were from the time of purchase....until it is sold...THEN the NEW owner pays the increase. Want to lobby for that law here....and a law for those who risk their very LIVES for our country...military, whether disabled or not, have no property taxes period.

Peace and Prayers for the truth to prevail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 04:47 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirromyram View Post
Check how they list your # of bathrooms...3 on my block were wrong on room info.....
Check foreclosures in your zip code....go to google and enter foreclosures and your zip
Check home sales in your zip code... compare apples to apples... ranch to ranch....3 bedroom to 3 bedroom .... no garage to no garage...location to location.
If you can, check the crime in your area.
THAT affects selling value.
Construction affects selling value... is your house made of siding, or fake brick, etc.
NOT just square feet.
Take pictures of your interior.
Some of my neighbors, elderly, retired, etc. have not remodeled their homes and have the same avacodo 1960's green cabinets, etc. Photos can help deter having the tax man come into your house.
The appeal form does NOT ask IF you have done remodeling...
It ASSumes you have!!! and tells you to list them.
Also, the hearst celenease corp. contaminated groundwater a few years ago in Starmount/Montclaire areas. They guaranteed people in the selected "tiers" to guaranteed tax value or purchase price, help with closing costs, interest free home improvement loans with parts forgiven for living in the home, if you rent your house, perks for that. Was told that some people could not grow vegetables in their backyard due to contamination. HC says their decontamination wells pumped out the stuff and it was treated, discharged, etc. However, it is now a disclosure.
There is no way my house would sell for nearly 213,000 !!!!! That is 55% MORE than they said it was worth in 2003....AND the elderly, disabled, were told there is no significant reason for a cost of living increase for social security, disability, so just cut back.
The government says there IS a cost of living increase for THEM.
I hope the tax office gets deluged with the truth of their errors and corrections are made.
Read in the observer that California passed a law that once a house is purchased, the property taxes STAY what they were from the time of purchase....until it is sold...THEN the NEW owner pays the increase. Want to lobby for that law here....and a law for those who risk their very LIVES for our country...military, whether disabled or not, have no property taxes period.

Peace and Prayers for the truth to prevail.
I don't think we want to trade California's problems for ours. Most of what you are saying is good info but you also need to consider that stuff like ground water should already be considered by the market. The tax rate on 1/1/11 is suppose to be market.

The method they are using this year is heavy on values/price ratio. This is determined by the neighborhood and not individual house. Check the real estate lookup site to make sure it is right. The values of a garage and additions should be there. Check the comps to make sure the increase % are similar and correct to market.

Number of rooms and baths won't make as much difference as square footage.

I am unable to verify what you say about the military not paying property taxes in California. I don't believe that is accurate.

First, military personnel may choose to live in base housing if available. If not then they receive an allowance from the military for off base housing. That benefit is in part to make up for that kind of tax.

North Carolina has several major military bases and cities like Jacksonville would collapse if Marines could use county services but there was no income from them.

Now, by all means appeal. Nothing wrong with that if you have a case. But the best thing you can do for the elderly is make sure they know about the homestead exemption (and those 100% disabled too) so they can immediately get a break regardless of the tax reval. You would truly be a saint for anyone not taking advantage of this if you helped them get hooked up.

Tax Relief

Old 02-18-2011, 09:16 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times
I'm sure there will be some errors, but I have had three people ask me to take a look at it and provide my opinion for their new tax value...all three were pretty much spot on.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:13 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,962 times
Yesterday a guy came out and measured my house. His measurement was only 5% lower than what the county has. I am going to take a close look at the assessments of other nearby homes before I decide whether or not to appeal.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
Yesterday a guy came out and measured my house. His measurement was only 5% lower than what the county has. I am going to take a close look at the assessments of other nearby homes before I decide whether or not to appeal.
Not sure if I offered by DM me your address and I'll send you some links that will show what's happening around you. Exact address can show if something's wrong with yours but if you want to remain private just send me the name of the road and city.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:38 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,469 times
Quote:
Seems like this thread has gotten mixed up with some revaluation posts. My posts and my experience are specific to incorrect square footage on the tax record.

My client's home had an additional square footage because of the vaulted family room. In their case, given they would be refunded 5 years of over payed property taxes and it was obvious the square footage was wrong, it was well worth going through the process. In your case I am not sure what 5% works out to. If you live around homes that have the same floorplan as yours and same lot size you could look up their tax bill and find out how much you were over charged. Either was if they square footage is not correct you will continue to be over charged. Even if that equals only $100/year it is your $100. After 10 years, well I'm sure you can do the math. I would only be cautious if you have done some improvements inside that you do not want to go on the tax record. Otherwise there really is no reason not to call 311 and ask them to send someone and correct the square footage on record. Let us know how it works out...

Old 03-04-2011, 03:36 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,962 times
Even at the corrected lower square footage I can't make a strong case for a lower assessment. Unless you are telling me that the square footage mistake alone, by itself, is reason for a lower assessment. Here are the percentage increases of the houses on my street (on my side of the street). On a percentage basis, my assessment was not raised as much as my neighbors, so it's hard for me to complain. $ per square foot also does not stand out.

36.95% 34.41% 36.00% 31.76% 31.61% 34.75% 33.92% 26.26%<=This is me
31.10% 31.25% 28.00%

Old 03-04-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Even at the corrected lower square footage I can't make a strong case for a lower assessment. Unless you are telling me that the square footage mistake alone, by itself, is reason for a lower assessment. Here are the percentage increases of the houses on my street (on my side of the street). On a percentage basis, my assessment was not raised as much as my neighbors, so it's hard for me to complain. $ per square foot also does not stand out.

36.95% 34.41% 36.00% 31.76% 31.61% 34.75% 33.92% 26.26%<=This is me
31.10% 31.25% 28.00%
And while it is not politically correct, it is possilbe for you to get your value RAISED if they saw this. Remember what I said about vampires. Just don't invite them in.

One other member here though had a 51% increase when everyone else was in the 30s. So it would work better for him. For you I'd leave well enough alone based on what you've said so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte