U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:23 PM

747 posts, read 1,549,246 times

Advertisements

The guy across the street from me takes really good care of his lawn. I'll ask him what kind of grass it is. He said he offered to help the previous owners of my lawn, even offered to aerate it when he rented the machine in the Falls, but the guy just didn't care.

Normally I wouldn't care so much about grass, but ours looks really really shabby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 12:33 PM

21,966 posts, read 27,252,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
The guy across the street from me takes really good care of his lawn. I'll ask him what kind of grass it is. He said he offered to help the previous owners of my lawn, even offered to aerate it when he rented the machine in the Falls, but the guy just didn't care.

Normally I wouldn't care so much about grass, but ours looks really really shabby.
I have a pretty good idea what the lawn looks like. Mine had been neglected for ~10 years.

The fact is that you've got a lot of weed seed that will just keep coming up. Seeding it now will prevent you from having a mud hole when it rains, but it won't all make it through the summer. Just keep spraying, roughly once a month, until early September, then seed again.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:36 PM

3,756 posts, read 8,395,763 times
From what I understand, now is not the time to seed. Seeding takes place in the fall.

Time for put down pre-emergent. I might add that I had Killingsworth come in and take care of a mole problem in the yard! Never knew that moles were a protected species down here in NC.

Also, I am told that the Scott's products do not work as well as they did in the north. Great thread of information.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
From what I understand, now is not the time to seed. Seeding takes place in the fall.

Time for put down pre-emergent. I might add that I had Killingsworth come in and take care of a mole problem in the yard! Never knew that moles were a protected species down here in NC.

Also, I am told that the Scott's products do not work as well as they did in the north. Great thread of information.
Now is not the best time to seed, but it's better than having a mudhole all spring & summer when it rains.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:00 PM

162 posts, read 599,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Now is not the best time to seed, but it's better than having a mudhole all spring & summer when it rains.

Which is a good reason for bermuda grass... better to track in brown grass in the winter when the kids don't go outside as much vs. tracking in red mud when they go outside everyday in summer

Old 02-09-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapsme View Post
Which is a good reason for bermuda grass... better to track in brown grass in the winter when the kids don't go outside as much vs. tracking in red mud when they go outside everyday in summer
Huh?

He said that his yard is a mess plus full of weeds. Apparently it needs seed. Better to throw some down now. He'll be killing weeds for months. He can decide what he wants to do in the fall, but this will help him for now.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:09 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,792,443 times
St. Augustine grass does a lot better here than Bermuda and it looks a lot better. It looks like real grass. It never has to be reseeded, it kills off crabgrass and other weeds, doesn't need much water in the summer, and is resistant to diseases. It's very common in the Carolinas, but not so much in Charlotte which still seems to obsessed with spending huge sums each year to try and get fescue/rebel to grow here.

Get one of the newer varieties such a Raleigh or Charleston grass.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:57 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,715,463 times
I will share a secret that I know works great to make your grass grow extra strong and dark green....Use some "17/17/17" fertilizer as soon as it starts to grow this spring.....This 17/17/17 stuff is used by soil bean farmers to get extra large harvest. It works great on grass

Old 02-09-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I will share a secret that I know works great to make your grass grow extra strong and dark green....Use some "17/17/17" fertilizer as soon as it starts to grow this spring.....This 17/17/17 stuff is used by soil bean farmers to get extra large harvest. It works great on grass
Here's something that agrees with you. Cleveland County*Center: News

Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 AM

249 posts, read 370,787 times
st augustine is not grown much here because it does not work well in the clay. Once you get past rockingham and get into more of a sand based soil, then you can grow it.
Just remember if you want to grow zoysia then you will most likely have to sod. The last time i researched it was not available in seed.
One other problem with fescue is that brown patch is a big problem here in the summer. Brown patch has hit me the last 2 summers in a row.
You just need to ask yourself this question. Would you rather have a great looking lawn in the spring and fall or would you like to have a great looking lawn in the summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte