U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 04:36 PM

22 posts, read 60,004 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,
After reading through a number of posts and threads about ballantyne homes, I was able to narrow down my house search to Providence Plantation, Ballantyne Meadows and Kenilworth. My main criteria were 300-340k, 4br house with private wooded backyard and I was able to find similar kind of homes in these subdivisions. I work from home, so travel is not a concern.

I am touring these subdivisions over the weekend again to make the final decision.

Can anyone tell me the pros/cons about these subdivisions? Access to 485, kids in the neighborhood, social events, amenities, and resale value in 4-5 years. PP seems to be too far away from Ballantyne shoppings and a different school district but the house is much better than the other 2. Ballantyne meadows is closer to shopping etc but no amenities, so dont know if this will matter for resale value.

Any help and your insight is much appreciated. When I am so close to makin a decision, I am getting cold feet and dont know if I should still continue my search with other subdivisions

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 04:40 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
i noticed no one had answered your post and it was about to roll over to page 2, where it will be lost . . . so just wanted to bump up a bit and see if anyone can give you info on the subdivisions you mentioned.

My personal advice to you is to find yourself a realtor who specializes in that area . . . and who can give you links to info such as any HOA dues, amenities, foreclosure rates, schools, etc.

It is very hard for any of us to tell you which of these areas is "best" b/c we don't know a thing about what is important to you - other than the generic wooded back yard, wh/ can be found in all those areas. Also, no one in this whole country can tell you about resale values in 5 years for any area of the nation, much less the Charlotte market, wh/ "experts" say has not even hit the bottom yet.

But I can say - all those subdivisions you mentioned are good locations, as far as being located in a reasonable distance to shopping, medical care, etc.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:25 PM

109 posts, read 315,066 times
I've lived in the Ballantyne area for 12 years and rented next to Ballantyne Meadows. Please note a waste treatment plant is not that far through the woods from the back of the neighborhood and you will get the "smell" on many days.

Another couples subdivisions I'd add to your list: Amberleigh and Wynridge Estates.
Charlotte NC Homes and Real Estate in Amberleigh : CHARLOTTE NC REAL Perspectives
Welcome to Wynridge Estates | Wynridge Estates

Old 02-11-2011, 06:52 PM

34 posts, read 56,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhclt44 View Post
I've lived in the Ballantyne area for 12 years and rented next to Ballantyne Meadows. Please note a waste treatment plant is not that far through the woods from the back of the neighborhood and you will get the "smell" on many days.

Another couples subdivisions I'd add to your list: Amberleigh and Wynridge Estates.
Charlotte NC Homes and Real Estate in Amberleigh : CHARLOTTE NC REAL Perspectives
Wow! I had no idea. That's why this forum is so helpful.

We just bought in Providence Plantation so I can provide a little info on it although this neighborhood is not considered part of Ballantyne. Some of the pros & reasons we chose it:
*Established neighborhood w/ lots of trees (we were also looking for a private wooded lot)
*Convenient to I-485 & other highways
*Highly rated schools (also close to several private schools)
*Swim & tennis club & also has social groups: http://www.providenceplantation.org/neighborhood-clubs/
*The houses particulary in the older sections are very unique
* Our specific neighborhood has a mix of retirees and families with kids which we knew about beforehand based on the playsets you can spot in the backyards so definitely drive around to get a good feel

Cons I can think of:
*Not what i would call a walkable neighborhood due to its large size and scarcity of sidewalks so you'll likely have to drive to the pool & tennis club & its easy to get lost here until you learn the neighborhood well.
*Although it's convenient to 485 we probably wouldn't have looked here if we were commuting Uptown.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:02 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,546,023 times
Ani is right, nobody has a crystal ball regarding resale. However, if resale were my only concern I would probably choose Providence Plantation. The reason for this would be that your price range is truly in the middle off the sold comps there (and on the lower end of the actives). In the other two, you would be at the mid to higher end. In fact, in Ballantyne Meadows, the last two sold there were at 195K and 200K; in Kenilworth the last sold comps were under 300K. The actives mirror that in those two neighborhoods, with all under $350k. In Providence Plantation, the sold comps range from $147K to $600k, while actives are from $294K to $749K.

None of the neighborhoods has its own pool as part of the HOA, but there is a swim club within Providence Plantation that you can join as a separate membership.

I realize that resale is not most people's only concern. I think you are doing the right thing by touring the neighborhoods. Be sure you look at the homes (inside and out!) before you purchase. Though the home on paper might seem ideal, some of the homes in your price point in Providence Plantation will be very close to 485 and you will hear the noise.

Best of luck to you, and please come back and let us know what you decide!

Old 02-12-2011, 06:51 AM

109 posts, read 315,066 times
For those of you new to this forum, I've always valued the feedback, south.charlotte&union, has provided. Though I realize they are a real estate agent, when I was looking for a home a couple of years ago I was able to locate numerous valuable posts they provided.

If you already have an agent, great; if not, I would send south.charlotte&union a private message as you probably won't find someone more knowledgeable about the area. Use an agent that knows the area, unless you've done you've dotted all your I's and crossed all you T's. I've always looked at what is going to stop someone from buying my home in 5-10 years if I need or decide to sell. As noted in my prior post and theirs : sewage plant, backing-up to a major interstate, or what is behind my wooded lot - can retail development take place, etc.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:58 PM

Thanks all for your reply. I have narrowed it down to Hunter Oaks, Somerset and Providence Plantation. Just waiting for my dream home to open up

I travelled Ballantyne meadows a second time and hated it during the day time; didnt notice the proximity to other apartment communities and the asking prices of $350k was definitely not worth it.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:04 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,410,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickytraveller View Post
Thanks all for your reply. I have narrowed it down to Hunter Oaks, Somerset and Providence Plantation. Just waiting for my dream home to open up

I travelled Ballantyne meadows a second time and hated it during the day time; didnt notice the proximity to other apartment communities and the asking prices of $350k was definitely not worth it.
Out of curiosity, where else did you look around Hunter Oaks and Somerset?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:39 PM

3,521 posts, read 2,232,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhclt44 View Post

I don't live in these areas so I can't offer advice to those looking for information on it other than this:

I use Lancaster Hwy north from 521 to Carolina Place Parkway as a short cut everyday and to the west northwest of Ballantyne is the McAlpine Waste Water Treatment plant and just across the street from that is Henson's Mulch and More. I can't say how this affects every air quality in those neighborhoods, but I can say as I drive by these 2 facilities, I either smell the water treatment plant or the mulch. Lots of piles of mulch are there and they give off smell similar to wood varnish. I guess a lot would depend on which way the wind is blowing.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 AM

Hi Mikey, I also looked at Ardrey Chase, Kenilworth, Amberleigh, Cady Lake, Southamptons, Stone Creek Ranch, Reavencrest, Thornhill, Chimneys at Marvin.
I liked Ardrey Chase and Chimneys at Marvin for the all brick house for the price and close to malls and other activities, but absolutely no trees was a bummer.
No decent houses in Thornhill opened up..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte