U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:46 PM

2,954 posts, read 6,120,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEOPLESCHAMP View Post
If anything they chase future buyers away. There r alot of people that dont want a pool...so u limit yourself when selling
Exactly. My inlaws originally purchased with an in ground because they had 2 kids that would enjoy it. Fast forward 20yrs later, the kids are grown and moved out, and my inlaws use it only occasionally. My FIL jumps in for a few laps a few times per week in the summer just to feel better about the chemicals he's buying for it. They've been talking about filling it in for a long, long time.. but then get distracted about the idea of selling the house to a buyer that might have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 01:47 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,567,743 times
If the sub does not have a community pool, I would be interested. But we chose to buy in a sub with a pool so we didn't have to do the maintenance.
Since I have 3 kids, I do like the attraction of having my own pool. I'm a bit of a 'germaphobe' though.

We looked at some subs that didn't have a pool, and considered building one. But the maintenance factor popped up again. I would definitely say it would not be worth the investment unless you wanted it for enjoyment only.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:18 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,068,833 times
Depends on whether or not the next buyer wants a pool. If they do, then yes. If they not, then no.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:21 PM

39 posts, read 92,513 times
I have young children, 7, 5 and 3, and will be tpurchasing a home in Charlotte area this summer. I will not be looking at any homes with pools. If my children were older, teen years, I might consider a property with a pool. So the point to all this is that a pool may be attractive to some segments of the buying market. However, other segments would not only not be looking, but may actually be put off by a property with a pool. If you are planning to enjoy this home for many years, then by all means put the pool in. But do not if you are concerned about resale or hope to increase your equity in the property.

Last edited by tbertz; 02-10-2011 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-10-2011, 02:52 PM

747 posts, read 1,545,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingon View Post
Why Bobo? Would like to understand your reasons

Don't want the upkeep and cost, the liability (even with a fence), and always having to worry about the kids. And limited resale options.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:57 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,637,402 times
Even though I would love to have a nice in-ground pool, the short answer is no, I don't think it adds value....as a previous poster said however it depends on the buyer........different strokes.

I'm also trying to figure out what the OP meant when he said "attraction quotient"...WTH?

Old 02-10-2011, 03:02 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,368,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
I've always been told that even though they don't add value they increase the property tax. We personally looked at several homes that we liked but wouldn't even consider them because they had an in-ground pool.
In what county? Property tax is based on the size of the property and heated square feet of your house. Since an in-ground pool adds to neither, it doesn't increase property tax.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:05 PM

295 posts, read 452,130 times
I was waiting for someone to zero in on that. When I was looking around Charlotte in 2009 for home with pools, they were not as common as say in Florida. For me I thought homes with pools seemed more upscale. Since Charlotte is now an established story for happening location, would it only get better if pools were more common.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:20 PM
LLN

4,976 posts, read 8,712,068 times
The only thing that ads value to a home are the comps. $/SQ FT. Every other enhancement simply makes it sell quicker, but not at a higher value. Real estate is a slave to comps.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,689,655 times
I agree that getting more when you sell your home because you spent big money on an in the ground swimming pool is hard to do. The only way is if almost all of the homes in the general area have pools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte