Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:16 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,039 times

Advertisements

This was rather disturbing...

North Carolina Power Plants Emit 8th Most Mercury Pollution Nationally - Environment North Carolina (http://www.environmentnorthcarolina.org/newsroom/clean-air-news/clean-air-news/north-carolina-power-plants-emit-8th-most-mercury-pollution-nationally - broken link)

The Marshall Steam Station, on Lake Norman and owned by Duke Energy, is one of the worst (not THE worst) offenders.

Marshall Steam Station -Duke Energy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 01:18 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Yes, I read the article this morning. A litte scary. Does it affect those who eat fish? Swim in the water? Scary.....

Old 02-11-2011, 04:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
Yes, I read the article this morning. A litte scary. Does it affect those who eat fish? Swim in the water? Scary.....
Probably. Although we have been told for decades that the plant has no effect on the fish/wildlife in general.

Swimming has never been encouraged in Lake Norman. And the LKN you see today - with homes at water's edge . . . they are basically a new phenomenon and most of the owners are not natives. Many of the natives have always been somewhat suspicious about the effect of Marshall Plant on the lake, lol.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:18 PM

Ok Ani, now you are really scaring me. We are boaters, so are you saying not to go for a dip. LOL, I am not a home owner of water's edge. Ok, help me out!!! Is it ok to tube and take a quick dip? This is something we never considered. Thanks Ani

Old 02-11-2011, 05:25 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
Ok Ani, now you are really scaring me. We are boaters, so are you saying not to go for a dip. LOL, I am not a home owner of water's edge. Ok, help me out!!! Is it ok to tube and take a quick dip? This is something we never considered. Thanks Ani
I mean sure, if you don't mind a 3rd (or if you're really lucky, 4th!) arm sprouting!

Old 02-11-2011, 05:27 PM

LOL, thanks Wolf Howl!!! LOL

Old 02-11-2011, 06:38 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Gross. I would NEVER get in that water, power plant or not. Hopefully they can get the new regulations passed and clean up their emissions quickly.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:25 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Don't forget that before the power plants went in it was basically a place for all of the little homes around the rim to flush their sewage into.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:40 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
OK, so a group of 3 or 4 states produce almost 70% of the mercury issue and NC is not among them. Duke Power is not among the worst offenders. NC is one of 19 states with a mercury reduction program in effect.

Here's what is says:
North Carolina is currently realizing major reductions in mercury emissions
from coal-fired boilers as a direct cobenefit of the North Carolina Clean
Smokestacks Act in 2002. Additionally, the state mercury rule for coal-fired
power plants requires a mercury emission control plan from each power
plant on January 1, 2013 that identifies the technology proposed for use at
each unit; the schedule for installation and operation of mercury controls at
each unit; and shall identify any units that will be shut down. Any unit that
has not installed controls as specified in an approved mercury control plan by
December 31, 2017 shall be shut down.

Here's Duke Energy's page on Mercury Reduction: Mercury Control Technologies -Duke Energy

Old 02-12-2011, 08:20 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
.... Many of the natives have always been somewhat suspicious about the effect of Marshall Plant on the lake, lol.
It gets a lot worse as you head down the river. There are two more coal fired steam plants on the river in Charlotte.

The first is Riverbend Steam Plant. It's located right on Mountain Island Lake near Latta Plantation Park and upstream of where Charlotte gets it water. As you can see here in this photo, the coal, bottom left is stored right on the water's edge. However even worse, the fly ash that is left over after the coal is burned is dumped in a fly ash pond right on the river too. Upper left.

Google Maps

The second is further down the river and is called Cliffside Steam Plant and again, coal is stored right on the river. I think they do a better job here with the fly ash. This is just above Lake Wylie and it's pollution gets added to the other two. As one heads further south in the river, the water gets noticeably dirtier.

One of these plants was rated as the 25th dirtiest plant, in terms of air pollution, in all of the USA. Duke Energy vigorously fights any attempts to tighten up regulations.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...27037&t=h&z=16
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte