U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:59 AM

66 posts, read 122,564 times

Advertisements

Planning a trip to Charlotte from Jul 15 to Jul 18 with the overall intent of going to Carowinds... It will also be my girlfriends 21st birthday so I would also like to know about some bars/clubs in downtown that I could take her to.

I would also like to know about any culturally significant places that we could visit (NOT NASCAR), or events that we could take part in. Are there any restaurants in Charlotte that I can't find anywhere else? I hear bbq is big, so where can I get a uniquely Charlotte dining experience?

The last order of business is the hotel... There seems to be a chain of hotels just south of downtown near I-77 and Billy Graham Pkwy. Is this area safe? I like this spot because its 6 miles away from Carowinds and its priced right.

So any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 09:00 AM

161 posts, read 242,625 times
I would suggest finding a hotel close to South Tryon & 485 vs. 77 & Billy Graham Pkwy. There's a Hilton Garden Inn at the Ayrsley Town Center with a movie theater and several restaurants nearby.

Find us

Share your preference in the type of bar/club you'd like to find. There are all types in the downtown area.

A visit to the new Mint Museum is recommended if you enjoy the arts.

As for food, a visit to Price's Chicken Coop is a must.

Price's Chicken Coop - Charlotte, NC

Old 02-12-2011, 12:19 PM

186 posts, read 310,337 times
I'm sorry I can't be more helpful on your questions, but I could help but notice you are from Orlando and you are coming to Charlotte for an Amusement park ? I really hope it lives up to your expectations.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witton View Post
I'm sorry I can't be more helpful on your questions, but I could help but notice you are from Orlando and you are coming to Charlotte for an Amusement park ? I really hope it lives up to your expectations.
Its a funny thing really. People come to Orlando for the full experience, i.e., some rides, some shows, etc...

People who live in Orlando, go out of their way to find new rides because we're sick and tired of riding the same ones all over again.

By the way, Disney is a terrible place for rides.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherfan101 View Post
I would suggest finding a hotel close to South Tryon & 485 vs. 77 & Billy Graham Pkwy. There's a Hilton Garden Inn at the Ayrsley Town Center with a movie theater and several restaurants nearby.

Find us

Share your preference in the type of bar/club you'd like to find. There are all types in the downtown area.

A visit to the new Mint Museum is recommended if you enjoy the arts.

As for food, a visit to Price's Chicken Coop is a must.

Price's Chicken Coop - Charlotte, NC
Any bar or dance club suites me, as long as the prices are right and they are within easy walking distance of eachother... so I guess my question would be better rephrased as where in downtown is the pub/club district (in terms of streets and plazas)

Mint Museum showcases what types of art?

Price's Chicken Coop is something I'll check out, how about some Carolina BBQ??? Where can I find that!

Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 AM

161 posts, read 242,625 times
You'll want to visit the EpiCentre in the heart of downtown (we call it Uptown). There are plenty of bars and clubs within a 3 block radius.

Bars and Clubs at EpiCentre | The Charlotte EpiCentre | The Ultimate Charlotte Nightlife Hotspot

There are two Mint Museums. The one "Uptown" just opened back in October and is beautiful. The original Mint Museum is about 3 miles away and is worth visiting as well.

The Mint Museum - Home

Now a lot of folks will swear there's no real Carolina BBQ to be found in Charlotte. I love BBQ and favor the offerings at Mac's Speed Shop and Harper's Restaurant. There are some authentic old school BBQ places within a 1 hour drive but it's a matter of how far you want to go. This thread from Chowhound has plenty of suggestions for Charlotte.

Best BBQ in Charlotte - Southeast - Chowhound

If you like fried seafood, a trip to a Fish Camp is suggested. Fried shrimp, scallops, and salt & pepper catfish....yum!

Old 02-13-2011, 01:52 PM

45,168 posts, read 57,238,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhernandez48 View Post
Any bar or dance club suites me, as long as the prices are right and they are within easy walking distance of eachother... so I guess my question would be better rephrased as where in downtown is the pub/club district (in terms of streets and plazas)

Mint Museum showcases what types of art?

Price's Chicken Coop is something I'll check out, how about some Carolina BBQ??? Where can I find that!
Best BBQ in Charlotte is at Mac's Speed Shop

Mac's Speedshop - Beer Bikes BBQ in Charlotte NC

You'll want to check out our new museum of modern art too - http://www.bechtler.org/

Stay in one of the hotels right across the road from Carowinds - it's safer than the ones closer to uptown along I77.

I like the Best Western Carowinds:

3675 Foothills Way
Fort Mill, SC 29715
Get Directions
(803) 548-8400

But the Hilton Garden at Arysley would be great too (as suggested above).

However, to really enjoy the night life in uptown Charlotte, why not consider staying uptown? Sometimes you can find good deals on rooms there. Then you'd only have to drive to go to Carowinds and walk everywhere else you want to go out. I like the Omni uptown, it's in the middle of everything.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 02-13-2011 at 02:01 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 03:12 AM

Thank you guys, I will add Mac's Speed Shop to my list. I like the hotel suggestions, but I found a good deal at the Embassy Suites off of I-77 and Billy Graham, its the hotel with an 8 story indoor rainforest and waterfall, plus free breakfast and really great reviews. I booked it already and its most convenient for me, right between uptown and Carowinds.

If I have some time, I'll check out the new Mint Museum.

Anyone been to Carowinds in July. Does it get crowded? I'm from Orlando so 45 minute wait does not qualify as crowded.

Is there a descent taxi service in the city? I don't subscribe to the drunk driving fad.

**Also!!! This may be a long shot, but is there an observation deck/lobby in ones of those skyscrapers in downtown?**

Old 02-15-2011, 07:05 AM

2,524 posts, read 1,696,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhernandez48 View Post
Anyone been to Carowinds in July. Does it get crowded? I'm from Orlando so 45 minute wait does not qualify as crowded.
I'm originally from Orlando. It is nowhere as bad as a slow day at Universal IOA or Disney.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:54 PM

Excellent. Thanks @ncopus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte