U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:41 PM

4,753 posts, read 6,390,950 times

Advertisements

Let's just hope it doesn't get pushed to the side and forgotten like others have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 01:52 PM

1,729 posts, read 2,185,654 times
One of the versions being considered further protects the citizen anywhere he has a right to be; on the street, at work, etc. That would be the better version. Abhajit Mahato, the slain Duke student should have been able to shoot an attacker who killed him when he was walking to class, minding his own business. Cheryl King, killed going in to her work place, should have been able to defend herself against her jealous ex boyfriend who shot her. Neither should have had to fear prosecution if they'd had guns & defended themselves. These are only 2 of many cases in our area.

I would especially appreciate this version, as I sometimes have to do service work in very dangerous neighborhoods.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:45 PM

373 posts, read 667,807 times
Score one for the good guy!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:58 PM

403 posts, read 763,027 times
And......what IF that intruder turned out to be your neighbor who had been out and had a bit too much to drink, and started forcing his way into your home...thinking it was his? What IF the intruder turned out to be a child trying to sneak back into their home, so that Dad/Mom wouldn't know they had been out? Yes, there are many "What IF's", so would you be able handle the emotional and legal consequences...IF you were wrong? Deadly force is definitely needed in some situations...and before it is needed, why not go to a Concealed Carry course of instruction and become educated about the use of deadly force. It is a big responsibility to own and potentially use a firearm. I just finished the course, and it changed my whole outlook. I didn't want to become a victim....that is why I took it. Now, I am armed with knowledge...along with my firearm.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:55 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,563,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylbeth View Post
And......what IF that intruder turned out to be your neighbor who had been out and had a bit too much to drink, and started forcing his way into your home...thinking it was his? What IF the intruder turned out to be a child trying to sneak back into their home, so that Dad/Mom wouldn't know they had been out? Yes, there are many "What IF's", so would you be able handle the emotional and legal consequences...IF you were wrong? Deadly force is definitely needed in some situations...and before it is needed, why not go to a Concealed Carry course of instruction and become educated about the use of deadly force. It is a big responsibility to own and potentially use a firearm. I just finished the course, and it changed my whole outlook. I didn't want to become a victim....that is why I took it. Now, I am armed with knowledge...along with my firearm.
Without proper knowledge and on-going traning you could still be a victim.
The course that is required to obtain a CCW is a very small part of the education.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:00 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,237,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Without proper knowledge and on-going traning you could still be a victim.
The course that is required to obtain a CCW is a very small part of the education.
I agree. A few hours of instruction doesn't even begin to prepare someone for a real life deadly force situation, or even how to safely and effectively use a gun.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:04 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,022,955 times
Quote:
Castle Doctrine is well on its way
Finally!

Old 03-15-2011, 06:06 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,563,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I agree. A few hours of instruction doesn't even begin to prepare someone for a real life deadly force situation, or even how to safely and effectively use a gun.

Agreed! Any student at the end of this class who thinks they are ready to defend the world, has so much to learn.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:07 AM

403 posts, read 763,027 times
Yes, I agree to all....but at least it may stop someone from going off half-cocked thinking they are going to kill someone before they think of the consequences....an unintended victim could be the result. I was told that you "own" that bullet once it goes out of that chamber...and if you don't hit the intended target..you own it for a mile. Yes, I do agree that continuing education is necessary...and that certification doesn't mean you won't become a victim. It could help you become less of a victim.
This could also mean with knowledge you could become less of a victim of the legal system!

Old 03-15-2011, 07:23 AM

1,730 posts, read 2,290,020 times
Exclamation Okay...Point Taken...BUT...

Quote:
Agreed! Any student at the end of this class who thinks they are ready to defend the world, has so much to learn.
Being ex-military, and having 2 retired cops as older brothers, I fully and totally understand the need to be able to defend your home against intruders...I also understand those who have taken the CC classes, have obtained their permits, and are responsible owners of firearms...

However, I really do hope that this doesn't bring an onslaught of would-be John Waynes and Dirty Harrys, blasting away first and not even knowing what a question is...the poster upthread who raised all the potential 'what ifs' was spot-on...for every 10 gun owners, at least 8 are conscientious, well-informed, and practice safety at all times (i.e. storing the gun in a safe place, and exercising good judgment, even in situations where deadly force may be involved)

It's the other 2 out of 10 that raise an alarm with me...you know, the ones who are always lip-flapping about A) how big their gun is, B) how big a clip and what size ammo they use, C) how they're gonna 'bust a cap' in somebody, and then spout a bunch of action-movie cliches afterwards...

Let me say this again, with emphasis...I have absolutely NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER with folks owning guns, or taking classes to get their CC permit, especially if they learn to exercise good judgment while using their gun(s)...

All I'm saying HERE, is I just hope we don't get overrun with folks trying to be one of those 2 out of 10 bada**-wannabes, who JUST MIGHT ventilate the wrong party...then you've got a dead person, and you probably going to the joint, wondering 'what if? what if?'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte