Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:17 AM

15 posts, read 29,380 times

Advertisements

here right now my husband is traveling every day 25miles for his office. There in Charlotte, he is OK with 20-30minutes drive (i guess so). Right now we want to go for apartments only ..may be within 2 yrs ,we have plan for buying house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 10:31 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
Your price range in an apartment may determine what area you can live in as well.

I was going to suggest Union County (Marvin Ridge, Weddington) but there are no apartments out this way nor is the commute 20 min. If you want a 20 min. only commute, you will have a much smaller radius to work with.

When we first moved here we rented for 3 months at The Colony Apartments in South Charlotte. It is in the Myers Park area.

Dawn

Old 02-17-2011, 03:20 PM

9 posts, read 24,585 times
If you want to be near downtown you want Sharon Elementary. The most important thing there is that the teachers are happy because they have a supportive principal. That makes or breaks a school. And they have a lot of TD options which you seem to be interested in.
Second is Selwyn.

There's no other option downtown unless you want a Traditional. The best you are going to get after that is a commute from South Park (Beverly Woods, Polo Ridge). Ballantyne is your best (Hawk Ridge) but I know you won't like the commute.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:37 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananeele2 View Post
If you want to be near downtown you want Sharon Elementary. The most important thing there is that the teachers are happy because they have a supportive principal. That makes or breaks a school. And they have a lot of TD options which you seem to be interested in.
Second is Selwyn.

There's no other option downtown unless you want a Traditional. The best you are going to get after that is a commute from South Park (Beverly Woods, Polo Ridge). Ballantyne is your best (Hawk Ridge) but I know you won't like the commute.
What do you mean there are no other options close to uptown? Sharon is about 20 minutes from uptown, Selwyn is a little closer. Both are excellent. Eastover and Dilworth are both good schools as well, and closer in...

Old 02-18-2011, 03:58 PM

9 posts, read 24,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
What do you mean there are no other options close to uptown? Sharon is about 20 minutes from uptown, Selwyn is a little closer. Both are excellent. Eastover and Dilworth are both good schools as well, and closer in...
Dilworth is ok. It's a first year school since it came off a magnet so 50% of the students came from Eastover and have a good base while the other 50% are from First Ward, which was a Title One, and are struggling below grade level. It's very diverse and in transition. The principal is excellent though.
Eastover's overall reputation is good, but the moral with teachers is just so-so and their Math EOG scores are just slightly over the state average, which isn't saying much.
Personally I love the teachers at Dilworth, but the student population is not one that a person would consider 'high achieving'. Eastover is good (I can tell by the kids coming into Dilworth-I worked with the 5th graders in the Fall), but not as good as Sharon and Selwyn.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:18 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananeele2 View Post
Dilworth is ok. It's a first year school since it came off a magnet so 50% of the students came from Eastover and have a good base while the other 50% are from First Ward, which was a Title One, and are struggling below grade level. It's very diverse and in transition. The principal is excellent though.
Eastover's overall reputation is good, but the moral with teachers is just so-so and their Math EOG scores are just slightly over the state average, which isn't saying much.
Personally I love the teachers at Dilworth, but the student population is not one that a person would consider 'high achieving'. Eastover is good (I can tell by the kids coming into Dilworth-I worked with the 5th graders in the Fall), but not as good as Sharon and Selwyn.
Not exactly. Dilworth kids came from Eastover, First Ward and Selwyn...and nowhere near 50% from 1st Ward - maybe 20%. Other 1st Ward kids are split between Eastover and those who stayed for the Arts Magnet at First Ward. Yes, the principal @ Dilworth is excellent as is the staff. It's a first year school that has a ton of neighborhood and parent support ($80K in the most recent fundraising campaign after a big one over the summer)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte