U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:51 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,112,395 times

Advertisements

I think that if you can find an apt that you can afford, you should try Dilworth. It is a nice community, full of both singles & families, close to uptown and has a nice walkability to it. If Dilworth is too high, you can try neighbouring communities of Elizabeth or even some of the trendier areas of Chantilly. You can sometimes get some great deals in those areas. This is a renter's market right now, so, you should be able to find something reasonable. You should try to stay close enough to the light rail line to be able to commute to Charlotte to avoid the high parking fees.

I would recommend not going further south, such as Ballentyne as that is pretty much a family area and you would probably feel out of place.

On the "single" thought, I am not sure that you will find a lot of singles your age. That has been my "problem", of course, I am not a terribly social person, but, I find it rare to find a single person over the age of 30. But, you sound as if you have a plan, so, you probably will be more successful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 06:57 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,996,854 times
Dilworth, NoDa, Elizabeth, Plaza-Midwood, or Chantilly. Or something really close to one of those areas.

I would begin and end my search in those locales.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,392,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I'll be right downtown on Tryon St. Don't want a long commute. Would like to live near the rail system as parking at the office will be expensive. Having said that, I'm ok with a 20-30 minute commute time.
Welcome to Charlotte Atlantaguy

In your price range you'll have some nice choices.

My suggestion would be to consider either Southend (which puts you along the light rail) or places in Dilworth or Elizabeth, which are a very short bus ride into uptown. (Buses in Charlotte are a great way to get around and are clean and safe.)

These areas are more urban, close to uptown and close to gathering spots you'll like.

In Southend I like these two:

Circle at South End and Spectrum South End.

In Dilworth try: Camden Dilworth

In Elizabeth it's hard to beat Elizabeth Square.

Best of luck!

Old 02-15-2011, 01:24 PM

17 posts, read 23,535 times
You will find Atlanta had 1000 times more singles than Charlotte ever will. Especially for your age range, the majority of singles are your age will be single mother divorcees. Forgive my callousness, but that is hard facts.
Charlotte is a family city like a poster stated above and becoming more of one.
There are singles here, tons of them to hook up with. But meeting someone on your level is unlikely to happen, not saying it won't.
But, I have lived here for 4 years, have tons of single male friends who are professional, fit, educated and responsible. They range from 28-45 , and all have not had any luck finding a long term relationship in Charlotte.
Again, Charlotte is great for hooking up, flings, and the like, but the talent pool is very shallow unless you are willing to signficantly lower your standards.

I take it you are educated, athletic and professional , thus won't settle. So, focus on making friends, sports, try some dating sites and don't rule out long distance dating. It just won't happen for your respective age group for a quality guy like yourself.
If you were a guy with 3 kids , 2 divorces, no career, tons of debt, alcohol problem, etc. Sure, the average Charlotte single girl would be find for you.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:57 PM

4,404 posts, read 4,270,477 times
Ouch. Well, looks like I'm coming there anyway. Will just have to consider dating long distance outside of Charlotte.

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, I am professional, athletic, and educated. And I won't settle at this point in my life. I've already registered with several Charlotte meetup groups (and there's not a lot to choose from), and am on Match.com. My search on Match didn't yield great results. Maybe I do Charlotte for a couple years and transfer to another city.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:16 PM

686 posts, read 1,415,703 times
Quote:
I've already registered with several Charlotte meetup groups (and there's not a lot to choose from), and am on Match.com. My search on Match didn't yield great results. .
Just curious what you are looking for that didn't 'yield great results'. I have a ton of attractive, educated, single friends and many are on Match.com. I am not looking to set you up, but wondering if you are looking for that didn't match up to your expectations.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:27 PM

Uh oh, hope I didn't open a can of worms here. But here's the main thing...women in their early 30's seem to have a cut off of late 30's for the men they're looking to date. I'm 42. And before you comment on the fact that I'm looking younger, the reason is I still want to have a family, so I tend to target the 28-35 age range.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:31 PM

686 posts, read 1,415,703 times
Quote:
Uh oh, hope I didn't open a can of worms here. But here's the main thing...women in their early 30's seem to have a cut off of late 30's for the men they're looking to date. I'm 42. And before you comment on the fact that I'm looking younger, the reason is I still want to have a family, so I tend to target the 28-35 age range.
That is what I thought. I am not looking to start anything. I was just curious. It is hard to find a 42 y/o guy who wants to date a 42 y/o gal.

Back to the topic, now.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
That is what I thought. I am not looking to start anything. I was just curious. It is hard to find a 42 y/o guy who wants to date a 42 y/o gal.

Back to the topic, now.
Jayhawk, I wouldn't rule it out. There have been women in my age range I've been interested in. The issue is they already have kids. I'd like to have my own kids, not raise someone else's. I may eventually have to change my dating preferences, but for now thats what it is. Just wanted to clarify that. Ok, now back to topic

Old 02-15-2011, 06:45 PM

I just did some research and found rents to be very high in "desirable" neighborhoods like Midwood, Dilworth, etc. Suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or