Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:09 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times

Advertisements

Teavanna at Southpark Mall might be able to help if you prefer your tea loose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 12:47 PM

416 posts, read 928,125 times
Is Marmite like Vegemite? I had Vegemite on a recent trip to the Blue Mountains outside of Sidney. An acquired taste for sure.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:04 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
I think Marmite is a little less salty than Vegemite.
I think a lot of people who havent tried Marmite make the mistake of slathering it on bread like they would peanut butter then they get overwhelmed by the salty taste,A little bit goes a long way with this stuff.
I remember growing up in England and Marmite was a staple in the kitchen, my favorite is Dark bread with a bit of Marmite spread on one side,generous heap of watercress and some strong cheese like Gorgonzola, now thats a sandwich

Old 02-15-2011, 05:11 PM

299 posts, read 590,189 times
There used to be a little English shop here, but they couldn't sustain themselves so they had to close up. I was very sad because it was my go to place for all my fave Cabury's/Nestle chocolates and goodies. They carried the proper Heinz things as well.
You can find Heinz, Marmite/Vegemite etc here, but when you do make sure to CHECK THE DATE. I've had some unfortunate experiences with staleness and food that had expired.
The worst was a stale Lion bar last week. Broke my heart.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:56 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,728 times
We just had a friend set up a logistics company and we were talking about prices for shipping.

Put it this way, the prices he was quoting were a heck of a lot less than what we paid to get our 15 boxes by ship from the UK -a process which took 6 months as they were in consolidation for almost 5 months!!

He said he could probably fly them for less!

So maybe I can get Tea,baked beans,crunchy bars, sharp cheddar and marmite from UK
Goats cheese and Camembert from France
Pickled Herrings from ?Germany

Anyone want to share?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:33 PM

299 posts, read 590,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
We just had a friend set up a logistics company and we were talking about prices for shipping.

Put it this way, the prices he was quoting were a heck of a lot less than what we paid to get our 15 boxes by ship from the UK -a process which took 6 months as they were in consolidation for almost 5 months!!

He said he could probably fly them for less!

So maybe I can get Tea,baked beans,crunchy bars, sharp cheddar and marmite from UK
Goats cheese and Camembert from France
Pickled Herrings from ?Germany

Anyone want to share?
Yum. Cheddar.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:59 AM

459 posts, read 699,151 times
Have no idea why you would want Marmite but I get alot of my British groceries from World Market

Old 02-16-2011, 08:24 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
There used to be an English grocer on Park Road in Charlotte ( next door to the Rheinland House)
I went there a couple of times to pick up pickled chestnuts....I can not remember the name, but you could search with that information.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:18 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,728 times
Well I buy Cabot extra sharp Cheddar which is really good.

Marmite I used to use to add flavor to vegeterian chilli, shepherds pie etc and occasionally on toast with butter (lightly does it)
It's very high in B vits so helps skin, hair, nails and anxiety/depression.

I refuse to pay Worldmarket prices for imported food-crazy and I don't miss things that badly.
I do miss decent tea bags though.
My husband just visited and brought back 400!

He also had Picallili but they said it was liquid and took it off him at security!

Chromekitty-do you mean pickled Walnuts or Chestnuts?
Love the first, but not heard of pickled chestnuts, but sound good

Old 02-16-2011, 11:20 AM

129 posts, read 234,267 times
I think tea will be the thing myself and the kids will miss the most- I find its never the same anywhere else. I must stock up and put out a facebook plea when it runs out just like my brother does in OZ.
Whatsthenews- Is it hard to get good Goats cheese???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte