U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 AM

8 posts, read 8,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
Most of the people who post on here constantly complaining about growth and people moving there without jobs are simpy consumed by their own fear.

They are scared that smarter, more experienced, more ambitious people will swoop in and take a piece of their turf.

If you currently live in NC you don't have any additional right to a job that is available there.

If the competition is getting stiff, step up and make something happen. Don't spend your time on C-D trying to dissuade people from moving there.
Great Point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 08:55 AM

9,564 posts, read 8,849,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeedad06 View Post
Great Point!
No its not. People are only concerned the infrastructure here cannot take the influx of people. If unemployment was low and the economy good (i.e. mid 2000's) different story. Again...come here..enjoy whats good, its your right...but understand that without a job, you are just putting more strain on an already busting infrastructure.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:55 AM

21,862 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Most of the people who post on here constantly complaining about growth and people moving there without jobs are simply consumed by their own fear.

They are scared that smarter, more experienced, more ambitious people will swoop in and take a piece of their turf.

If you currently live in NC you don't have any additional right to a job that is available there.

If the competition is getting stiff, step up and make something happen. Don't spend your time on C-D trying to dissuade people from moving there.
So you think it's a good idea for people with kids to move with no job or job prospects lined up?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:03 AM

306 posts, read 367,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
So you think it's a good idea for people with kids to move with no job or job prospects lined up?
I am not sure if that is a question or not but I will treat it as one.

Below is your earlier post where you essentially chastised another member for not paying attention while suggesting that moving with kids was a focal point in the OP.

Quote:
Did you miss the part in the OP that clearly stated that the main concern is the people, with kids, showing up with no job in this economy?
The OP (seen below) does not mention kids at all so I am a bit confused where you came up with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
and not think much of it. Now I am frightened by the number of people moving here with no job, no NOTHING other than to get away (run away) from where they are. This area will be as bad as the northeast in 15 years at this rate. Too many people moving in, not enough jobs to sustain. A frightening prospect.
It is not my right to tell another family what is in their best interest. If they feel they can make the move responsibly without jeopardizing the welfare of their children, who are any of us to tell them otherwise.

Not everyone lives paycheck to paycheck and coasts around town on their last tank of gas. One of the reasons people work hard and save money is so they are afforded choices when they indulge in their pursuit of happiness.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:36 AM

9,564 posts, read 8,849,522 times
Quote:

Below is your earlier post where you essentially chastised another member for not paying attention while suggesting that moving with kids was a focal point in the OP.

The OP (seen below) does not mention kids at all so I am a bit confused where you came up with that.

It is not my right to tell another family what is in their best interest. If they feel they can make the move responsibly without jeopardizing the welfare of their children, who are any of us to tell them otherwise.

Not everyone lives paycheck to paycheck and coasts around town on their last tank of gas. One of the reasons people work hard and save money is so they are afforded choices when they indulge in their pursuit of happiness.
So be it...this thread has exhausted itself. All I meant from the thread was that eventually the very place people left will mirror where they are at this rate..for better or worse...

done for me

Old 02-17-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:

This is the latest version of a long-running topic on this board. The general concensus is that what people do when they have minor children should be different. Did the OP correct me & say, no this time I mean them all?

Maybe looking at it from a slightly different perspective will help you. Dreaming of Other States?

I think that it's extremely irresponsible to drag kids off with no job or prospects. I'm not alone.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:20 PM

8 posts, read 8,160 times
Lol!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:19 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,686,728 times
Quote:
Apparently you didn't read further. This topic has been discussed over & over again. It always comes back to the same thing. Do what you will if you are not involving minors. People have posted links to news stories repeatedly where the parents dragged the kids down with nothing lined up & end up on welfare.

We get the posts regularly where people assume that jobs are here for the taking.

I have no interest in arguing with you & 2 people who don't even live here.
Who doesn't live here?

It's not an argument- but I'm pointing out that a job for some people may not be essential, and they may know that they are financially and otherwise able to raise their children just as well (or even better) here than where they came from.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Who doesn't live here?

It's not an argument- but I'm pointing out that a job for some people may not be essential, and they may know that they are financially and otherwise able to raise their children just as well (or even better) here than where they came from.
Check the locations of the other posters. (My location is deliberately vague because I help out on another board & it was confusing people.)

If people say "I don't need a job", we don't care.

We get posters looking to move from welfare in other states to Charlotte to get better weather. We get people inquiring about the Section 8 housing availability. We get people who state that they do jobs that require few skills & little education who then add that they don't need to line up jobs first. That's who the OP was talking about. Know someone with specialized skills that are needed here? Tell them to come. But this thread is a continuation of stuff rhat we see all of the time. The OP has already said that he's done with this thread & now I'm saying it too.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:08 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,686,728 times
Quote:
Check the locations of the other posters. (My location is deliberately vague because I help out on another board & it was confusing people.)

If people say "I don't need a job", we don't care.

We get posters looking to move from welfare in other states to Charlotte to get better weather. We get people inquiring about the Section 8 housing availability. We get people who state that they do jobs that require few skills & little education who then add that they don't need to line up jobs first. That's who the OP was talking about. Know someone with specialized skills that are needed here? Tell them to come. But this thread is a continuation of stuff rhat we see all of the time. The OP has already said that he's done with this thread & now I'm saying it too.

Then maybe that's what the OP should have said at the beginning, rather than making such a broad statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or