U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:13 PM

97 posts, read 224,661 times

Advertisements

Charlotte will never mimic a large city of the Northeast. It would take 20, if not 50, years to accomplish that level of density and infrastructure. Charlotte has grown, but in a negative way, out rather than strengthening it's neighborhoods and growing UP, to the sky who can't figure out I'm not talking about maturity. With that being the case, it's a long time off before Charlotte can even claim that "concern".

Charlotte's growth issue regarding infrastructure stems from the lack of residents utilizing alternative forms of transportation. You're too busy behind the wheel of your vehicle to realize this, all while you complain about traffic becoming so bad. Then again, most people in Charlotte are the type who would support public transportation as long as that removes OTHER drivers from the road so THEY aren't slowed down by traffic. How is that justified?

Charlotte residents desired said growth, but they weren't willing to tolerate the potential downside to it. Time to deal with it, just as others have said, stop shutting the door on others coming here. Do you really feel the "squeeze" you're attempting to provide an image of from people moving here that, gasp, don't have jobs? Why do you really care? If they don't have jobs, chances are they don't have money, as you leave everybody with the impression. No money, no gas, no gas, no driving, no driving, no issue for you...

It sounds like most people aren't even FROM Charlotte, yet preach as though they run the show. Someone asked who was originally from Charlotte and nobody even directly responded. I encounter one born and raised Charlotte resident for 20 transplants I meet. Let's just say that the older population from Charlotte don't even want YOU living here, they despise the fact that Charlotte became what it is today.

How many of you actually LIVE inside Charlotte-proper? I'm not talking about Mecklenburg county either. At the rate Charlotte has and desires to annex land, the City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County should have merged a long time ago. But your desires to live way out in the middle of no where has created problems upon themselves. The need to tear up those backroads to build highways or even the 485 loop. Did you know its original intent was to only have about a half dozen exits? To 85 and 77 and other MAJOR intersections, not these areas with dense subdivision developments right along the bypass. But no, your abundance of residents moving into the exurbs pushed the desire to add exits to the plans. That's YOUR problem, not Charlotte's problem. I can't stand how people claim a city they don't even live in either. You may live NEAR Charlotte, but you don't live IN Charlotte. Most don't even pay taxes into Mecklenburg County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collapse7c View Post
I don't care that you take offense, you need to build a bridge and get over it.
But, yes the infrastructure does suck here. This city like anywhere is geared toward a type, its very one-dimensional. The good side:Families. bankers, IT , healthcare, couples moving jobs buying a home settling, The bad side of people moving here:, holy rollers, fat soccer moms, people who want to the materialism of Manhattan without the costs and people running from something.

Its a SETTLEMENT town and always will be.
Holy rollers? As far as I'm concerned, Charlotte is in the Bible Belt. With that being the case, the people moving to Charlotte could not be closer to GOD than those who already live here. Fat soccer moms? Excuse me? The population here is well overweight on their own. Materialism of Manhattan? Seriously? What's more materialistic than wanting some 4000 sqft home, 2-3 cars, and all the toys that go with a large home? That fits the description of how ALL Charlotte residents live, or desire to. Malls like SouthPark would do well enough on its own if Charlotte grew by locals and not by transplants. That mall is materialism PERIOD.

It's a settlement town? You must be thinking of the outer-reaches of Charlotte, if not the counties surrounding Mecklenburg. I wouldn't call the areas of Charlotte I frequent "settlement" areas. Are they residential? Yeah, sure, but they have plenty of public transportation, culture, and identity that surpasses those suburban "settlement" areas by far. There is also a community who is fighting your beliefs of Charlotte, the creative class is gaining strength and business is realizing that to bring in those best and brightest employees, there must be activities, art, entertainment available because that's also what they as individuals, families, and friends desire. Where do you fall in that category?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I don't get it..what is wrong with what he said?
You don't get it? Seriously? It could be viewed as a racist comment, "don't to bring in the riff raff" associated with public transportation. That's odd, those suits riding the light rail sure are riff raff. Maybe if you would pop that little bubble you're living in you might realize that we all are human beings, there are quite a few 'riff raffs' living in your neighborhood, you just don't know it because their method isn't as obvious. I must be riff raff too...

Don't feel like reading?

Every single one of you is apart of the problem Charlotte is arriving at, not exactly the people looking to move here for a new start. Get off your fat ass, ride your bike, breath in fresh air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or