U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:44 PM

2,953 posts, read 6,141,756 times

Advertisements

My husband sees it every day. For every post I see on C-D for someone moving down with no research, background, job or information on the area, he meets 10 more in person with the exact same story. Vast majority moved down because their sister's cousin's uncle's brother moved down and LOOOOOVVVVEEEEDDDD it, so the whole darn family moved down, too! We see the writing on the wall, and the city does not have the infrastructure to support that kind of influx of people. The characteristics that make Charlotte and NC so desirable are disappearing with each moving truck coming in, and that is a shame. Looking around, the days of small town mom & pop shops are long gone and bulldozed over with big commercial, box store environments. Small town and country living are being shoved aside by tasteless, characterless subdivisions built around golf courses. Back roads are being torn up for 4+ lane highways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 12:53 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,690,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Yea..and i am not saying people can't move...its their right to do it. I am merely stating the fact that for better or worse NC will be no different than CT , NY or any other northeast state. Its only a matter of time.
People often say they want to get away from all of the congestion in NY or Chicago, but don't you think Charlotte will end up being just as congested as those places if people keep moving here? I don't have a problem with it myself, but NC needs to do a better job of maintaining its infrastructure to keep up with with the influx that's going to continue!

Old 02-15-2011, 01:12 PM

9,585 posts, read 8,886,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
People often say they want to get away from all of the congestion in NY or Chicago, but don't you think Charlotte will end up being just as congested as those places if people keep moving here? I don't have a problem with it myself, but NC needs to do a better job of maintaining its infrastructure to keep up with with the influx that's going to continue!
You're first sentence is the point of the thread..gotta read the WHOLE thread

Old 02-15-2011, 01:17 PM

972 posts, read 2,142,476 times
If people are posting here about moving without a job, that alone is evidence that they are putting some thought into the situation. It is hard to draw conclusions from generalizations. Many people have job skills that are broad. In certain areas of the country, they have better chances of getting a job in their field. For example, in the Raleigh area, there is a concentration of technical companies in the RTP area.

If someone is moving here, paying rent, shopping at local stores, etc. it sounds good to me. If they find the move to be a postive one for their family, good for them.

Sometimes in life we have to take leaps of faith.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:18 PM

17 posts, read 23,552 times
Things have gotten really bad in Charlotte and they will get much , much worse.
Whomever started this post was right on the money, all the northerners moving here over the past couple of years 2008-now (since the recession started) have really damaged this city.
I don't have anything against northerners, especially if you came with a job and bought a house.
But for you all and you know who you are, who showed up with no job, not paying taxes, and getting on unemployment, at the worst economic period in NC should be ashamed of yourself.

Charlotte is a nice city for families, there was a time when jobs were plentiful and the city couldn't spend extra money fast enough to build it up. But now, we need people to leave and Charlotte needs to recover. Its not meant to be a refugee city for people who are unhappy in their respective city.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
If people are posting here about moving without a job, that alone is evidence that they are putting some thought into the situation. It is hard to draw conclusions from generalizations. Many people have job skills that are broad. In certain areas of the country, they have better chances of getting a job in their field. For example, in the Raleigh area, there is a concentration of technical companies in the RTP area.

If someone is moving here, paying rent, shopping at local stores, etc. it sounds good to me. If they find the move to be a postive one for their family, good for them.

Sometimes in life we have to take leaps of faith.
Point of the thread is ..we become the Northeast. Not saying people shouldn't do it.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:44 PM

1,554 posts, read 2,929,443 times
Collapse, take a deep breath. Btwn this last post and what you had to say about single women in Charlotte, one wonders why you're still here. If someone got laid off in another state and came down here, they couldn't collect unemployment from NC. It's not to say that most of the posts on this thread are legitimate concerns, but let's keep this in perspective. We see posts all the time from people looking for info and they get blasted by people telling them to find a job first. We never hear back from them so who knows if they took our advice.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:00 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,165,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Collapse, take a deep breath. Btwn this last post and what you had to say about single women in Charlotte, one wonders why you're still here. If someone got laid off in another state and came down here, they couldn't collect unemployment from NC. It's not to say that most of the posts on this thread are legitimate concerns, but let's keep this in perspective. We see posts all the time from people looking for info and they get blasted by people telling them to find a job first. We never hear back from them so who knows if they took our advice.

That is very true, Chuckles, and it is actually cause for MORE concern - and makes OP's point very well.

We know for a fact that we need 75-100K new jobs in this region to put people FULLY back to work. Now think about that, folks.

We have all these people out of work . . . and more coming in monthly with no jobs (we are not talking about folks who are moving here WITH jobs).

BUT - b/c they are getting the unemployment thru/ a different state, they are not showing up as unemployed in NC. That means the actual figures of jobs needed is even HIGHER than the records show.

The average number of jobs being created in Charlotte over the last decade was between 15-17.5K a year. Now you tell me . . . how are we suddenly gonna get enough jobs to cover all the folks who need jobs here?

And how we will ever have an accurate picture of the situation when a substantial % of newcomers arriving here are not being counted as out of work NC residents?

When I tried to get folks to understand this in 2008,2009, 2010 . . . I was told I was a hater and just didn't want folks moving here. I tried to explain our social services system was already broken, our budget was going into the red, and that the number of federal vouchers for rent subsistence was going up, wh/ means more housing changed to Section 8 . . . and no one wanted to listen.

JP is saying - take a look around. It ain't over yet! The repercussions from all this are gonna hit in the next few years. Folks moving here thinking they will "have a better life here" and can "get a job doing something" are in for a shock. College graduates are glad to get $12/hr jobs these days. Unemployment checks run out . . . no job on the horizon . . . you do what you have to do to pay the utility bills and put food on the table . . . but finding even those service related jobs is difficult these days and will only become more rare when there are no more extensions for unemployment compensation.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,609,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post

There UE would transfer from whatever State they are leaving to NC, so yeah they would be on the NC roll.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That is very true, Chuckles, and it is actually cause for MORE concern - and makes OP's point very well.

We know for a fact that we need 75-100K new jobs in this region to put people FULLY back to work. Now think about that, folks.

We have all these people out of work . . . and more coming in monthly with no jobs (we are not talking about folks who are moving here WITH jobs).

BUT - b/c they are getting the unemployment thru/ a different state, they are not showing up as unemployed in NC. That means the actual figures of jobs needed is even HIGHER than the records show.

The average number of jobs being created in Charlotte over the last decade was between 15-17.5K a year. Now you tell me . . . how are we suddenly gonna get enough jobs to cover all the folks who need jobs here?

And how we will ever have an accurate picture of the situation when a substantial % of newcomers arriving here are not being counted as out of work NC residents?

When I tried to get folks to understand this in 2008,2009, 2010 . . . I was told I was a hater and just didn't want folks moving here. I tried to explain our social services system was already broken, our budget was going into the red, and that the number of federal vouchers for rent subsistence was going up, wh/ means more housing changed to Section 8 . . . and no one wanted to listen.

JP is saying - take a look around. It ain't over yet! The repercussions from all this are gonna hit in the next few years. Folks moving here thinking they will "have a better life here" and can "get a job doing something" are in for a shock. College graduates are glad to get $12/hr jobs these days. Unemployment checks run out . . . no job on the horizon . . . you do what you have to do to pay the utility bills and put food on the table . . . but finding even those service related jobs is difficult these days and will only become more rare when there are no more extensions for unemployment compensation.
Exactly..even up north it is frighteningly hard to find work. I think without a job people need to stay put and use their networking abilities to find jobs. AND STOP moving for the weather!~!!!!! its not worth it for that This fragile infrastructure is bending, bending .......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or