U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 02:35 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
There UE would transfer from whatever State they are leaving to NC, so yeah they would be on the NC roll.

I thought that is how it worked but have been told by many folks who have moved here f/ other states that they are still drawing unemployment from the state they moved from.

I also have a friend from here in CLT who moved to NY and was still drawing UE from NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 02:38 PM

1,554 posts, read 2,931,122 times
A relative of mine was working from home down here for a company in NJ and got laid off. She's collecting from NJ.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:21 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,076,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
I know of many people up north that have been without jobs for a long time, with little hope in sight.

If you can move anywhere and have a lower cost of living(mortgage, taxes, etc..)why not do it? I've been here two years now. My mortgage went from $2400.00 a month for a tiny house with almost no property, to $800.00 a month for a large house on an acre. Property tax went from $13000.00 to $2000.00 a year. So, I clearly made the right move. We are very happy.

I have a job, but if I had to live anywhere without employment, I'd rather live with lower bills down here, then outrages bills up there.

Even if I lost my current job, I'd still have income to cover my current bills. The same situation up north and I would not be able to cover my bills.
You do realize that there is more to life for people other then how cheaply they can live right? Some people actually want to live around their family, and some people actually want to live where there are more amenities that they enjoy, even if it's costlier.

A lower cost of living generally means a lower standard of living, so you may move somewhere where your mortgage and property taxes are cheaper (since that is what everyone seems to be fixated on these days), but you will see lower salaries for the same level of work, less public transportation, fewer desirable amenities, higher crime, ect.

For us, personally, moving here from Western New York meant a higher COL, but also a higher standard of living. We chose Charlotte (instead of Louisville, Nashville, or Raleigh), because it was near family in Roanoke, within a days drive of WNY, and because of my previous employment in the banking industry. We moved after getting married, my wife had a job secured, and I had one after 2 months of living here. We are able to set down roots, and the pros and cons of the area meet our needs, but may not for everyone who is just looking to escape a high mortgage or property taxes

Old 02-15-2011, 03:50 PM

679 posts, read 528,565 times
Quote:
There UE would transfer from whatever State they are leaving to NC, so yeah they would be on the NC roll.
Actually, this is incorrect. You receive unemployment benefits from whichever state you paid payroll taxes in over the past 18 months. I had this occur for me a while back when I moved to California and received unemployment from California and Louisiana.

I applied with California UE and they interviewed me and needed all the details on my jobs in and out of California and it was set up so that I had a specific amount total I could get from unemployment in California, and there was an amount that was tacked on to increase my total that came from my time worked in Louisiana over the 18 months. The second part was paid for through Louisiana funds. The same would occur in any other state.

If people just move into the state, yes they can apply through NC to qualify for unemployment, but it is the state that they paid into that is left with the burden

Old 02-15-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
You do realize that there is more to life for people other then how cheaply they can live right? Some people actually want to live around their family, and some people actually want to live where there are more amenities that they enjoy, even if it's costlier.
This is exactly why me and my fiancee are considering moving. Yes it will be nice to be in a place where the cost of living is absurd, but we picked Charlotte as a good place almost primarily because it is almost Exactly halfway between both of our families. We're tired of being so far away from everyone we love back home.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:11 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,616,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Actually, this is incorrect. You receive unemployment benefits from whichever state you paid payroll taxes in over the past 18 months. I had this occur for me a while back when I moved to California and received unemployment from California and Louisiana.

I applied with California UE and they interviewed me and needed all the details on my jobs in and out of California and it was set up so that I had a specific amount total I could get from unemployment in California, and there was an amount that was tacked on to increase my total that came from my time worked in Louisiana over the 18 months. The second part was paid for through Louisiana funds. The same would occur in any other state.

If people just move into the state, yes they can apply through NC to qualify for unemployment, but it is the state that they paid into that is left with the burden

Right, the State that received the funds is where the insurance will come from but the individual will transfer to the new State.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Right, the State that received the funds is where the insurance will come from but the individual will transfer to the new State.
Ohhhh, I think I misinterpreted your statement from before. I thought when you said the person would be on the NC roll, you meant that they would be on the NC liability.

But now I'm realizing you were saying that they would be counted by NC as being an unemployed person living in NC because they would have to register with NC unemployment. Which would then counter the fears that some other posters had as far as having a "hidden" population of unemployed residing in Charlotte.

I think you are completely right, and apologize for my misunderstanding earlier.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:59 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,616,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Ohhhh, I think I misinterpreted your statement from before. I thought when you said the person would be on the NC roll, you meant that they would be on the NC liability.

But now I'm realizing you were saying that they would be counted by NC as being an unemployed person living in NC because they would have to register with NC unemployment. Which would then counter the fears that some other posters had as far as having a "hidden" population of unemployed residing in Charlotte.

I think you are completely right, and apologize for my misunderstanding earlier.

No worries......

Old 02-15-2011, 07:27 PM

830 posts, read 1,318,935 times
The hyperbole on this thread is pretty amusing. Like companies, cities can either grow or stagnate/decline. Yes, growth brings about challenges and issues...but it also brings about energy, ideas and money. You don't get to be a big airline hub without growth, you don't get new restaurants, shops, cultural venues, and all that. You can certainly take issue with some aspects of the growth - the speculation, plastic subdivisions in the exurbs...but seems as if some want to be the last to move here and then bar the door.

Migration is a natural pattern throughout the history of this country. East to West, the CA Gold Rush, Industrial revolution and the growth of cities, post WW2 migration of African Americans from the South to northern cities, boom in CA, moves to Sunbelt cities in the 80s/90s, etc.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 PM

9,585 posts, read 8,893,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
The hyperbole on this thread is pretty amusing. Like companies, cities can either grow or stagnate/decline. Yes, growth brings about challenges and issues...but it also brings about energy, ideas and money. You don't get to be a big airline hub without growth, you don't get new restaurants, shops, cultural venues, and all that. You can certainly take issue with some aspects of the growth - the speculation, plastic subdivisions in the exurbs...but seems as if some want to be the last to move here and then bar the door.

Migration is a natural pattern throughout the history of this country. East to West, the CA Gold Rush, Industrial revolution and the growth of cities, post WW2 migration of African Americans from the South to northern cities, boom in CA, moves to Sunbelt cities in the 80s/90s, etc.
Yep..and alot of big airline companies go out of business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or