Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
.....You don't get to be a big airline hub without growth....
An airline hub can be anywhere. It doesn't depend upon the local O&D traffic. They are located near cities because cities have the financial ability to build them. Charlotte has a USAir hub because many years ago, Winston-Salem based Piedmont Airlines decided to put their first hub in Charlotte instead of GSO. The city of Charlotte promised to build a new terminal at Douglass Airport if they located it here. The hub opened in 1982.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 07:43 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
You do realize that there is more to life for people other then how cheaply they can live right? Some people actually want to live around their family, and some people actually want to live where there are more amenities that they enjoy, even if it's costlier.
And......some people WANT to move away from family. And......some people DO NOT want to pay a higher COL for amenities. I'm not twisting peoples arms to move here, or anywhere for that matter. Life is ALL about decisions, of coarse. If people want to live near family, so be it. As far as amenities go, *we* have everything we are interested in and are very content. Hence our happiness with our move. As far as family, in case you are assuming we moved away from them, we actually moved closer to them.

Quote:
A lower cost of living generally means a lower standard of living, so you may move somewhere where your mortgage and property taxes are cheaper (since that is what everyone seems to be fixated on these days), but you will see lower salaries for the same level of work, less public transportation, fewer desirable amenities, higher crime, ect.
We have not lowered our standards of living, quite the opposite. We moved away from Queens, NY. We moved AWAY from higher crime. We do not want or care for public transportation. In my experience, public transportation brings the undesirable element into areas where they would otherwise not have access to. I see that as a huge plus. Fewer amenities? As I already said, I have all that I desire.

Quote:
For us, personally, moving here from Western New York meant a higher COL, but also a higher standard of living. We chose Charlotte (instead of Louisville, Nashville, or Raleigh), because it was near family in Roanoke, within a days drive of WNY, and because of my previous employment in the banking industry. We moved after getting married, my wife had a job secured, and I had one after 2 months of living here. We are able to set down roots, and the pros and cons of the area meet our needs, but may not for everyone who is just looking to escape a high mortgage or property taxes

I think you have made a few assumptions about my post. Let me clear up what you may have been thinking. Our MAIN reason for leaving Queens, NY was to escape the rat race. To escape high crime. To escape congestion. Our MAIN reason for moving was NOT lower mortgage/taxes. Albeit, it was a great added benefit. Now, we could argue all day about Charlotte crime and traffic, but it's all relative. From where I lived up north to where I live now? There is no comparison, Charlotte is a huge improvement.

So, to recap, we have the amenities we want. We have less crime, better quality of life. We have less congestion. We have a larger home with MUCH bigger property. We have family close by. We could not ask for better neighbors. We have jobs. And yes, *GULP*, our mortgage and taxes are lower.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:53 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
And......some people WANT to move away from family. And......some people DO NOT want to pay a higher COL for amenities. I'm not twisting peoples arms to move here, or anywhere for that matter. Life is ALL about decisions, of coarse. If people want to live near family, so be it. As far as amenities go, *we* have everything we are interested in and are very content. Hence our happiness with our move. As far as family, in case you are assuming we moved away from them, we actually moved closer to them.

We have not lowered our standards of living, quite the opposite. We moved away from Queens, NY. We moved AWAY from higher crime. We do not want or care for public transportation. In my experience, public transportation brings the undesirable element into areas where they would otherwise not have access to. I see that as a huge plus. Fewer amenities? As I already said, I have all that I desire.

I think you have made a few assumptions about my post. Let me clear up what you may have been thinking. Our MAIN reason for leaving Queens, NY was to escape the rat race. To escape high crime. To escape congestion. Our MAIN reason for moving was NOT lower mortgage/taxes. Albeit, it was a great added benefit. Now, we could argue all day about Charlotte crime and traffic, but it's all relative. From where I lived up north to where I live now? There is no comparison, Charlotte is a huge improvement.

So, to recap, we have the amenities we want. We have less crime, better quality of life. We have less congestion. We have a larger home with MUCH bigger property. We have family close by. We could not ask for better neighbors. We have jobs. And yes, *GULP*, our mortgage and taxes are lower.
Ah Queens. Where I met my wife.. good memories.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:57 PM

830 posts, read 1,529,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
An airline hub can be anywhere. It doesn't depend upon the local O&D traffic. They are located near cities because cities have the financial ability to build them. Charlotte has a USAir hub because many years ago, Winston-Salem based Piedmont Airlines decided to put their first hub in Charlotte instead of GSO. The city of Charlotte promised to build a new terminal at Douglass Airport if they located it here. The hub opened in 1982.
Charlotte has outlasted a lot of former Allegheny/Piedmont/USAir hubs. Look at where the big hubs are today - ORD, DFW, ATL, HOU, SFO, MIA, IAD, LAX, MSP, etc. Aside from a legacy Northwest hub in DET, airline hubs are in major cities.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 PM

189 posts, read 333,734 times
I think you have to be realistic about moving. I came down here in August without a job. I worked at Bloom in Dilworth for 8 weeks. But I have my MBA, came from Cleveland (obviously) where I probably wouldn't have even been able to get a grocery store job.

I think moving without having something going for you is reckless. But moving from a blue collar city to a white collar city with some credentials, I found the opportunities for myself to be more plentiful down here then my previous city for similar cost of living.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:37 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
That pretty much describes my situation. (except we are good for more than one year)
Yes - and we knew I wouldn't be able to work and would only have one modest salary coming in, but we cut our coat according to our cloth and still have a better quality of life here and consider that we are lucky to be here.

I am , however, constantly amazed by the people that say they are "hard up" when they have the latest gadgets, 3 cars etc etc etc.

I had a guy today tell me he got a bargain on Ebay- a $300 toaster for $100!!

Someone my husband works with told him that even thought they don't have child care to pay for they still never have any money left at the end of the month and they bring home $5000 per month.

Really? Take a look at what you have and then tell me you're hard up.

Point of this?

What people "expect" to have and what they consider " a better quality of life " varies and doesn't always involve vast amounts of money.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:48 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
The hyperbole on this thread is pretty amusing. Like companies, cities can either grow or stagnate/decline. Yes, growth brings about challenges and issues...but it also brings about energy, ideas and money. You don't get to be a big airline hub without growth, you don't get new restaurants, shops, cultural venues, and all that. You can certainly take issue with some aspects of the growth - the speculation, plastic subdivisions in the exurbs...but seems as if some want to be the last to move here and then bar the door.

Migration is a natural pattern throughout the history of this country. East to West, the CA Gold Rush, Industrial revolution and the growth of cities, post WW2 migration of African Americans from the South to northern cities, boom in CA, moves to Sunbelt cities in the 80s/90s, etc.

Out of interest, how many people posting on this thread were born in NC or came to live here with parents/guardian whilst still a minor?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:40 PM

306 posts, read 436,336 times
Why does someone who happens to live within the borders of a particular state or city have a greater right to a job there? It seems to me that the job search advantage clearly goes to the person who already lives there to begin with. If someone moves there and gets a job they were either the more ambitious or more qualified candidate.

Hoping for a protectionist job market is not the best way for an economy to flourish. For a company to give a job to someone simply because they happen to live closer to their office is not a good way to enhance their workforce. How about hiring the best and brightest?

Also, if people move there without jobs and it doesn't work out, what is the big deal? They show up for 6 months or so, drop 20-25k into the local economy and move on. People have been moving throughout the US for a long time with all kinds of successes and failures.

I am sure that the population growth there is frustrating to some people but isn't this constant vilification of folks who want to relocate getting a bit old?

I wish someone would please identify the date that the last person was allowed to move to NC and close the door behind them. That might clear things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Some of us have been saying that all along, and derided as "naysayers". Now others are waking up to the big social upheavel happening here, the traffic, rising cost of living, general rudeness...and yet they keep coming, and coming, and coming, and coming, and coming...and then they invite their whole extended families down when they do. And even those who move WITH a job are taking a job (unless they are self-employed, telecommuting, or bringing a business that actually will create more jobs, in which case come on down!) that could have gone to someone already living here, reducing our high rate of unemployment.

Last edited by movedoften; 02-15-2011 at 10:11 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 06:45 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
Why does someone who happens to live within the borders of a particular state or city have a greater right to a job there? It seems to me that the job search advantage clearly goes to the person who already lives there to begin with. If someone moves there and gets a job they were either the more ambitious or more qualified candidate.

Hoping for a protectionist job market is not the best way for an economy to flourish. For a company to give a job to someone simply because they happen to live closer to their office is not a good way to enhance their workforce. How about hiring the best and brightest?

Also, if people move there without jobs and it doesn't work out, what is the big deal? They show up for 6 months or so, drop 20-25k into the local economy and move on. People have been moving throughout the US for a long time with all kinds of successes and failures.

I am sure that the population growth there is frustrating to some people but isn't this constant vilification of folks who want to relocate getting a bit old?

I wish someone would please identify the date that the last person was allowed to move to NC and close the door behind them. That might clear things up.

Nobody said people cant move! I did..but in 06 when this city was still pushing out jobs with no housing crisis....

You say hire the best people, great! Who is hiring anybody? There are NO JOBS....! Other areas are not dealing with this problem in a DOWN economy. Usually growth occurs when unemployment is low and people have a good foundation to make a move. Housing is a mess here now too. I do think the mass exodus to move has slowed down, but its still more than enough to add to the local economies woes. You obviously don't live here so I don't see how you can make a blanket statement without looking at the DIRECT results for the city. All your statements make sense in a 5% unemployment area. Not at 15 percent ..yea , I know the OFFICIAL number is 10 percent but that is, well a nice political coverup.....I won't go further.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:46 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post

There are many reasons why people are or could be upset. It could be anywhere from not liking outsiders, to now feeling since the economy and job market is in the crapper, lets look at reasons to blame someone. The easiest target is people who are not natives......

I'm sure you noticed there were no complaints several years ago when the economy was humming and everything was hunky dorey.....

Having said that, one must be fair and understand that 2011 is not 2006 where you can come down and find employment relatively quickly. That ship has sailed years ago. If you are to be successful (IMO), you have to have 6-12 months emergency fund and a secure well paying job before moving here.....not rocket science but some people coming to this area still have the blinders on......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte