U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:33 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,898,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
And......some people WANT to move away from family. And......some people DO NOT want to pay a higher COL for amenities. I'm not twisting peoples arms to move here, or anywhere for that matter. Life is ALL about decisions, of coarse. If people want to live near family, so be it. As far as amenities go, *we* have everything we are interested in and are very content. Hence our happiness with our move. As far as family, in case you are assuming we moved away from them, we actually moved closer to them.

We have not lowered our standards of living, quite the opposite. We moved away from Queens, NY. We moved AWAY from higher crime. We do not want or care for public transportation. In my experience, public transportation brings the undesirable element into areas where they would otherwise not have access to. I see that as a huge plus. Fewer amenities? As I already said, I have all that I desire.

I think you have made a few assumptions about my post. Let me clear up what you may have been thinking. Our MAIN reason for leaving Queens, NY was to escape the rat race. To escape high crime. To escape congestion. Our MAIN reason for moving was NOT lower mortgage/taxes. Albeit, it was a great added benefit. Now, we could argue all day about Charlotte crime and traffic, but it's all relative. From where I lived up north to where I live now? There is no comparison, Charlotte is a huge improvement.

So, to recap, we have the amenities we want. We have less crime, better quality of life. We have less congestion. We have a larger home with MUCH bigger property. We have family close by. We could not ask for better neighbors. We have jobs. And yes, *GULP*, our mortgage and taxes are lower.
wow. just wow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 07:45 AM

9,578 posts, read 8,879,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
wow. just wow
I don't get it..what is wrong with what he said?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:35 AM

306 posts, read 368,806 times
So what was the exact date after you moved there that it was no longer acceptable to relocate to Charlotte?

Saying that there are NO JOBS is ridiculous. I find that people who constantly complain about no jobs are usually less employable than those who simply make the best effort they can to get a job. Negative attitudes tend to leak into every facet of someone's life, including job searching and interviewing.

Also, what does the housing crisis have to do with people moving to CLT?

If anything, increased demand will help to stabilize housing.

Maybe you will feel better if you commiserate with these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh5pqt1sM8w

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Nobody said people cant move! I did..but in 06 when this city was still pushing out jobs with no housing crisis....

You say hire the best people, great! Who is hiring anybody? There are NO JOBS....! Other areas are not dealing with this problem in a DOWN economy. Usually growth occurs when unemployment is low and people have a good foundation to make a move. Housing is a mess here now too. I do think the mass exodus to move has slowed down, but its still more than enough to add to the local economies woes. You obviously don't live here so I don't see how you can make a blanket statement without looking at the DIRECT results for the city. All your statements make sense in a 5% unemployment area. Not at 15 percent ..yea , I know the OFFICIAL number is 10 percent but that is, well a nice political coverup.....I won't go further.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
So what was the exact date after you moved there that it was no longer acceptable to relocate to Charlotte?

Saying that there are NO JOBS is ridiculous. I find that people who constantly complain about no jobs are usually less employable than those who simply make the best effort they can to get a job. Negative attitudes tend to leak into every facet of someone's life, including job searching and interviewing.

Also, what does the housing crisis have to do with people moving to CLT?

If anything, increased demand will help to stabilize housing.

Maybe you will feel better if you commiserate with these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh5pqt1sM8w

I will say it AGAIN..... It is acceptable to move to Charlotte. My point of this thread is merely to state that the people coming here with no jobs are straining the infrastructure. I came here with a JOB ......! This thread was to point out how taxes and cost of living and everything else will mirror the northeast eventually. Well that is if the whole infrastructure does not collapse first.

Ok ..I take back no jobs..obviously a misnomer...you KNOW what I mean though. The housing market is a perfect indicator of the economic strain here...wow

Old 02-16-2011, 09:22 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,198,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
and not think much of it. Now I am frightened by the number of people moving here with no job, no NOTHING other than to get away (run away) from where they are. This area will be as bad as the northeast in 15 years at this rate. Too many people moving in, not enough jobs to sustain. A frightening prospect.
the way economies usually work, people moving in create demand for goods and services, which in turn creates new jobs.

i realize that in a recession where the labor market is particularly soft, it seems like population growth constitutes a problem, but i disagree.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 AM

18 posts, read 38,071 times
Wow, I am amazed at reading this thread. In 2000, I relocated from NJ to Raleigh, NC with a job, my company transferred me. We thought we would have a much better quality of life to raise our family and we were right. But every so often there was this ugly little entitlement bug that poked its head up nagged "You northerners are taking everything" or "You Californians moving here with money are driving the prices up for the rest of us" or similar uneducated remarks. I left Raleigh in 2005 to move to Indiana, again with a job. I consider myself American and free to move to any state in the country that I wish. Now in 2011 I am considering a move to Charlotte, again with a job and in reading this post I find that perhaps those old ugly feelings from Raleigh actually exist in Charlotte as well, if not more so. Wow, so much for progress.

To those who talk about jobs and people from other states "taking" from Charlotte or NC and how "others" are "ruining", please know this - I am perfectly content in Indiana and am not *dying* to move to Charlotte. However, I will probably relocate to the area. Why? I have a job opportunity for a company based in Charlotte that...wait for it...cannot find a local qualified person to fit the position. So, yes, I may "take" away from your infrastructure and add to your congestion on the roads, blah blah blah. But I will also pay NC taxes allow an NC company to grow, who also pays NC taxes by the way. Those taxes support the very infrastructure that I am taking from.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:43 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,699,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocomom View Post
Wow, I am amazed at reading this thread. In 2000, I relocated from NJ to Raleigh, NC with a job, my company transferred me. We thought we would have a much better quality of life to raise our family and we were right. But every so often there was this ugly little entitlement bug that poked its head up nagged "You northerners are taking everything" or "You Californians moving here with money are driving the prices up for the rest of us" or similar uneducated remarks. I left Raleigh in 2005 to move to Indiana, again with a job. I consider myself American and free to move to any state in the country that I wish. Now in 2011 I am considering a move to Charlotte, again with a job and in reading this post I find that perhaps those old ugly feelings from Raleigh actually exist in Charlotte as well, if not more so. Wow, so much for progress.

To those who talk about jobs and people from other states "taking" from Charlotte or NC and how "others" are "ruining", please know this - I am perfectly content in Indiana and am not *dying* to move to Charlotte. However, I will probably relocate to the area. Why? I have a job opportunity for a company based in Charlotte that...wait for it...cannot find a local qualified person to fit the position. So, yes, I may "take" away from your infrastructure and add to your congestion on the roads, blah blah blah. But I will also pay NC taxes allow an NC company to grow, who also pays NC taxes by the way. Those taxes support the very infrastructure that I am taking from.
Yep, my husband was offered a job over 6 others.
No agency involved, it wasn't an intercompany transfer, he got the job fair and square.
Same with myself. I was offered a position that had been open for almost 2 yrs.
And we weren't even American and needed sponsorship for a visa.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 AM

21,961 posts, read 27,242,088 times
Quote:

Did you miss the part in the OP that clearly stated that the main concern is the people, with kids, showing up with no job in this economy?

Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Soo.............. welcome. Thats great. Do you people read the whole thread? You are not the problem if you have a job....

But AGAIN...my point is that Charlotte is setting up to mirror northern cities and all the problems people are running from..all i ever said.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:33 AM

10 posts, read 13,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collapse7c View Post
Its not meant to be a refugee city for people who are unhappy in their respective city.

And why not?? Every American has the right to pursue their happiness. Some of us are daring and have no problem telling fear to kiss it. If a person has the means to move and take a good year to look for a job...once again, why not? If they don't then they will learn their lesson pretty quick. None of you have the right to say that another should sit where they are and be unhappy. I'm unhappy where I'm at and will be doing something about it (i.e. moving to Charlotte WITHOUT a job). I can support myself for at least a year. If you're starting to become unhappy in Charlotte because of us northerners then move. You have your right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or