U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:12 AM

10,403 posts, read 19,439,269 times

Advertisements

Responding to several points in several threads:

Quote:
But now I'm realizing you were saying that they would be counted by NC as being an unemployed person living in NC because they would have to register with NC unemployment. Which would then counter the fears that some other posters had as far as having a "hidden" population of unemployed residing in Charlotte.
Many, many people all over C-D misunderstand the Unemployment rate. It has nothing to do with how many people are collecting Unemployment insurance, or from what state. It has to do with whether people are actively looking for a job or not. Please read this page from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. They actually perform a survey every month and ask people whether they worked that month, if not, then whether they looked for a paid job that month. If neither (i.e. retired, in school, home with kids, etc) they are considered "out of the labor force" and not counted in either numerator nor denominator. Over and over people think that "collecting unemployment" is related to the Unemployment figures we see, but it is not (well, undoubtedly it is related, but it's correlation, not definition)

Quote:
Like companies, cities can either grow or stagnate/decline.
Every time someone complains about too-fast growth , this tired statement is pulled out. Those who post it don't seem to understand that there is a happy medium between TOO MUCH GROWTH and being "stagnant". 2.5% is a healthy growth rate; 5% is not. IF you're at 5% or 4% and say "I wish it were only 2%", you are not wishing "stagnation" on the economy; you are wishing for a reasonable level of growth that the infrastructure (not to mention the culture) can keep up with. This whole "either you grow, or you die" as the "end-all" to every argument on controlling growth is foolish. Virtually NOBODY is hoping for a negative growth rate.

Quote:
Also, if people move there without jobs and it doesn't work out, what is the big deal? They show up for 6 months or so, drop 20-25k into the local economy and move on. People have been moving throughout the US for a long time with all kinds of successes and failures.
Apparently, these folks are NOT moving on; they are staying here, complaining about it, and getting on things like Food Stamps, Medicaid, and other social benefits paid for out of NC funds which include a $3.7 Bill deficit. Of course there is always migration, but at least going by the C-D boards, there are many, many folks who "bought the fairy tale" that setting foot in NC, they would instantly be inundated with 50 wonderful job offers, and now, two years later, they still haven't found anything and now are trapped because they can't afford to move back where they came from, and they wish they hadn't been so hasty to move here just because "everybody says to move to NC..."

Quote:
If a person has the means to move and take a good year to look for a job...once again, why not?
Once again, what happens after that year?

Quote:
If people are moving en masse to escape or embrace a better tomorrow, then welcome them. They are coming in with a positive outlook, keener desire to excel.
Many do come with a positive outlook, but many do not--they complain daily about how "we don't do it like that UP NAWTH--what's WRAWNG with you people??" or gripe about the pizza in NC, or the snow removal, or complain about Southern accents and ways (tell me again WHY you chose to move to a SOUTHERN state if you hate Southern accents??). Many former New Yorkers have actually comfirmed that one of NYer's favorite "hobbies" is to complain, just for the sake of complaining. So while in the South, the rule is "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all", apparently in parts of NY, it is "If you can't complain about something, don't say anything at all." Needless to say, this is a big downer on the culture of an area where complaining is not seen as a "sport". In an area where such a preponderance of transplants come from NY/NJ/Long Island where people are more aggressive, complaining, louder, and more impatient is a huge reason NC natives (or long-timers, especially from other areas originally) would like to slow down the "mass exodus" from NJ/NY to NC. It is "qualitative" as much as it is "quantitative". And yes, I know not all from that area fit the stereotypes, but unfortunately, there are enough who do to make locals guarded about more coming in, especially the thousands upon thousands (many bringing extended families and inviting their whole neighborhood behind them) who have been moving here in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 04:15 AM

3,756 posts, read 8,401,468 times
I am one of the posters that moved from the North. Whether from the north or south, we were taught respect at a young age. Moved here with employment, fixed up my house both inside and out. Chances are if people complain, they complain no matter what geographical area they are living in. I love it here. People can be negative, but that is their problem. This is a beautiful state with much to offer. Whether someone is here 20 years or 20 minutes, we are all paying taxes. I do not mind the traffic. I love the fact that when you go to a business, folks take the time to talk to you and spend time getting to know you.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:00 AM

830 posts, read 1,319,061 times
Don't know what it's like in other areas, but around us, there are a lot of transplants, but only know of one family from NY. All the other transplants are OH/PA/MI...or SC/GA. There are a lot of people who have worked in NYC at one time or another, but that will pretty much be true of anywhere there is a large concentration of finance and banking types.

I just don't see Charlotte turning into a 'Northeastern' type city. The geography and density are just totally different. There is an issue with sprawl, but that's more indicative of nationwide trends (and worse in newer Sunbelt cities) than the northeast.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:29 AM

830 posts, read 1,319,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Responding to several points in several threads:

Every time someone complains about too-fast growth , this tired statement is pulled out. Those who post it don't seem to understand that there is a happy medium between TOO MUCH GROWTH and being "stagnant". 2.5% is a healthy growth rate; 5% is not. IF you're at 5% or 4% and say "I wish it were only 2%", you are not wishing "stagnation" on the economy; you are wishing for a reasonable level of growth that the infrastructure (not to mention the culture) can keep up with. This whole "either you grow, or you die" as the "end-all" to every argument on controlling growth is foolish. Virtually NOBODY is hoping for a negative growth rate.

The rate of growth in the US in the 1990s and 2000s was about 10% - so 2.5% would be losing ground relative to the country as a whole...but carry on.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:02 AM

295 posts, read 453,847 times
A person without a job/livelihood might come to Charlotte hoping his aspirations will be realized. Given the current situation its just as possible they will end up without a job. At which point they will leave. Because no matter where you live in USA you need money for survival. And people move to better there lives, so its not too much to expect that a failure will still keep them tied to la la land, they will move.

Its a bit naive to say more people move to Charlotte than NY. NY is a global city - There is one and only one NY. NY is known to billions around the planet who keep streaming into the city lured by the American dream. A lot of clueless migrants are taken advantage off yet tough it out because they want to make their life a success as per their standards of success. While Char-wot is discovered by NJ/NY and some others from the NE. Some on this Forum would have you believe we are once again in the middle of a Gold Rush where those from 49 other states are queing up on wagons, clamouring for a piece of gold on the gilted Charlotte roads.

Whether any city/state likes it or not people will continue to migrate to chase their dream of a better life. Isn't that one of the reasons why the founding fathers left their ancestral places!!!! The frills might have changed but basics remain the same, people live and fight on daily basis because they nurture hopes of a better tomorrow.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 AM

10 posts, read 13,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collapse7c View Post
Please do us all a favor and stay where are you, regardless of wherever that is and be a pestilence to that city.
Don't rationalize your career failures and lack of success. Moving and sitting around for a year in Charlotte hoping for a job is extremely irresponsible.
I could care less who moves here from region, I am always happy, my happiness is not affected by unfocused, irresponsible people who are looking forward to government assistance.
Come on down, we need more people without a job who live in fantasy land or is your house in foreclosure with a bankruptcy?

I'm 27, I have my degree and I'm currently working as an engineer. For my population group unemployment is lingering around 4.5%. Lets not forget the amount of recent college grads with little to no experience being included in that percentage. Not very scary. I do not know a single person I graduated with who is currently unemployed. So landing a job (any job) is far from a fantasy. The sky may be falling for you but not for me. Us newcomers without jobs are not single-handedly bringing your city down. When I do find that good job that matches my skill set, think about the amount of taxes I will be paying and the money I will be pumping back into the local economy.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:23 AM

8 posts, read 8,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Wow..you used a FORUM to decide a life move? Ouch....

And NY does not have the same influx of people moving in as NC ...not even close...you even said alot of people are leaving because they cant afford it...which way is it?

Yes sadly I have. There is 1000's of negative NC residents on here bashing it so much from the northerners moving in to the crumbling economy that it seems like you guys are going nowere but down hill. So, I will take my chances in NYC for a bit more. Thank god for C/D! And, Yes alot of people are leaving! mostly the native NYers that have young families like myself that cannot afford this booming real estate market (I have no intention on buying a 600k cottage!) but all of the blinded by the city lights relocaters keep on flocking in atleast for a bit.

I've noticed you do nothing but rant on here. Why dont you go outside for a bit and get some fresh air. Oh wait you cant all those big bad northerners are outside and they might cut you off in line!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 AM

9,585 posts, read 8,894,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeedad06 View Post
Yes sadly I have. There is 1000's of negative NC residents on here bashing it so much from the northerners moving in to the crumbling economy that it seems like you guys are going nowere but down hill. So, I will take my chances in NYC for a bit more. Thank god for C/D! And, Yes alot of people are leaving! mostly the native NYers that have young families like myself that cannot afford this booming real estate market (I have no intention on buying a 600k cottage!) but all of the blinded by the city lights relocaters keep on flocking in atleast for a bit.

I've noticed you do nothing but rant on here. Why dont you go outside for a bit and get some fresh air. Oh wait you cant all those big bad northerners are outside and they might cut you off in line!
HAhahaha..I AM a northerner! I moved here 4 years ago from Ny! All I rant about is the heat in summer (which I ALWAYS will rant about) . .... and the lack of jobs...other than that , its all good.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:38 AM

8 posts, read 8,188 times
Wow thats worse a NYer who seems to bash NYers lol ... So, You are one of those transplants who are afraid of new guys coming in it seems ... Good luck pal!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:48 AM

306 posts, read 369,411 times
Most of the people who post on here constantly complaining about growth and people moving there without jobs are simply consumed by their own fear.

They are scared that smarter, more experienced, more ambitious people will swoop in and take a piece of their turf.

If you currently live in NC you don't have any additional right to a job that is available there.

If the competition is getting stiff, step up and make something happen. Don't spend your time on C-D trying to dissuade people from moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or