Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 03:52 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,477 times

Advertisements

My guess is that 99% of the people living in Charlotte would not put newcomers on their list of what concerns them about the city. They are more concerned about crime, taxes, the state of schools, corruption in the government, etc. People moving here is generally considered a good thing.

This is the United States and I don't have an issue with any citizen and legal resident living where they choose to. Whether they have a job or not is none of my concern. If someone moves into my neighborhood, I don't care where they were born and raised. I care more that they keep their place up, don't have wild drunken parties at night (unless I am invited), and be respectful of others. As long as they come here with the idea they are investing in this community's future, I say the more the merrier.

For the record, I am from Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 05:01 PM

8 posts, read 9,465 times
Hello Everyone, Since you all feel the need to RANT, Here is Mine:

I am a born and raised New Yorker, whom owns their own moving business within NYC. It's funny how you all say that out-of-staters are "wrecking" your towns/ cities. When here in NYC People from ALL over the country flock in by the 100's EVERYDAY! Many of the people that I move are from NC, So why do you complain about us? You guys come from all over for our "city lights" and schools. Do you think that maybe out of staters are ruining NY???? We used to be able to afford NYC lives, buy homes, and more. But, NO, not NOW! This is because "not in the know" people move to NYC ghettos and pay $2000-$3000 per month!. If you think you are crowded want to move here and take 25 minutes to get 5 streets? Have so many people coming in to your city that 30+ people are living in warehouse apartments? Have nowhere to build but UP? I Don't think so! Our infrustructure cannot sustain that many people either!

Alot of people who are leaving the city cannot afford it anymore! They want a piece of the American Dream. Many leave to have the "country-esque" setting! They do not come to "take over". For the BIG chains? Most are bought by LOCAL moguls looking to expand! More highways??? The government builds for interstates in which are used as pass throughs.

Be reasonable! Please stop blaming out of towners for wanting the tranquility that their cities no longer offer!

Think about it, Have ALL of you NEVER moved out of your state, Town? Or even worked in another city? This means even those in suburbs working in bigger cities, you are then in turn also taking jobs from LOCALS!

Many relocate everywhere, it is about finding your own "haven". Most who leave, do not want a place like home! While some may say, "I am used to this". All of you say these things too, even if it is between two ,local shops, restaurants, etc...

People do not wreck a place by moving in, ever think that they envy that life style?

Just food for thought!

Last edited by Yankeedad06; 02-16-2011 at 05:15 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 05:30 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
Default I'd rather not shovel snow...who cares if I don't have a job

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Exactly..even up north it is frighteningly hard to find work. I think without a job people need to stay put and use their networking abilities to find jobs. AND STOP moving for the weather!~!!!!! its not worth it for that This fragile infrastructure is bending, bending .......
100% true. Now, one day when you have some time look over the posts on this board made over the past 4 years, when asked why they moved to CLT,always in the top TWO responses was "the weather"! I could never understand that but check it out.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,582 times
I came here to live with my longtime boyfriend who is from SC. I wanted to go to a good community college before I decide to transfer. I did much much research before coming here. Where I am from in PA, I think is much nicer. There is less crime (almost none), decent jobs if you go out to look for one, and a good friendly community. The problem is similar to what this thread is about. People from Baltimore and DC are coming 2 hours out of the cities to buy bigger cheaper houses with less taxes. So I can see where this thread is coming from, because it is happening to those small towns as well.

We came here because the bf had a job lined up here, and I needed good transferable schools. We came from living overseas, so anywhere we chose would be 'new' to us. We wanted to be near his aging family. But, based on how we see Charlotte deteriorating, I hope we find good jobs elsewhere in the country/world. I do like living here, but I don't see good in the future. And I dont understand why the crime rate is so high for this (smalltown) city.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:58 PM

17 posts, read 26,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmanak View Post
I moved here 2009 so I take offense, we move to new cities every few years as we are kinda like gypsies without the title. I am here for grad school and then I am moving outta here, only thing that would keep me is the weather otherwise.... the infrastructure her already sucks... it sucked in 2005, when I visited but I wanted to change scenery....
I don't care that you take offense, you need to build a bridge and get over it.
But, yes the infrastructure does suck here. This city like anywhere is geared toward a type, its very one-dimensional. The good side:Families. bankers, IT , healthcare, couples moving jobs buying a home settling, The bad side of people moving here:, holy rollers, fat soccer moms, people who want to the materialism of Manhattan without the costs and people running from something.

Its a SETTLEMENT town and always will be.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:04 PM

17 posts, read 26,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg83 View Post
And why not?? Every American has the right to pursue their happiness. Some of us are daring and have no problem telling fear to kiss it. If a person has the means to move and take a good year to look for a job...once again, why not? If they don't then they will learn their lesson pretty quick. None of you have the right to say that another should sit where they are and be unhappy. I'm unhappy where I'm at and will be doing something about it (i.e. moving to Charlotte WITHOUT a job). I can support myself for at least a year. If you're starting to become unhappy in Charlotte because of us northerners then move. You have your right.
Please do us all a favor and stay where are you, regardless of wherever that is and be a pestilence to that city.
Don't rationalize your career failures and lack of success. Moving and sitting around for a year in Charlotte hoping for a job is extremely irresponsible.
I could care less who moves here from region, I am always happy, my happiness is not affected by unfocused, irresponsible people who are looking forward to government assistance.
Come on down, we need more people without a job who live in fantasy land or is your house in foreclosure with a bankruptcy?

Old 02-16-2011, 06:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Spoiler
moderator marker

Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeedad06 View Post
Hello Everyone, Since you all feel the need to RANT, Here is Mine:

I am a born and raised New Yorker, whom owns their own moving business within NYC. It's funny how you all say that out-of-staters are "wrecking" your towns/ cities. When here in NYC People from ALL over the country flock in by the 100's EVERYDAY! Many of the people that I move are from NC, So why do you complain about us? You guys come from all over for our "city lights" and schools. Do you think that maybe out of staters are ruining NY???? We used to be able to afford NYC lives, buy homes, and more. But, NO, not NOW! This is because "not in the know" people move to NYC ghettos and pay $2000-$3000 per month!. If you think you are crowded want to move here and take 25 minutes to get 5 streets? Have so many people coming in to your city that 30+ people are living in warehouse apartments? Have nowhere to build but UP? I Don't think so! Our infrustructure cannot sustain that many people either!

Alot of people who are leaving the city cannot afford it anymore! They want a piece of the American Dream. Many leave to have the "country-esque" setting! They do not come to "take over". For the BIG chains? Most are bought by LOCAL moguls looking to expand! More highways??? The government builds for interstates in which are used as pass throughs.

Be reasonable! Please stop blaming out of towners for wanting the tranquility that their cities no longer offer!

Think about it, Have ALL of you NEVER moved out of your state, Town? Or even worked in another city? This means even those in suburbs working in bigger cities, you are then in turn also taking jobs from LOCALS!

Many relocate everywhere, it is about finding your own "haven". Most who leave, do not want a place like home! While some may say, "I am used to this". All of you say these things too, even if it is between two ,local shops, restaurants, etc...

People do not wreck a place by moving in, ever think that they envy that life style?

Just food for thought!

Does NYC have a 15 or more percent unemployment rate? Do people really move to expensive NYC without a job? I doubt it. Does NYC have more jobs to offer? YES Do you really think as many people are moving to NY from out of state as are moving here? NO

AGAIN...its not about stopping people from moving here. If you have a job lined up ...FEEL FREE and enjoy what this state has to offer ..

Old 02-16-2011, 10:56 PM

8 posts, read 9,465 times
Yes more people come to NYC everyday without jobs.
Yes NYC has more jobs to offer but the ratio is about the same.
The state of NC is a 9.8 as NY is 8.2 which isn't far behind. (See U.S bureau of Labor Statistics)
Also, take into consideration most students do not work or take in unemployment so they do not count in the statistics.
I actually contemplated moving over to NC myself but after reading numerous posts on the boards from native NCers I have decided to stay in NYC cause atleast here we welcome people not shun them away!

Old 02-16-2011, 11:14 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeedad06 View Post
Yes more people come to NYC everyday without jobs.
Yes NYC has more jobs to offer but the ratio is about the same.
The state of NC is a 9.8 as NY is 8.2 which isn't far behind. (See U.S bureau of Labor Statistics)
Also, take into consideration most students do not work or take in unemployment so they do not count in the statistics.
I actually contemplated moving over to NC myself but after reading numerous posts on the boards from native NCers I have decided to stay in NYC cause atleast here we welcome people not shun them away!
Wow..you used a FORUM to decide a life move? Ouch....

And NY does not have the same influx of people moving in as NC ...not even close...you even said alot of people are leaving because they cant afford it...which way is it?

Last edited by jp03; 02-16-2011 at 11:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte