Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:44 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,422 times

Advertisements

I did the opposite, I had a job offer in Charlotte, and didn't even know what it was like before I found this board.
We absolutely love it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 10:48 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
You think it's bad now...you should have seen the NC city-data forum in it's early days back in '06 before the housing bubble burst (this was back before there were regional forums, it was just all of NC in one forum)....there were sometimes literally DOZENS of threads DAILY popping up...."I live in LI/NJ/FL/MA/CA now and I think I deserve to have a bigger newer house with less taxes so I'm going to sell my older smaller house here that I didn't update at all but has tripled in value in the past 5 years for no reason, and move down/up/out there. I don't care if the traffic gets worse, the schools get overcrowded, that I know absolutely nothing about the area/state at all. It's not as expensive/crowded/tight job market there as it is here so I know for a fact I'll be happier and better off and blah blah blah"....if you tried to argue with their logic, or even so much as caution them to consider all the aspects this move would entail; they'd throw a hissy fit. Seriously, you have no idea how much better it is now. I was one of those who had lived in NC for a while before the housing boom, and was then planning on returning to the northeast because of what I saw as the changing dynamics of the triangle area (and also because my wife and I missed family and wanted our kids to be near extended family again, another aspect of these moves that a lot of people seem to not really consider too much). I was "crazy" back then.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:04 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
and not think much of it. Now I am frightened by the number of people moving here with no job, no NOTHING other than to get away (run away) from where they are. This area will be as bad as the northeast in 15 years at this rate. Too many people moving in, not enough jobs to sustain. A frightening prospect.
Some of us have been saying that all along, and derided as "naysayers". Now others are waking up to the big social upheavel happening here, the traffic, rising cost of living, general rudeness...and yet they keep coming, and coming, and coming, and coming, and coming...and then they invite their whole extended families down when they do. And even those who move WITH a job are taking a job (unless they are self-employed, telecommuting, or bringing a business that actually will create more jobs, in which case come on down!) that could have gone to someone already living here, reducing our high rate of unemployment.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:12 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Some of us have been saying that all along, and derided as "naysayers". Now others are waking up to the big social upheavel happening here, the traffic, rising cost of living, general rudeness...and yet they keep coming, and coming, and coming, and coming, and coming...and then they invite their whole extended families down when they do. And even those who move WITH a job are taking a job (unless they are self-employed, telecommuting, or bringing a business that actually will create more jobs, in which case come on down!) that could have gone to someone already living here, reducing our high rate of unemployment.
Yea..and i am not saying people can't move...its their right to do it. I am merely stating the fact that for better or worse NC will be no different than CT , NY or any other northeast state. Its only a matter of time.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:36 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I am merely stating the fact that for better or worse NC will be no different than CT , NY or any other northeast state. Its only a matter of time.
Then those people will move on, like locusts, to destroy another region.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:01 PM

149 posts, read 275,446 times
Or simply go back to where they came from ...at least close to it )))))

Old 02-15-2011, 12:02 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post

Could it not be that even without a job they have sat down and worked out that with the money they've made on their house in X city, they can move here , buy a house outright, have enough money to live for a year, pay much lower taxes and maybe work
That pretty much describes my situation. (except we are good for more than one year)

Old 02-15-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
That pretty much describes my situation. (except we are good for more than one year)
That doesn't endear you on here

Old 02-15-2011, 12:09 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,969 times
I know of many people up north that have been without jobs for a long time, with little hope in sight.

If you can move anywhere and have a lower cost of living(mortgage, taxes, etc..)why not do it? I've been here two years now. My mortgage went from $2400.00 a month for a tiny house with almost no property, to $800.00 a month for a large house on an acre. Property tax went from $13000.00 to $2000.00 a year. So, I clearly made the right move. We are very happy.

I have a job, but if I had to live anywhere without employment, I'd rather live with lower bills down here, then outrages bills up there.

Even if I lost my current job, I'd still have income to cover my current bills. The same situation up north and I would not be able to cover my bills.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
I know of many people up north that have been without jobs for a long time, with little hope in sight.

If you can move anywhere and have a lower cost of living(mortgage, taxes, etc..)why not do it? I've been here two years now. My mortgage went from $2400.00 a month for a tiny house with almost no property, to $800.00 a month for a large house on an acre. Property tax went from $13000.00 to $2000.00 a year. So, I clearly made the right move. We are very happy.

I have a job, but if I had to live anywhere without employment, I'd rather live with lower bills down here, then outrages bills up there.

Even if I lost my current job, I'd still have income to cover my current bills. The same situation up north and I would not be able to cover my bills.
Exactly Mike..thats why THIS will eventually become THAT. You hit it on the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte