Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 11:00 AM

15 posts, read 29,371 times

Advertisements

hi friends,

can we start listing the groceries shops name and other shopping places in different places of Charlotte here? what supermarkets , wholesale markets are there in Charlotte??? that would definitely help people who are new in Charlotte and planning to move there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 11:16 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
My favorite grocery store in Charlotte is Harris Teeter. They're all over town, their clean, well laid out and well stocked. Some people say they're expensive but I'll pay a (slight) premium for convenience. The one closest to my house is usually pretty empty (compared to the one in Cotswold which is a zoo although I love the hot food and hot Asian food tables). I can find almost everything I need except some Asian and Mexican ingredients, but Harris Teeter has plenty of those as well. There's even a growing British foods section in "mine". But I will also shop at Lowe's if I'm near one. I really enjoy grocery shopping (I know, I'm a freak) so I avoid the Bi-Lo and Food Lion near me because the ones near me are dark and somewhat depressing, although they both have very nice people working at them.

For harder to find ingredients, I like to explore Super G Mart on Independence at Village Lake Drive. It's a grocery store in a former K-mart. It's probably 75% Asian items, 10% Hispanic and the rest are varied. I love their frozen food section and I stock up on dumplings, noodles, pho and frozen seafood whenever I go there. Really cheap too. Last time I was there, there was a sign in the back that said they were opening a Korean restaurant within the store which I'm really excited about because I've not found good Korean food in Charlotte. I'm going to go out to Grand Asian market in Stallings this weekend to check it out because I'm told it's even better than Super G.

Lastly, I go to Trader Joe's almost every Saturday morning (get there early to avoid the crowds!). I love their cheese section, soups, wines, flowers, and a number of other things you can't find any where else and at great prices. It's a fun store to explore and the service is second to none.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:29 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch_K View Post
hi friends,

can we start listing the groceries shops name and other shopping places in different places of Charlotte here? what supermarkets , wholesale markets are there in Charlotte??? that would definitely help people who are new in Charlotte and planning to move there...
If you click on Search this forum & then type in groceries, you will find many threads. Here's some to start.

Grocery finds in the Charlotte area

Groceries

Your favorite grocery store and why?

Food Lion to Cut Prices

Old 02-17-2011, 11:35 AM

689 posts, read 1,656,084 times
I know there is a lot of talk about Whole Foods coming and I am as excited about that as the next person.

BUT! I think Earth Fare is an excellent grocery store and has all that you could ever need {the food bars at WF are better, I will admit} Earth Fare is a locally owned grocery store that does a great job of providing us with real, whole, healthy foods.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:07 PM

15 posts, read 29,371 times
what walmart or samsclub?? any shops to find fresh or good fish or meat??

Old 02-17-2011, 01:15 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Talk is still circulating about Publix building in Indian Land or Fort Mill in SC.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:23 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch_K View Post
any shops to find fresh or good fish or meat??
I love any type of whitefish (ie flounder/sea bass filets) and mussels marinara.....

The Harris Teeter by me has always come through w/fresh mussels when I've ordered them from the seafood department.....

Old 02-17-2011, 02:33 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
Yes, we have Wal-mart, Super Wal-Mart, Super Target and all of the big clubs. I just don't like shopping at them/have enough space to store 48 rolls of paper towels. One thing Charlotte is not lacking is shopping options. We have one of the most beauitful malls I've ever been at in SouthPark (and I have been in many, the one in Phoenix might rival it). When I have friends and family come down from NYC, there's always a lot of, "OMG, I can't believe you have (fill in the blank) in Charlotte". The only store we don't have that I miss from up North and H&M. I simply don't understand why we don't. And our Nordstrom is kind of small.

There are also several butchers and fishmongers throughout the city. The Meat House in Stone Crest comes to mind and Super G that I mentioned earlier has incredibly fresh seafood but as CouponJack pointed out, Harris Teeter has never let me down for shellfish and other seafood.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:05 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Hard to beat the Hairy Teet

(sorry, that's what my family always calls Harris Teeter!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte