U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:09 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,643,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You should be on the board. I'm being serious. It sounds like you would change things for the positive.
I appreciate that, Jack. My problem is that I might be conservative in many ways but I have a hard time not worrying and unfortunately there are times when you have to fine people and I just couldn't bear too many sad stories with the way people are losing their houses to foreclosures etc.

And yes I do admit that there are a lot of jerks out there that don't care about rules and paying their dues and I don't think I could deal with them right now either!

I'm not good at "leaving it at the office".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 04:12 PM

48 posts, read 74,764 times
Quote:
You have people who see blood and they attack....

99.9% of homeowners don't have issues. That's the problem most people who are against this choice don't want to hear.....
The person who doesn't want to HEAR is YOU! Where do you get your 99.9 percent from?..Your BIAS ..not ours! You are totally one sided. Can't see the harm some folks can do with the powers they have with HOA's. Glad you are having a great experience with your HOA. That is not always the case and for those suffering from abuse..take note!

You criticize everyone making any comments against HOA's. So go to another thread!! You are a trouble maker!

Old 04-07-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
This thread make me glad that I was never interested in a planned community.
Amen to that!!

Old 04-07-2011, 07:02 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,650,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchingGrace View Post
Where do you get your 99.9 percent from?..Your BIAS ..not ours! You are totally one sided. !

Blah, Blah, Blah. HOA's are communists Blah, Blah, Blah....

Don't you know that when people are content they don't complain? Granted, there are some legitimate complaints, but in the big picture, most people are content/satisfied w/their HOA. Sorry to break the obvious news.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,506,947 times
I lived in HOA btw for 7 years in Huntersville so I do have both perspectives.

With economy the way it is, the ton of foreclosures and people trying to pay their mortgages they would not be able to participate in this in a HOA community
Would you turn your home into a billboard for a free mortgage? :

Living with good neighbors is all it takes sharing in responsibility can work without fining people over minor issues.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

With economy the way it is, the ton of foreclosures and people trying to pay their mortgages they would not be able to participate in this in a HOA community

Living with good neighbors is all it takes sharing in responsibility can work without fining people over minor issues.
Excellent point!! Bravo!!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:55 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,650,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

Sunny, One can live in a neighborhood in an HOA and still can share responsibility.

As you know its hardly about "fining people over minor issues." The main purpose is to maintain common areas/pools/recreation areas....that's what I like and a lot of other people do too...!

Old 04-08-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Sunny, One can live in a neighborhood in an HOA and still can share responsibility.

As you know its hardly about "fining people over minor issues." The main purpose is to maintain common areas/pools/recreation areas....that's what I like and a lot of other people do too...!
We can agree on that. But I wonder if management companies get part of fines or what. The problem with poorly trained managers like we've had where I live is that every time one changes you have to start all over again educating them as to what the rules and laws are.

Why do the residents have to do that? Why can't the management company simply a) follow the law and b) look at the files before hitting someone with a violation.

There's this poor guy that has an RV that is at the front of our neighborhood. It's been there for 12 managers (they change every few months because they can't take the death threats that come with a job that you threaten to take people's houses without be educated. Not really THEIR fault and I don't agree with death threats but I understand what it feels like when this happens).

The guy has never been in violation but every time a new manager takes over and drives through they go (aha! an RV! that must not be allowed!) and then they send him a letter fining him $25 a day and threaten to put a lien on him. It's worse if the board changes too because the board doesn't think they have to train the management company, they feel the management company, being a management company should be training them. So the fresh manager tells the board someone is in violation when they are not because the new board members trust the new manager.

Finally, I went down to the register of deeds and printed this guy out a poster size copy of his plat that shows where the property lines are and he uses that so he doesn't feel he has to move to get away from the madness.

I throw this in because a lot of this doesn't make sense unless someone is making a spiff. I mean I hope the manager isn't on commission.

The last time they went after me for a parking issue I pointed out that the vehicle in question has been parked there for 6 years (I had a letter from the HOA too that said it matched the rules) and the new manager just replied "how do I know you just don't move it every time I come by?"

So in these cases it isn't neighbors calling to complain because neighbors know the rules better. It's the managers making drive bys, assuming things are wrong and then convincing the board that they must be right.

Maybe it isn't the same for you but it would be a lot more peaceful if these third party managers weren't being so proactive and driving around looking to fine people when there isn't a complaint. I've got to be suspicious of that.

In the meantime I came down so hard threatening lawsuits that now they don't seem to go after anyone with REAL violations with vehicles like boat trailers. That isn't right either. All I'm asking is for them to go by the CCRs that are in writing and do so equally for every one.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:17 PM

News UPDATE! Our lawyer called us friday to ask if we heard anything from the HOA and we hadn't received any response. TODAY, we received HOA meeting coming up with new budget for EVERYONE..LOL.. of course the dues are more $120. Can't wait to see what the lawyer says about this new event!! Now to check again for lien on our home! THese folks are sooo stubborn!

Old 04-16-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchingGrace View Post
News UPDATE! Our lawyer called us friday to ask if we heard anything from the HOA and we hadn't received any response. TODAY, we received HOA meeting coming up with new budget for EVERYONE..LOL.. of course the dues are more $120. Can't wait to see what the lawyer says about this new event!! Now to check again for lien on our home! THese folks are sooo stubborn!
I'd love to see the last stuff they sent you. They have to send certain documents written in a certain way before they can put a lien. Honest I know you want it to just go away but I'm thinking you deserve some cash for your troubles at this point. Whoever started this needs to feel some pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte