Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:17 AM

196 posts, read 428,462 times

Advertisements

Having recently moved to Charlotte, I am still still exploring all that it has to offer. What are the places that make Charlotte unique? Restaurants, shops, parks... What do you wish you had learned about earlier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 01:41 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,727 times
Alexander Michael's in 4th Ward. And 4th Ward in general! Beautiful! Go in the early spring. Walk the streets and check out the beauitufl Victorians, then have a beer and a snack at AM's!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:50 PM

550 posts, read 1,355,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Alexander Michael's in 4th Ward. And 4th Ward in general! Beautiful! Go in the early spring. Walk the streets and check out the beauitufl Victorians, then have a beer and a snack at AM's!
I'm a charlotte native and barely ventured into uptown until I got a job there. I drive by 4th ward a lot and finally was able to take in the beauty of it. Too bad I can't afford any of those places.

I know the rougher parts of Charlotte. I'm continually introduced to the nicer parts of Charlotte every year from the new friends I make. I feel like a tourist in my own city sometimes .

Old 02-18-2011, 05:56 PM

109 posts, read 349,756 times
Greenways and Showmars.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:13 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,485,846 times
I think I have been to Showmars 4 times since I have moved here, never chosen by me. I can't stand the place.

I can't think of any Charlotte only based places or eateries I can say I can rave about......not yet anyway.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:22 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,126,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH14 View Post
What are the places that make Charlotte unique?
One thing that stands out as being somewhat unique about Charlotte is the fact that outside of uptown, our road system is like a ball of twine. The grid system just fell apart. Some may relish this as a certain "uniqueness" while others may wonder "what drugs were these road planners on?". Yes, most cities, larger & smaller, have this 'no brain' grid system that makes navigating 20 miles in either direction, a complete breeze. I've been to many of those cities. Charlotte's grid is more akin to a hubcap, with uptown in the center, with twisty spokes. It all makes sense once you learn the patterns, and the fact that the same road can change names 6 times on it's course. It also makes driving around hilly, curvy roads less boring, and for some, more dangerous (thinking about the S turn crash on Sharon Rd last week). Anyway, I thought I'd share a different perspective about Charlotte's uniqueness.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:49 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
One thing that stands out as being somewhat unique about Charlotte is the fact that outside of uptown, our road system is like a ball of twine.
Outside?!? The same bad planning is in uptown too. For example, the transfer from I-77N to I-277... you have to merge from the far left lane across 3 lanes in less than a 1 mile stretch to get off on College, the exit for all the major businesses uptown.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:52 AM

109 posts, read 349,756 times
Here is what I like about Showmars - from someone who worked in the industry for over 20 years and holds a degree in the field. We frequent the 521 location near Indian Land.

Keep in mind, we are talking FAST CASUAL food with most items in the $5-$8 range.

1. Locally owned

2. The manager is also an owner - not like most national chains where most managers don't care as much as long as they keep getting a paycheck and maybe some bonus money. Even a number of other locally owned restaurants have very little owner interaction or involvement.

3. The employees actually seem to care about doing a good job - I don't see a lot of "long faces" as I often experience when even at higher-end restaurants. The teamwork is also excellent.

4. I've never been told "no or we don't do that." If I've asked to substitute a item, such as add lettuce or tomato, they make my request and don't need to "check with someone" to see if it's OK.

5. My order is usually at the table before I can even get my coat off, even on a weekend night when there is a line out the door. Heck, I've been to two full service sit-down restaurants in Southpark within the last month and it took 45 minutes for my orders and they both were completely wrong and lukewarm at best.

6. The food it hot and fresh. I usually have to let my food cool down.

7. Most visits a manager will actually stop by and ask how everything is. Drink refills offered freely.

It's the "little" things that the perceived high-end snobbish restaurants can't even get right anymore. When that Gyro and crispy hot crinkle-cut french fry craving hits, I'm off to Showmars - I know what I'm getting and I haven't been disappointed.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:11 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,566 times
I can't stand Showmars. The food is garbage.

Not all chains are the way you described. Most chains are franchised i.e. local owners. Most owners for those chains are managers. Yes, McDonald type workers might give that perception that they want to go home but that doesn't speak for all chains. Chic-Fil-A is over-the-top with the "how are you"s, "can I get you a refill", "how was your meal"... heck most of the time I have conversation with employees when I am in. Always they state "how may I serve you" with a big smile when taking your order. My local Quiznos is another example. The owner is working about every time I go. The staff always has on smiles and are joking around all the time when I am in. They allow me to create type of sub I can come up with (if they have the supplies) with them just charging for it like another sub (i.e. no higher price). Food at both places have always been hot.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 AM

575 posts, read 1,515,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhclt44 View Post
Here is what I like about Showmars - from someone who worked in the industry for over 20 years and holds a degree in the field. We frequent the 521 location near Indian Land.

Keep in mind, we are talking FAST CASUAL food with most items in the $5-$8 range.

1. Locally owned

2. The manager is also an owner - not like most national chains where most managers don't care as much as long as they keep getting a paycheck and maybe some bonus money. Even a number of other locally owned restaurants have very little owner interaction or involvement.

3. The employees actually seem to care about doing a good job - I don't see a lot of "long faces" as I often experience when even at higher-end restaurants. The teamwork is also excellent.

4. I've never been told "no or we don't do that." If I've asked to substitute a item, such as add lettuce or tomato, they make my request and don't need to "check with someone" to see if it's OK.

5. My order is usually at the table before I can even get my coat off, even on a weekend night when there is a line out the door. Heck, I've been to two full service sit-down restaurants in Southpark within the last month and it took 45 minutes for my orders and they both were completely wrong and lukewarm at best.

6. The food it hot and fresh. I usually have to let my food cool down.

7. Most visits a manager will actually stop by and ask how everything is. Drink refills offered freely.

It's the "little" things that the perceived high-end snobbish restaurants can't even get right anymore. When that Gyro and crispy hot crinkle-cut french fry craving hits, I'm off to Showmars - I know what I'm getting and I haven't been disappointed.
Same here. Wish I could wash it down with a beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte