Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 03:52 PM

10 posts, read 41,637 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been reading the posts on this forum for quite some time now and my husband and I will be visiting in early August. We have two children (ages 9 and 11 yrs) and would like to spend under $325,000. We are looking at Union County and there does seem to be more new construction in our price range in Indian Trail. Is there a major difference between the two areas ? I have read up on The Porter Ridge Schools (which are newer) and the Weddington/Waxhaw schools. We are from Westchester, New York. Thanks, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Dorothea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 04:02 PM

348 posts, read 430,301 times
You'll definitely find better deals in Indian Trail house-wise. That area is not considered as high-brow as Weddington. Most will tell you that the schools in Indian Trail are not as good as Weddington's---but you'll also find that there's tons of temp buildings behind the schools in Weddington because of the heavy overcrowding (everyone wants to live there!). An article in the paper about a month back indicated that there were more kids in temp buildings in Weddington High School than inside the actual school building itself.

If you look at subdivisions that are a little bit older and are willing to do some updating, you can get a nice house in Waxhaw/Weddington for that money with a bit of a bigger prop. But you can prob get brand spanking new in Indian Trail for $325k.

It's really what you're into. You'll find lots of NY'ers living in both areas, so you should feel right at home.

:-D

Old 07-22-2007, 04:09 PM

10 posts, read 41,637 times
Thanks for the input. I know the school ratings are slightly lower in Indian Trail but I don't think it is a major difference. I think once we come visit and compare the two areas we will know what will work for us.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:27 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
Half the kids at Weddington will be leaving this fall anyway, Marvin Ridge is opening Aug. 27th! Well, Marvin Ridge kind of opened last year, but only the 6th grade. Next year all of 6-12 will be on campus.

Dawn

Old 07-23-2007, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 5,243 times
Keep an eye on the proposed Monroe bypass. We too are considering Indian Trail, however the options listed by NCDOT will put the freeway just to the North of the existing Hwy 74 from the I485 interchange eastward to Wingate. Several neighborhoods between the Hemby Bridge / Lake Park area have received notice by the state including Bonterra Village (new equestrian community) the area is under consideration proposing 2010-2012 timing if this flies. Keep your fingers crossed they'll find some migratory snail native to Indian Trail causing a route diversion...

Old 07-23-2007, 08:19 AM

999 posts, read 4,652,910 times
I was happy to see that Crismark, where we've only been living for a few weeks, is NOT in the way of the new bypass (we need more neighbors too, we're on the very EDGE of the new area......nice to see the empty space that will someday be houses, but more neighbors would be nice too!)

Old 07-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Emy

113 posts, read 409,029 times
Waxhaw/Weddington area seems not as built up (yet) as Indian Trail. It feels more country like. The shopping centers going in are nicer(probably because they are newer). The price point is a little higher than Indian Trail but if you look you can find things in the same price range. I prefer Waxhaw over Indian Trail but both areas have pluses to them. We started building a house in Indian Trail. We ended up pulling out and buying in Waxhaw. We spent about $30,000 less and got a much nicer neighborhood. We really like it here.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:33 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,667,397 times
Indian Trail is ok, while Waxhaw and Weddington are extremely nice. You will find that there is a lot more money in the latter two, thus nicer shopping centers, homes, etc. I grew up in Weddington, played sports in Indian Trail, and went to Sun Valley High School. My personal opinion is that I would not buy in Indian Trail because it's just not as nice. You might call me a snob.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:12 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,059 times
I haven't been here terribly long (since February), but I would echo the sentiments of the last 2 posts, based on what I have observed.

We have good friends who bought in Indian Trail (Brandon Oaks subdiv), and they seem to like it there, but my dh and I did not care for it because a) the subdiv is huge and we prefer a smaller subdiv with larger lot sizes, and b) to us, it felt like Romper Room. We are kidless, and there were many families and playgrounds throughout - there is nothing at all wrong w/ that, it just wasn't what we wanted ourselves in a neighborhood. If you have kids, it might be just the thing for you.

It is more upscale in Weddington/Wesley Chapel, more rural, and we ended up buying in Price Mill in WC (82 homes total in the subdiv). When you come visit, take a good drive, please don't take my word for it re: IT b/c you might love it. Sorry I can't comment on schools, but I hear they are pretty good in both spots. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2007, 02:38 PM

32 posts, read 112,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
I was happy to see that Crismark, where we've only been living for a few weeks, is NOT in the way of the new bypass (we need more neighbors too, we're on the very EDGE of the new area......nice to see the empty space that will someday be houses, but more neighbors would be nice too!)
We have looked at Crismark when we were down there and like it. We liked the Westport homes. Can you tell me your thoughts on the sub division? Do you have kids? Have you researched the schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte