U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:42 AM

21,851 posts, read 27,123,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Thanks SB - I'll look into it!
The weekly here (Kings Mountain Herald) has dutifully followed this. Also the Gaston Gazette & Shelby Star. Does Monroe have a daily paper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:54 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,637,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The weekly here (Kings Mountain Herald) has dutifully followed this. Also the Gaston Gazette & Shelby Star. Does Monroe have a daily paper?
For Monroe and surrounding Union County, there are 3 main sources of info.....

the local paper is the enquirer journal...(which gets more local (see IT trader and Waxhaw exchange)).

The Enquirer Journal - Businesses, news, classifieds, events in the communities of Union County

Also, the Charlotte Weekly (which is made up of smaller communities - South Charlotte, Lake Norman, Union County, Matthews-Mint Hill, Mooresville, Denver, Mountain Island)

http://www.thecharlotteweekly.com/

Also, online, the village scribe is not too bad for certain information...

The Village Scribe Online

If something big is going on in Monroe, you should find it in 1 of 3 of those sources.....

Last edited by CouponJack; 02-21-2011 at 10:08 AM..

Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 AM

21,851 posts, read 27,123,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
For Monroe and surrounding Union County, there are 3 main sources of info.....

the local paper is the enquirer journal...(which also has even more local stories for IT trader and Waxhaw exchange).

The Enquirer Journal - Businesses, news, classifieds, events in the communities of Union County

Also, the Charlotte Weekly (which is made up of smaller communities - South Charlotte, Lake Norman, Union County, Matthews-Mint Hill, Mooresville, Denver, Mountain Island)

http://www.thecharlotteweekly.com/

Also, online, the village scribe is not too bad for certain information...

The Village Scribe Online

If something big is going on in Monroe, you should find it in 1 of 3 of those sources.....
Thanks, Jack! That should help Mikey. After telling him to check the weekly, it occurred to me that a daily geared to Union County would do the trick. I assumed that a daily would come out of Monroe.

As to the general info on the budget battle in Raleigh, the Shelby Star might be the paper to follow. There's a reason for this. Eastern Cleveland County (Kings Mountain) is primarily Democratic while the rest of the county is apparently Republican. However, apparently the county officials are highly torked over the legislature seizing money for the budget from some of the funds used for incentives.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:36 AM

123 posts, read 245,645 times
MIkeyKid,

We just moved here a little over a month ago and I have three kids at Kensington Elementary here in Waxhaw. I think that the school is phenomenal and I am comparing it to a highly ranked school/area in Wake County. We also got a great deal on our home and I really don't see why/how you'd be crazy to buy in this market. Interest rates are still low and prices are down. You buy a place to live in it not as an investment we all learned. If you buy in a desirable area with good schools and low crime you should be able to at least get what you paid for it in the next round. That is my two cents anyhow. This is the third home I've owned in NC and the last two were in Wake County. I have really yet to make any money but then again I didn't really lose too much either. I can tell you I have enjoyed each home, so have my children, and we've made some great friends! Isn't that what it's about too?

Thanks!

Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,409,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubs1017 View Post
MIkeyKid,

We just moved here a little over a month ago and I have three kids at Kensington Elementary here in Waxhaw. I think that the school is phenomenal and I am comparing it to a highly ranked school/area in Wake County. We also got a great deal on our home and I really don't see why/how you'd be crazy to buy in this market. Interest rates are still low and prices are down. You buy a place to live in it not as an investment we all learned. If you buy in a desirable area with good schools and low crime you should be able to at least get what you paid for it in the next round. That is my two cents anyhow. This is the third home I've owned in NC and the last two were in Wake County. I have really yet to make any money but then again I didn't really lose too much either. I can tell you I have enjoyed each home, so have my children, and we've made some great friends! Isn't that what it's about too?

Thanks!
Hi there! Welcome to the cow fields and welcome to the Charlotte board.

We love the area too - albeit we're in Marvin Ridge. Forgive my sarcasm as we've been here a year and we are intimately familiar with the area. I just have this bright wide yellow stripe painted squarely down the middle of my back about buying... yikes!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 472 times
Union County schools are solid plus the county also offers a very good charter school- Union Academy and a very good magnet school- Central Academy of Technology & Arts. If you will be working in Charlotte and commuting to work each day you will want to consider western Union County communities (Marvin & Weddington) that will make the rush hour drives tolerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte