U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charlotte subdivisions: property taxes, smog regulations, fence, pool, garage

Old 07-23-2007, 01:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,321 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm Nicole...this is my first post here! I just needed more information on the Charlotte area. Things that only people who live here could know! Please comment on one or all of these questions....

1.) If I wanted a Charlotte address and can spend no more than $125,000 on a home, what areas would I want to be in or stay away from? I noticed on the Remax.com site that there are different areas or subdivisions, which ones should I look out for?

2.) What kind of taxes are involved when you are a home owner in the Charlotte area? I am from California and property taxes are due, but not every month....how does it work there? (Example: If our home mortgage is $770 what do you think the total money going out each month for our home only)

3.) What kind of smog regulations are in the Charlotte area? My boyfriend and I have two Mustangs that aren't smogable in California, but I have been told that the smog regulations in CA are far higher and more strict than other states. I went onto the DMV website for Charlotte, but it didn't tell me exactly what is required for smog (emissions standards)

4.) Anything major you would change about your city or what things are exceptional about it?

5.) Why are there no fences around homes?

6.) Does anyone have a pool?

7.) Why are there few 2 or 3 car garages?

Any info that you would like to add would be much apprieciated! Thanks so much for your time!

Thanks again, Nicole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 06:17 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,422,425 times
Welcome!

First off, there are plenty of fences around homes, and plenty of two car garages....just not in your price range. Further, most subdivision HOAs do not allow fences in the front yard, only in the back. This is for aesthetic reasons.

Some people indeed have pools.

We have emissions standards, but unless your car is spewing out black smoke, it will likely pass.

People are going to come on here and tell you to look in the suburbs for a home in your price range, but I see you require a CHARLOTTE address: therefore you are going to need to look at a townhouse or condo. No single family home in that price range in Charlotte is in an area in which I would feel safe, and it would be a horrible investment.

Thus, look at townhomes and condos in the Mallard Creek, Mallard Creek Church Rd, Prosperity Church Rd, and West WT Harris Boulevard areas of Charlotte, near UNCC. Huntigton Ridge and other communities should have some nice floorplans in your price range.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:32 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,602 times
1.) This will be tough. For that price you would either need to look outside of Charlotte, or go townhome. I would recommend rent for 7 months.

2.) Taxes are relative here, but cheaper than CA. Plan 2 charges per car, one to license/transfer and one for property tax. Home property taxes don't really go over 1.4% of the tax value of your home.

3.) CA and NY have very high Smog standards, not so much here, so if it is street legal and doesn't spew black smoke you should be ok.

4.) Good things, pricing, good and growing uptown, sports, decent distance from mountains and beach. Bad things, poor planning, roads, not many parks, possible slow down coming (IMHO).

5.) Fences are common in some areas, some are privacy, some are for keeping pets in. Only allowed in Backyard.

6.) There are some pools, but no like CA or AZ. More community pools.

7.) Probably gotta get to $150 and up to see mroe 2 car garages, but they are quite common.

Good luck, you will see quite a difference from CA, depending on what area you are coming from.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,321 times
Default Thank You!

I really apprieciate the time you both took to let me know a little bit more about your city! I don't know exactly what we are going to do...I know for sure though that we will rent for a short time and take our time looking for a house. I don't want to jump into something I don't know anything about. This is all exciting, just nerve racking! I think we will be able to spend more than $125,000-Anything's better than CA! I think for about $260,000 you can get a 3 bd 2 bth home built in the 60s....it may even have new carpet! So even $170,000 would be a steal for us!

Again, thanks!

Nicole

Old 07-24-2007, 08:44 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,602 times
Good luck Nicole, and you are right you can get a pretty nice home here. Again it is all relative. I mean even for $150, you can get 3/2, garage in an ok area, usually north of the city or in South Carolina, which is about 30 min commutes to downtown. You don't get much more house until you hit $220ish, the dollars, just hit better areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or