Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 06:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,340 times

Advertisements

My husband recently got a job which will require us to relocate to the Charlotte area. I need some advice about schools. We have three children and the schools are our top priority. We do NOT want city living. We have been looking at the surrounding counties but would like input on neighborhoods and school disctricts. Thanks for your help.e

His job is in Cornelius. We will be looking at renting for the first year or so until we become more familiar with the area. We want something less than $1000/month. We are coming from a very country area in VA. We would like country living if possible, subdivisions are ok too but NOT CITY. We don't want to long of a commute to his job. I have been currently looking at Iredell and Lincoln Counties. Any other suggestions? I don't know anything about the area.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Last edited by kburgoyne; 02-21-2011 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 06:54 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kburgoyne View Post
My husband recently got a job which will require us to relocate to the Charlotte area. I need some advice about schools. We have three children and the schools are our top priority. We do NOT want city living. We have been looking at the surrounding counties but would like input on neighborhoods and school disctricts. Thanks for your help.
Where exactly will his new job be located?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:55 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Charlotte is a very large metro... As I'm sure you know, the answers to your questions depend greatly on your budget. You should also share where work will be and an idea of how long a commute you're looking for.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Most of the school districts are county-wide.

You are not giving us enough information to assist you. If you know an approximate location for the job, that would help. Giving us your budget range helps us to narrow things down as well.

Any additional information would help. For instance, If you are Californians you might be looking for something different than a New Englander.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:51 PM

488 posts, read 799,080 times
Quote:
My husband recently got a job which will require us to relocate to the Charlotte area. I need some advice about schools. We have three children and the schools are our top priority. We do NOT want city living. We have been looking at the surrounding counties but would like input on neighborhoods and school disctricts. Thanks for your help.e

His job is in Cornelius. We will be looking at renting for the first year or so until we become more familiar with the area. We want something less than $1000/month. We are coming from a very country area in VA. We would like country living if possible, subdivisions are ok too but NOT CITY. We don't want to long of a commute to his job. I have been currently looking at Iredell and Lincoln Counties. Any other suggestions? I don't know anything about the area.

Iredell sounds best for what you are looking for. Mooresville Schools are very good. You may also want to look off Hwy 73 towards Concord. If you want small town charm I think Davidson is great - I think part of the town is outside of Mecklenburg.

$1000 a month for rent for I am guessing a 4 bedroom will probably put you out in the country a bit - I know here in Huntersville it is 1500-2000 for a nice 4 BR.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:

You will be hard pressed to find something in the Charlotte metro with good schools for less than $1000 a month I'm afraid.

Iredell and Lincoln are nice counties with some good schools though.

Try looking close to Statesville and you might find more affordable rents.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:58 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Go with Troutman. Mooresville/Davidson/Cornelius might be a little too busy and expensive (more than $1,000 per month). Cornelius is mile marker 28 on I-77 while Troutman is mile marker 42 (less than a 20 minute commute for your husband). Troutman is VERY country. You'll love it. Also, there is the small town of Cleveland, NC near Mooresville and Troutman. Again, VERY country.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Go with Troutman. Mooresville/Davidson/Cornelius might be a little too busy and expensive (more than $1,000 per month). Cornelius is mile marker 28 on I-77 while Troutman is mile marker 42 (less than a 20 minute commute for your husband). Troutman is VERY country. You'll love it. Also, there is the small town of Cleveland, NC near Mooresville and Troutman. Again, VERY country.

I love Troutman too , but Charlotte prices have reached there now I'm afriad.

She should look just in case she finds a deal, but like I said earlier, they'll probably need to go to Statesville to get all they are looking for if they decide on Iredell county.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:14 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
Don't know where the OP has gone, but depending on what size home they're looking for you can find rentals in Mooresville in the area east of downtown around Shearers rd and Faith Rd.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,340 times
Thanks for all your help. This does give us a starting place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte