U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 06:56 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,990,604 times

Advertisements

can't believe someone would try to defend chaining up a dog. chains threaten a dogs physical and mental well-being and create vicious dogs... no two ways about it.

whatever you think your justification is Sunny, you are wrong. I hope it doesn't take someone getting attacked by your "mean wild dog" to bring you around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 12:59 PM

487 posts, read 656,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
can't believe someone would try to defend chaining up a dog. chains threaten a dogs physical and mental well-being and create vicious dogs... no two ways about it.

whatever you think your justification is Sunny, you are wrong. I hope it doesn't take someone getting attacked by your "mean wild dog" to bring you around.
Or pay the bill of a lawsuit of a dog BRAGGED ABOUT as mean and a biter - the cost of the payout for a dog bite is nothing to sneeze at.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:02 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,582,216 times
A dog is a dog.
Tethering one up doesn't make someone a bad person.
Now doing so and all but forget about it, is irresponsible.

But take it to it's honest place with this whole issue.
The issue is these people who get these pits and other large dogs
tie them to a tree, and then they tear off after someone after
being neglected so long and getting ticked off.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Yall have right to your opinion and I respect it a but I want a vicious dog nothing else to protect it is pitch dark at night out here. Dogs are made to bite they are animals. I repeat its a long chain more space than a pen. Its the short chains and tether that's problematic.

This picture shows why we have no fears of kids or whoever roaming in backyard and if they are they are up no good.

[quote=Chromekitty;18046077]A dog is a dog.
Tethering one up doesn't make someone a bad person.
Now doing so and all but forget about it, is irresponsible.

Exactly dogs are not humans I believe some even derive from wolves at one point in time. Your hit point on head those who neglect are the ones who mistreat need to be criminalize .

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-26-2011 at 04:06 PM..

Old 02-26-2011, 04:36 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,990,604 times
and this picture shows my animals.

who also bark and alert us to visitors, so that their owners may address whatever situation or "threat" accordingly.

incidentally, I can't see these guys biting anyone. even if they were to get loose and run off, I have no fear of them attacking or hurting anything.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:46 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,105,221 times
Sunny, since you are that far out into the country, can you not just let your dog run loose? He wouldn't go far, I am sure. And, would probably be even more protection to you.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
Other dogs would be for lunch and there still cars cant have him ran over again.
I do not want thread to go off topic feel free to dm me.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:08 AM

21 posts, read 23,801 times
chance2jump, I agree completely. Here in FL there have been too many instances of severe animal cruelty, by owners who tether their dogs. Since the owners are so inhumane, authorities have to save the animals. Someone has to step up to the plate and do something. The cruelty needs to stop. Who knows, maybe it takes an animal lover to see the importance of a law such as this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
How so?

The tether laws seem pretty reasonable for the safety of the animal. They outline what kind of set up is required - minimum age, must use a collar or harness, must have swivels on both ends, must not obstruct motion, must not be within 5ft of property lines, and gives a concession for townhouse tethering.

Seems like most of this is pretty common sense and humane for the dogs. We all wish that every dog owner had common sense - but, unfortunately, there are some dogs out there blessed with being smarter than their owners.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:57 PM

414 posts, read 578,580 times
Dogs are actually much more protective of people that they feel are part of their pack (family). The best way that a dog can be a dog and be a part of your family is to train them to obey you and to respect you, your family and your home. Obedience training along with housebreaking them allows them to be a better dog.
A dog is not a dog (ie in its natural state) on a chain, if that's an argument for doing so.
The law is a good thing, I've seen too many bad cases of what happens to dogs on chains.

And watch out because according to North Carolina Voters for Animal Welfare North Carolina Voters for Animal Welfare there are other areas considering the tethering ban.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:00 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Since this thread has been revived and I didn't comment on it the first go round, I will comment on it now.

In the case of many rescue dogs (and that is the situation w/ Sunny's dog, for ex.) they were used to being outside, don't want to be inside, and they will destroy a fence (dig under, jump over or chew up the fence) . . . b/c they are determined to not be "penned in." And some chase cars, to their own detriment - and to the detriment of the driver of the car, if he/she should swerve and cause a car accident (or veer into oncoming traffic) while attempting to avoid a large dog.

There are times folks in rural areas feel the safest thing they can do for a dog that doesn't like being inside is to tether the dog in some way. And I have known folks who felt it was better to do this than see the aniimal euthanized, wh/ is exactly what happens to aggressive dogs. At least a dog can be given a decent life, with people who will love and feed him and take him to the vet for his shots - and keep him on a tether so he isn't gonna escape and bite someone or cause a car accident (or get run over and killed).

As far as laws re: tethering animals . . . this has occurred b/c without a law, LE and animal control folks have no way of documenting animal cruelty or giving a citation to the owner, citing the law, and giving the owner a chance to rectify the situation "according to the law."

When I was living in eastern Kansas in 1993, maybe some of you remember the region flooded - 100 year flood - and so there was a terrible problem with animals who were rescued for several months afterward - but were never matched up with owners. I decided to take one of these dogs into my home.

THe dog (a corgi mix) HATED being indoors, to the point of crashing himself through a window. Now, I have a background in obedience training and so I thought I would be able to assist this dog and "rehab" him. But there was just no way. He only wanted to stay outside and of course, I was in a neighborhood that would have had the authorities haul me off if I tethered a dog, lol. He was Houdini - dug under fences, chewed up boards . . . to the point of his mouth bleeding.

One crashed window and some sizeable vet bills later, I had to return him to the rescue shelter. They had not bothered to tell me the only way the dog stayed calm was on a tether. He must have been kept that way at home and that was what he preferred.

I don't know what happened to the dog, but they assured me they would make sure he got placed w/ someone who would put him on a tether and not attempt to take him into the house.

Some dogs are gonna be a safety risk - even to themselves - if they are NOT on a tether. Yes, it could be b/c of early training! Of course! But those situations do exist! So b/f we judge . . . we really should be more open minded about the many situations that can occur and how someone may be saving a dog's life (as opposed to the dog being nuked) when they take the dog home and let him roam in a safe situation, on a chain.

As for the law itself . . . I agree that it is sad that there are folks who need to have every little details in their lives prescribed in a law . . . but there must be puppies that have been found chained to a tree - and dogs found with chains embedded in their necks . . . or the law would not have been created as a way to keep that from happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte