Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 5,483 times

Advertisements

My husband is about to accept a job offer in Charlotte; we're currently in CT. I've never been to NC before, and I could use some help.

The new job is very close to Carowinds. I have two children still in school; one will be a senior, the other a freshman in HS. Right now I think we'd like to live in NC so that the kids are eligible for in-state tuition in NC colleges.

We'd like to spend $300-350 for a house.

What areas would you suggest for us - we need a great high school and a decent commute (under 30-40 mins) for my husband. Ideally, we'd also like to be close to shopping (grocery, home improvement, etc.) and maybe a YMCA.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 10:04 PM

23 posts, read 32,427 times
I would recommend looking at the Matthews area. Good schools, some nice houses in your price range, and a commute that would probably be around what you're looking at... plus there is a nice YMCA (Siskey Y), and some grocery stores, Lowes and Home Depots around.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:03 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky~dog View Post
My husband is about to accept a job offer in Charlotte; we're currently in CT. I've never been to NC before, and I could use some help.

The new job is very close to Carowinds. I have two children still in school; one will be a senior, the other a freshman in HS. Right now I think we'd like to live in NC so that the kids are eligible for in-state tuition in NC colleges.

We'd like to spend $300-350 for a house.

What areas would you suggest for us - we need a great high school and a decent commute (under 30-40 mins) for my husband. Ideally, we'd also like to be close to shopping (grocery, home improvement, etc.) and maybe a YMCA.

Thank you so much!

Great idea to stay on the NC side with a child just about to go off to college. With a NC high school diploma she'll get in state tuition at one of the many great schools to choose from

There is a fantastic YMCA - the Siskey Y in the south Charlotte area and in your price range you'd find many homes to like there. Best of luck!

Old 02-24-2011, 07:06 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
You could also consider the Ballantyne area of Charlotte or even western Union County. That would fit in with your commute times and there is a nearby YMCA

Old 02-24-2011, 07:36 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
I don't know that Matthews would fit into your commute time. According to Google Maps the fastest route would take 23 minutes but that is not accounting for rush hour traffic. 485 and 77 are killer in the AM and you would have to get past it to get to Carowinds.

Carowinds to Matthews, NC - Google Maps

As someone else suggested, Ballantyne would probably be good. It is a very nice area and closer to Carowinds but you would have to either take side streets or still deal with 485/77. I don't know too much about Steele Creek but have heard there are a lot of good places there and it is on the other side of 485/77.

Steele Creek Residents Association

Old 02-24-2011, 08:24 AM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I don't know that Matthews would fit into your commute time. According to Google Maps the fastest route would take 23 minutes but that is not accounting for rush hour traffic. 485 and 77 are killer in the AM and you would have to get past it to get to Carowinds.

Carowinds to Matthews, NC - Google Maps

As someone else suggested, Ballantyne would probably be good. It is a very nice area and closer to Carowinds but you would have to either take side streets or still deal with 485/77. I don't know too much about Steele Creek but have heard there are a lot of good places there and it is on the other side of 485/77.

Steele Creek Residents Association
I agree with this as my husband works just minutes from Carowinds. He lived in Ballantyne (the company housed him there) for the first 2 months he was here before we moved down. He couldn't stand even some of the evening traffic just getting back to Ballantyne. He started using the backroads through South Carolina to get back from work.
It is a huge consideration because he said there were evenings it took an hour or more to get back to his apartment, before he figured out the backroads route.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:45 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Why not cross the border and live in SC....taxes, schools, commute etc....will all be much easier!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:51 AM

149 posts, read 275,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Why not cross the border and live in SC....taxes, schools, commute etc....will all be much easier!
She wants NC for in state tution in a year.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 AM

958 posts, read 1,723,785 times
Matthews would be a pretty long drive to SC. I would live in South Charlotte places near 51, 485 and I77

Old 02-24-2011, 09:52 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,003,805 times
When people refer to the "Ballantyne Area" that is an area in South Charlotte on the outside of 485. Just to orient you, look at a road called Ardrey Kell between Community House and Johnston Rd. Any good Charlotte agent will know what you mean by Ballantyne though. You should be able to find a few options at your price point in the current market depending on what size home you have in mind. That area really should meet all your needs. Welcome to Charlotte!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte