U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,794,310 times

Advertisements

See this story.

County leader proposes tax hike to balance budget | WCNC.com

The head of the Mecklenburg County Commission doesn't want to lower the property tax rate to compensate for the new house appraisals. She wants to take the opportunity impose a tax increase due to revaluation. Some of you got 30%+ valuation increases which means you will pay this much more county tax if this happens. This will even hit those of you that had a lower property value as you also rightfully deserve a lower tax rate.

You will hear two phrases mentioned:
  • Revenue Neutral - means they lower the tax rate to compensate for higher average property valuations. This is what the state requires and what they should do.
  • Rate Neutral - means they don't change the tax rate. IMO it's political weasel wording.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 06:43 AM

5,787 posts, read 8,434,459 times
I never understand how people think that math is just an inconvenience...

The county has X expense
The county has Y revenue

Unless X is going down (does it EVER?), then Y has to remain the same and/or increase. Debt is not equal to revenue. Think about how the county generates revenue and then reconsider what needs to happen to taxes. The revals are the semantics, but that doesn't change the fact that everyone is going to have to share the burden.

So yes - your property value is lower, but that doesn't mean everything suddenly costs less! Quite the contrary... X is UP, Y is DOWN. There's no math that works without higher taxes.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:47 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,659,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I never understand how people think that math is just an inconvenience...

The county has X expense
The county has Y revenue

Unless X is going down (does it EVER?), then Y has to remain the same and/or increase. Debt is not equal to revenue. Think about how the county generates revenue and then reconsider what needs to happen to taxes. The revals are the semantics, but that doesn't change the fact that everyone is going to have to share the burden.

So yes - your property value is lower, but that doesn't mean everything suddenly costs less! Quite the contrary... X is UP, Y is DOWN. There's no math that works without higher taxes.
The big issue I think is what the state is doing to us as a county. Jennifer saying what she did might soften the blow if they can't maintain neutral but they better lower the tax rate or people are going to blow more gaskets.

You can watch the presentation from last night at Mecklenburg County Community Outreach on USTREAM: Mecklenburg County reaches out to involve the community in the direction of county government..

Old 04-12-2011, 10:06 PM

4 posts, read 4,816 times
The REAL problem with taxes is how much are being WASTED~
Plug up the holes that allow roads to get resurfaced that don't need it, curbs to be replaced that are already okay, "mistakes" that cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands, sidewalks being built (and homeowners' land being given up to "easement" for them) when people don't want them in the first place~.
New LIbrary "openings" followed by closings.
This revaluation ploy to KEEP FUNDING such wasteful practices is just absurd.

TRY A LITTLE EFFICIENCY for a change, Commissioners & City Council members.
THAT would certainly help reduce the need for still MORE tax money.

I've seen a LOT of unconscionable waste in the last couple of years...
LEARN TO MANAGE WHAT YOU HAVE WELL.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:23 PM

904 posts, read 1,403,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelica427 View Post
Plug up the holes that allow roads to get resurfaced that don't need it, curbs to be replaced that are already okay, "mistakes" that cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands, sidewalks being built (and homeowners' land being given up to "easement" for them) when people don't want them in the first place~.

Preach on Angelica!

Old 04-13-2011, 12:23 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,659,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelica427 View Post

I understand the frustration but most of what you mention is for the city or the library which has had lots of cuts.

Mecklenburg County is at staffing levels not seen in years, no one has gotten a raise in three and overall just about everything has been cut. Even with more than 2% growth per year since the last reval in organic income (new construction, permits) the county is looking at a shortfall of $16M if they kept the rate neutral minus the growth.

This is because the state is dumping on the counties and taking away lottery money. I just don't see much room for the county to keep cutting and that's the just of this thread.

I am insulted that you call the reval a ploy. The revaluation has nothing to do with rates or funding anything.

And since you want the commissioners to hear you, I recommend you go to the next public meeting Tuesday night and get your three minutes in front of them. Tell them what county waste you want to see stopped.

There's at least 4 conservatives that will listen and the county manager will be directed to follow up if you have something solid. And even the liberals might listen if they can take away from one department and give to another they like better

Old 04-13-2011, 05:19 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,794,310 times
In listening to the news yesterday, I think it is pretty clear the county and city government are being lobbied heavily by CMS and their boosters to use property revaluation to raise the property taxes that people pay. They will do this by refusing to drop the tax rates after the total valuation of property was raised by 9%. They will call this tax increase, "rate neutral".

To add insult to injury WCNC's bubble headed reporter, Greg Argos, made light of it yesterday by holding up a shiny new penny and stating (using the others disclaimer) that it's only 1 penny/dollar or 4 pennies/dollar "for the children". Give me a break. I guess it's not a surprise, most times, the local media does nothing but carry water for the local politicians. This means anyone owning property in this county, and/or paying rent, is going to get hood winked by some of the most disingenuous descriptions from the deepest depths of the local political sewer of what amounts to a tax increase. Never mind holding the high paid administrators accountable. They already demonstrated they won't do this.

I should imagine this was the entertainment at a government paid for party for local officials.

Last edited by yantosh22; 04-13-2011 at 05:34 AM..

Old 04-13-2011, 05:24 AM

103 posts, read 368,483 times
When a real buisness doesn't work, major changes are made. In government they impose tax increases to fix there problems..

In the real world, if you are wasting money and increase the price of your product to cover, at some point, people stop buying your product. In this ridiculous situation we are in, we are powerless to stop them. They waste money, and foist the debt on us.

Rehab the system, it doesn't work anymore..

Old 04-13-2011, 05:34 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,175,581 times
AMEN Brother!

Old 04-13-2011, 05:43 AM

700 posts, read 1,436,942 times
Default I think that they

all have to look at what they are spending, from what and for what. The days of the voters sitting back and saying stop is over. These people are elected and the problem with that is most of the people who voted for them do not know what they do, have done or will do. 1. The voter did just a party vote. 2.If they (voters) were asked about that person (elected official) they would not know anything about them.

Taxes are a great thing If they get stuff done. But look around and see what is getting done. The voters need to get in the officials face and ask why. Why is this not done why is that not done? Why are we fixing that light ten times in one year? While others work fine. Why are we addding a sidewalk that starts nowhere and leads nowhere? When the road needs repaving. Why are you getting a raise and not the people who are doing the work? Why is there six guys standing around watching one dig a hole?Until they can answer the questions. The voters need to be getting in their face at every public meeting, every form avaliable to them (voters) and ask those questions.

Truth be told. You have no chance. Voters as a whole are to lazy. They are waiting for you to do it. Thing is. This is what happens everytime. We get mad stomp our feet a little then go about what we are doing. Just like when the city annexs a community. We come together raise a fuss. Some form the no annexations group. Get a lawyer, collect a few dollars, take the city to court, the court rules, then it is over. City wins. It is forgotten. I have never seen anyone as a group hold the city to the fire. Keep pushing. What if all the homeowners came together and said. Go ahead, Annex us, we refuse your services and are not paying the new taxes imposed. What do you think that if say a thousand people came together and did that? What would that say? Sorry Drifting. You are screwed live with it or move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or