U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 07:21 AM

5 posts, read 7,216 times

Advertisements

The Vinnie's at Mt. Island is now closed, there are no signs on the doors, no information posted anywhere I can find, nothing....although the food was mediocre, the place was always very busy and vibrant...Does anyone have any information as to what the deal is?

Seems a lot of good places are just going away...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 08:31 AM

873 posts, read 1,540,332 times
I don't know why they closed, but I'd have to wonder if it was related to their incredibly poor service, or the way they always tried to "pad" the check, thus charging the unwary for things that weren't received.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:03 PM

540 posts, read 1,519,277 times
i know the one in matthews closed a month or 2 ago..just reopened as something else

Old 02-26-2011, 07:35 AM

24 posts, read 35,711 times
I live in a neighborhood not too far from that location. I just don't think it was the right atmosphere for the area. All the neighborhoods are filled with families with small children..... I ate there just a few times, sat outside because I didn't like sitting in a smoky place, and don't want my elementary aged daughters being served by 20 something girls with their ta ta's and bottoms hanging out. We go to Bull & Barrister. Those servers are still 20 something girls who look cute in their outfits without looking like they should be on the corner looking for customers.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:49 AM

441 posts, read 1,067,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2edna View Post
I live in a neighborhood not too far from that location. I just don't think it was the right atmosphere for the area. All the neighborhoods are filled with families with small children..... I ate there just a few times, sat outside because I didn't like sitting in a smoky place, and don't want my elementary aged daughters being served by 20 something girls with their ta ta's and bottoms hanging out. We go to Bull & Barrister. Those servers are still 20 something girls who look cute in their outfits without looking like they should be on the corner looking for customers.
Good point. But there are SO few resturants in the Mountain Island area (couple of asian ones, a mexican one, Bull and Barr. and Sports Page are about it I think) that I am suprised if did not make it solely do to lack of competition! Birkdale, Cornelius, Northlake, S. Charlotte, etc. have a TON of places. Mt. Island lacks resturants (and stores, and a YMCA and a Starbucks, etc.). Wondering if, as people I know if Coulwood are saying, that area is not picking up as expected, but going downhill. Whatever happened, for instance, to the Lowes that was to come that way? Maybe CiCis and now Vinnie's is a sign that businesses are fleeing??? Hope not. It is a nice little area out there. But with subpar schools (especially middle schools), few resturants and services and lack of interest from the city...hmmm.

Taben

Last edited by taben; 02-26-2011 at 09:58 AM..

Old 02-26-2011, 11:53 AM

24 posts, read 35,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
Good point. But there are SO few resturants in the Mountain Island area (couple of asian ones, a mexican one, Bull and Barr. and Sports Page are about it I think) that I am suprised if did not make it solely do to lack of competition! Birkdale, Cornelius, Northlake, S. Charlotte, etc. have a TON of places. Mt. Island lacks resturants (and stores, and a YMCA and a Starbucks, etc.). Wondering if, as people I know if Coulwood are saying, that area is not picking up as expected, but going downhill. Whatever happened, for instance, to the Lowes that was to come that way? Maybe CiCis and now Vinnie's is a sign that businesses are fleeing??? Hope not. It is a nice little area out there. But with subpar schools (especially middle schools), few resturants and services and lack of interest from the city...hmmm.

Taben
I think part of it is not having a 'political' person who actually cares about this area involved.
Things were doing really well here....neighborhoods with larger homes, places to eat, development. For a while we had the "nice" walmart...(LMAO), the elementary was top notch. Then slowly.....it started changing.....and it wasn't kept in check.

First CMS moved the top notch principal out of Mtn Island Elem....every year the test scores went down another notch. Then low income housing went in. Then Walmart's usual problems showed up (no commitment to the area, just to make $$). And the approval of more and more R4-R6 neighborhoods, rather than R2 or R3's.

Many little things started it down the hill, add in the economy recently, and this is what we have. But since we have no one that lives over here downtown where the decisions are being made, we do get ignored. We also get lumped in with the area north of airport and west side. There's still plenty of old folks over here that complain when things change.

ON THE OTHER HAND- there are some good things happening over here. Finally got Clariant to stop stinking up the place. The White Water Center is a really nice addition, some nice neighborhoods, Pine Island Golf, new park, new charter school nearby that is very popular.

ReVenture sounds nice (and part of the project is) but I think it could become a nightmare neighbor quickly. I think the 'advertising' the company is doing is very misleading to what this will ACTUALLY impact in this area. I know quite a few people who have some serious problems with this project (as is) and we are getting a battle plan in place.

We need community involvement ...... and that is where Mtn Island lacks. I wish he had a town square or other place for events to get neighborhoods connected, and bonds built.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:40 PM

441 posts, read 1,067,549 times
Default So True

The above post is very accurate. You make some great points. The new park and white water center are great. I did not know the issue with the Mt. Island principal. I DO know that the pawtucket elem. kids largely will attend Paw Creek (in Coulwood) next year and folks are not happy with that.

It just seems with the home and money in Mt. Island Harbor and OVerlook that SOMEONE would have some pull to get some things started in that area!

Another sad not is that a small homeschool store in Coulwood that brought people into the are shut down (Growing Scholars in Coulwood).

I think it is a decent area and hope it picks up. Some say that Freedom Drive and Little Rock Rd. are creeping in and will take over Coulwood and then the Brookshire/HWY16 area. Hope not!

Taben
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or