Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 6,013 times

Advertisements

I know NC has some transplants from Long Island. Could you please tell me about your experience. Good, bad, ugly or fantastic? I would love to hear everything! How do the schools rate? How do you like the construction on your homes? The weather? The job market? The people? All of it, we need to know! I'm sure there are other threads on this topic but I wold like recent feedback from you all. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 12,551 times
Hello NY33

I recently moved down to NC - Concord to be exact from Rochester NY. I know it is not Long Island but there are many people from all over and around the Charlotte area.
As far as living so far I love it, weather is great!!! the people are a lot nicer than up North, there are many fantastic homes. Charlotte as a city has a very small town big city feel. I really don't know too much about the schoos here but if I had to bet I would say there many superb options.
In Short a great place to live for me that is. I am sure you will love it.
Still taking me a little while to get used to everything as it is different. Oh and the family that put me up fro my new job moved here from long island they love it too.
All the best pal

Old 02-25-2011, 01:26 PM

44 posts, read 234,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY33 View Post
I know NC has some transplants from Long Island. Could you please tell me about your experience. Good, bad, ugly or fantastic? I would love to hear everything! How do the schools rate? How do you like the construction on your homes? The weather? The job market? The people? All of it, we need to know! I'm sure there are other threads on this topic but I wold like recent feedback from you all. Thank you.
We moved from Massapequa almost 4 years ago and I love it. It is not paradise, but overall I find it to be better. The weather is far better than LI, less snow and very hot in the summer, very, very hot. I am in Union County and the schools are equal to the Massapequa School District, which was a well-respected school district on LI. I would be careful and secure your job prior to your move, because the job market here is recovering very slowly. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:23 PM

120 posts, read 238,026 times
Taxes are about to go very high..probly better off staying in l.i....schools are gonna start to suffer there are alot of kids in each class 25 to 35 each room..mecklundberg is closing schools and union county taxes and home prices are about to be very high....make sure u do your home work before moving..

Old 02-25-2011, 03:17 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEOPLESCHAMP View Post
Taxes are about to go very high..probly better off staying in l.i......
HAHA.....yeah, now you'll pay 3 grand vs 15K for Strong Island

Old 02-25-2011, 08:13 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,105 times
We moved from Plainview in 1998. My husband grew up on LI, I am a Westchester girl. We love it here -- the weather is much better IMO, yes it gets hot in the summer but the winters are worth it. I can't really compare the schools to LI since my kids were not in school when we moved. I am happy with the schools here -- we are in the Marvin Ridge cluster in Union county. The job market is very tight right now, so do make sure you have a job before you move.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:49 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
4 responses. 3 weather reports. Think about the substance of the replies.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:50 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
4 responses. 3 weather reports. Think about the substance of the replies.
Weather sucks here... its 80 in February (JOY) ..by summer you'll be dripping. Play now..pay later.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:57 PM

554 posts, read 1,508,096 times
just to TOUCH on weather once again - the weather is so much better here if you are sick of the long over drawn winters of snow, snow, AND MORE SNOW and cold, cold, AND MORE COLD!!! Let alone the ugliness that NY brings to it after day 1 of the new fallen snow and it has now turned brown.

NY is so over-rated...yes, you are close to NYC (which I LOVE LOVE LOVE) but the pros out weigh the cons 9 out of 10 times when comparing the two areas. I miss NYC A LOT!!!! I really do, but I love this area...I look outside my deck and see blooming flowers, NO OVER GROWN GRASS OR WEEDS, freshly mowed GREEN lawns...and I can honesly truly appreciate that after coming from NY!!! All in all, I miss NYC but I do NOT miss NY and even though this is the city that "never sleeps" - I'm okay with that because the time Charlotte is "awake" it's a lot more pleasant than the 24 hour hustle and bustle!

Also, touching out schools - there are quite a few good schools here. When I moved here I kept hearing how bad the school district is in Mecklendburg - and for the most part I have to agree - but Union County has great schools, so does Ardrey Kell, Myers Park, and Providence - ect. the best advice I can give you on that department is - don't let school systems keep you from moving.

Good luck, I really think you'll like it if you're looking for a family oriented area, can appreciate the beauty of cleanliness and meticulousness, and are not coming down with the mindset that it's a city similar to NYC! :-)

Old 02-28-2011, 06:39 AM

285 posts, read 800,399 times
I DON'T miss that LI oil bill. YUCK!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte