Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 04:01 PM

3 posts, read 6,711 times

Advertisements

Born and raised in Seattle and looking to move to Charlotte. My field is the IT industry, so I'm looking to get a job with the govt or large company.

I have absolutely no idea about good neighborhoods and no family, but I need a change. Any advice would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 05:38 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
Have you visited NC before? Is there anything specific bringing you to Charlotte?

I would definitely recommend securing a job before you make the leap. The unemployment in NC is high and there are already many other IT professionals looking for work.

If you just "need change" - have you looked at other areas across the country? Places near DC and parts of VA have a much lower unemployment rate and offer a larger selection of gov't positions. Likewise, there are other areas around the nation that IT jobs can be found from NY to TX.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:31 PM

958 posts, read 1,725,001 times
Only travel in the daylight!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:33 AM

291 posts, read 870,157 times
That's awfully far from family! Charlotte is a great city but totally different vibe from Seattle - will you miss the water? Have you thought about Portland, Oregon? That would be a change, but just not so far from your family. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Old 02-26-2011, 06:46 PM

488 posts, read 799,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielle2507 View Post
Born and raised in Seattle and looking to move to Charlotte. My field is the IT industry, so I'm looking to get a job with the govt or large company.

I have absolutely no idea about good neighborhoods and no family, but I need a change. Any advice would be great.
Depending on the IT job you want there are a lot of jobs but right now but many are contract and many of the major companies all have an 18 month rule so you can only stay 18 months than leave for a minimum of 6 months.

It is pretty hard to get full time because of the economy - especially in the banks. If you have a financial background it will help as the two biggest employers for IT are Bank of America and Wells Fargo. Duke Energy and Lowes also have a bunch of contracting jobs too.

I would put out your resume to some of the consulting firms. Charlotte has everything from the Mayflower Madam to the pimp on the street when it comes to consulting firms. Be careful who you talk to because some will do right by you and other will not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: