U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2011, 02:41 PM
 
Location: New England
8,155 posts, read 18,601,432 times
Reputation: 3292

Advertisements

NC is becoming more and more like the Northeast every year in many ways...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2011, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,591,481 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
NC is becoming more and more like the Northeast every year in many ways...
Amen!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 03:21 PM
 
3,115 posts, read 6,137,056 times
Reputation: 1797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
If someone is unemployed or underemployed even the slightest increase matters.
The fact is these types of things are happening, sad but true!
Yes, because that's what happens. Prices go up. It's life, and anyone ignorant of that is, well, ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 03:22 PM
 
3,115 posts, read 6,137,056 times
Reputation: 1797
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
NC is becoming more and more like the Northeast every year in many ways...
Oh give me a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 03:24 PM
 
3,115 posts, read 6,137,056 times
Reputation: 1797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
So now, people bash the guy who has worked hard and paid his home off!
WOW!!! Perhaps he is unemployed, perhaps he is handicapped,perhaps he is underemployed.........NO ONE knows this guys or anyones situation.

Some of the things you mention are happening in this country and between politicians and greedy corporate america, middle/lower class citizens are SOL!!!!
He didn't work hard and pay his home off. The article says that it was given to him by his Grandma.

I don't feel sorry for him either, and I don't get the feeling from the article that he even feels sorry for himself. He knows that's just the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 03:32 PM
 
174 posts, read 421,994 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Dear Heart I am glad you are so well off that $162/month is meaningless to you. I would say that a person who was on a fixed income, or someone who recently lost their job, $162/month would be quite a hit.

In regards of homes being revalued by the amount you cite, it has happened all over Mecklenburg. It's not extreme. You can read back the forum from people where these kinds of increases have hit them. Some older neighborhoods rose quite a lot over the last 8 years. These are the very places where you might find someone who has lived in the house for decades, has it paid off, but is being forced out by tax increases.
The question wasn't who is so well off, it was "taxes are driving me from my fully paid home"

Let's use your example....lets say someone bought a home in 1980 for $60,000. Back than interest rates were at least 15%, but lets use 12%. $60,000 loan with a fixed rate of 12% would have a payment of $617 per month.....taxes in 1980 Charlotte?? I have no clue....lets say $200 for the year ($16 per month).

So principal, interest, and taxes -- $633 per month.

In 2010 Harry Homeowner pays off his home......his taxes are revaluated to $350,000....that's $376 per month....or $257 LESS than what he was paying before.

So explain how Harry Homeowner is being forced out of his home??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 05:06 PM
 
1,661 posts, read 2,788,446 times
Reputation: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytarheel View Post
....
Let's use your example....lets say someone bought a home in 1980 for $60,000.....
And supposed they paid cash for it so no payment? Your example becomes irrelevant. There are a lot of people who don't buy homes with 30 year mortgages and they especially didn't a generation ago. You assume that housing is a one sized fits all plan and this is where your argument fails.

A lot of decent people who have lived in these neighborhoods for a long time, worked hard on modest salaries to pay off their homes, and now live on incomes relative to that time, are being hurt badly by these kinds of taxes. I stand by this argument and so far, nobody has made a compelling case to the contrary. It's not right to force people out of their homes by increasing property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 05:17 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,646,368 times
Reputation: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
I stand by this argument and so far, nobody has made a compelling case to the contrary. It's not right to force people out of their homes by increasing property taxes.
What's your recommended solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Union County
5,783 posts, read 8,419,560 times
Reputation: 4818
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
NC is becoming more and more like the Northeast every year in many ways...
lol - when was the last time you lived in the Northeast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 05:24 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,646,368 times
Reputation: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
lol - when was the last time you lived in the Northeast?
Maybe they meant University City area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:43 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top