Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 12,695 times

Advertisements

Hey all...this forum is great and I just wanted to possibly get some feed back on a decision to possibly relocate to the Charlotte area. I am currently in the Military stationed in Kansas, so I really want to get out of this area badly. My wife's parents live in Springfield, MA and its not the greatest city and is very highly priced place to live, like most places in the New England area. My question is that I have heard the good and the bad about the Charlotte area, and I do know all cities have there positives and negatives. My job field will be in the IT Web Development side of things, and I heard Charlotte is okay for the IT jobs,but the Raleigh/Duram area is mostly where the hub is at. I enjoy the big city aspect of Charlotte though alittle more i think. I am also looking for the slavic (russian/ukrainian) ethnic groups in the Charlotte are because my wife and her family are from Ukraine. Charlotte has a well developed Russian community and Churches which is a plus for us. How is the downtown, I heard its not lively as most would think a big city downtown would be? Not that it matters much for im not into the bar and party scene, just nice to see a vibrant downtown in big cities. How is the violence in the area? I know its above national average, but its like most places you just gotta be city smart and choose the places you live and go wisely. I would appreciate any insight into the Charlotte area that anyone can offer. I plan to relocate in about 1 1/2 -2 years so im obviously doing my research early, but I think it will pay off. Thanks for everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 09:21 PM

19 posts, read 40,325 times
I lived in Charlotte for four years and never found the downtown (Charlotteans call it Uptown) to be lacking in entertainment. I'm also not into the club scene and I still found plenty to do uptown.

I never had a problem with violence (read: never had to file a police report) but there are the usual neighborhoods that will be problem spots. To expand on that, I worked at Eastland Mall and the former Midtown Square, both in "challenged" parts of town and I still never had any problems. My wife worked at Central & Eastway (folks who know the area are cringing right now) and she never had a problem either. Overall, I always felt safe, especially uptown.

If it helps, I lived in Pineville, near Carolina Place Mall. There was a great European grocery in the 10000 block of Park Road, although its name escapes me.

I know this is a bit of a bland response, but if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:33 AM

3 posts, read 12,695 times
Quote:
I lived in Charlotte for four years and never found the downtown (Charlotteans call it Uptown) to be lacking in entertainment. I'm also not into the club scene and I still found plenty to do uptown.

I never had a problem with violence (read: never had to file a police report) but there are the usual neighborhoods that will be problem spots. To expand on that, I worked at Eastland Mall and the former Midtown Square, both in "challenged" parts of town and I still never had any problems. My wife worked at Central & Eastway (folks who know the area are cringing right now) and she never had a problem either. Overall, I always felt safe, especially uptown.

If it helps, I lived in Pineville, near Carolina Place Mall. There was a great European grocery in the 10000 block of Park Road, although its name escapes me.

I know this is a bit of a bland response, but if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks for the responce. I know it all comes down the the individual and their views of the city. Some hate it, Some Love it. Just like the area I am at in Topeka, KS..I very much dislike it here, but others love it here, so I guess it just varies depending on circumstances and individuals. I think I will enjoy Charlotte and if my family is all there it will make a huge difference. Being that in the military I have not been near family for 7 years it will be a welcomed change.

I have just been watching some of the Youtube video's out there explaining about Charlottes "Uptown" and I know its a point of view, but in it they explain how it dies after 10 PM because most of Charlotte is Financial Buisness Districts in the area so most the places are closed, but I have no idea about this because I never been there, but I don't think it would bother either way. I am just used to downtowns of Boston and Seattle, which are always vibrant and full of character, but maybe I shouldn't compare Charlotte to one of those cities?

Yah I know there are actually about 4 European Grocery stores in the Charlotte area, some have actually made it in your local paper talking abotu them.

Well thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: