U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 05:05 AM

441 posts, read 1,071,121 times

Advertisements

We are hearing mixed reveiws about the Catholic Middle Schools in Charlotte. Most folks tell us good things about the elementary and high school, but that the middle school is lacking.

Any thoughts on this? Is there just the one middle school near the main hospital, as we were told?

T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 06:26 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,588,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
We are hearing mixed reveiws about the Catholic Middle Schools in Charlotte. Most folks tell us good things about the elementary and high school, but that the middle school is lacking.

Any thoughts on this? Is there just the one middle school near the main hospital, as we were told?

T
I am going to copy a few of my own previous posts, to save time, hope this info helps:

First of all, our school system is a regional system - no parish schools. Although several schools are built on parish properties. Our system is called "Mecklenburg Area Catholic Schools" or MACS for short. We have a school board and a school superintendent. This allows funds to be used equally across the board and all schools are equal in facilities and learning materials. Every parish is expected to contribute to the funding of the schools whether there is a school on their property or not. Each parish is assessed different amounts based on varying factors. Because of this parishoners whose children go the Catholic schools are expected to use their envelopes faithfully, 52 weeks a year to tithe to their parish. If you don't use your envelopes you will not qualify for the parish subsidy and your tuition will be higher than other families, sometimes a lot higher. Of course, non Catholics pay the highest tuition rates.

In the Charlotte area we have 5 elementary schools, 1 middle school and 1 high school. In addition, up in the the north of the county in Huntersville is a new K-8 school called St. Marks. This was built to meet the needs of families wanting Catholic education who cannot travel the great distance down to the other elementary schools or middle school. Basically those schools are all in central or south Charlotte. Catholic High is also in south Charlotte in the Pineville area. It is one of the best schools in the state. This college prep school boasts 97% of their students go on to college, the rest in the military. Scholarships are in the millions of dollars there for every graduation class. Compared to private schools in Charlotte, the Catholic schools are a real deal, in my opinion. Elementary is approximately $3900 a year, not quite sure about middle at the moment, and the high school is about $6500. a year.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:33 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,588,589 times
Quote:

T
In regards to Holy Trinity Middle School - if your child is a good student already they will be fine. If they are gifted or special needs in some way, that is more of a concern.

My two biggest personal problems with Holy Trinity are
1) The student population is too large, and therefore some kids don't get the individual attention they need
2) The have had trouble keeping a priest there for spiritual direction/guidance and the school therefore lacks a true "Catholic" identity.

What would you new homes public middle school assignment be?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Holy Trinity?

We will be near Mountain Island Lake and assigned, I believe, to Bradley. From what we are hearing, that is the same as Holy Trinity, except that Holy Trinity (HT)has a religion class. The two Catholic families (both via my husabnd's job...one whose kids went to MACS and one who did not use it) we spoke to did NOT recommend HT. They said to wait it out in public school and then go to the Catholic High School because the middle school would not really challenge our one child who is quite ahead and we would end up having to pay for a tutor for our other child who struggles a lot in math! Their sentiments seem to echo yours. Their feelings were the same about St. Mark, in terms of academics (there, they said, our struggling student could likely get help, but our bright student still would not be challenged).

Thank you for any further thoughts you have. The CATHOLIC part of the the school is the most important to us. If we will likely not get that at Holy Trinity, it sounds like we should look to St. Mark or wait until the high school? Any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Finally, one of the parties did say the only reason they thought HT would be worth it would be socially...so that they would know kids going into high school and not have to start over yet again.

T

Old 07-24-2007, 04:44 PM

435 posts, read 1,677,707 times
Speaking as a graduate of CCHS I would stay away from it all. The school system has changed drastically since I was there (which was only a few years back). There are problems at the schools from what I've heard (both middle & high schools)- problems that you will see even in public school. The emphasis at the high school is on sports....I mean it was bad when I was there, but its only gotten worse.

Honestly, if you are going to pay for your kids to go to private school I'd shell out the money & put them in Providence Day or Country Day, etc. But that's just my opinion.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:48 PM

435 posts, read 1,677,707 times
Quote:
Finally, one of the parties did say the only reason they thought HT would be worth it would be socially...so that they would know kids going into high school and not have to start over yet again.

T
That is true. I started at CCHS before HT was merged from the surrounding Catholic schools & I did notice that a lot of the kids who were younger than me, and did go to HT didn't have to start over again in regards to making friends, but the clique mentality started a lot younger as well.

Last edited by lovethebigcity; 07-24-2007 at 05:06 PM..

Old 07-24-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Thanks for the Feedback

The feedback here has been helpful. Much of what you all are saying is what we are hearing. The schools are great for 'in' kids who are into sports, but not as good for struggling students, kids who march to the beat of their own drum or kids who have no sports interests. Ohhhh...this decision is getting harder!

Anne

Old 07-26-2007, 04:33 PM

16 posts, read 44,897 times
I have two children that recently graduated from college. They went thru all the catholics schools here. Every step of the way, its a crap shot. What teacher you will get, etc. I didnt think it was much different than public school in that respect. You have to be in their face, at their door and make things happen for sure. I wanted an environment that I felt was safer than the public school options, not so large and I like the religious aspect. There is a respect that is present from more children in the school than you will find other places. Yes, there were problems, drugs, sex, crime... at the high school level and unfortunately starting at the middle school level. Yes, they put too much emphasis on sports. But I enjoyed the smaller community feel of the school - especially at CCHS. Its nice when you can go to the games on Friday nites and know the parents - talk about issues, get involoved. Gotta go with your gut thou, I did and I am very happy that they went to the schools they did at the time and turned out to be pretty OK adults. Like any school - the parents are the ones that have to fight for changes, dont count on a superindent or a school board to do it.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:04 AM

928 posts, read 3,536,596 times
I know your only looking for catholic schools and feedback but there are many fine non catholic schools in charlotte.

I am a former Catholic from Wester NY. I chose not to entangle myself into the Cathloic Schools system for my daughter because it's a tangled web which isn't worth the time it takes to jump through all the hoops. There are TONS of great, high quailty, private religious and non religious based schools.

The academic standards are wonderful and I do not think you would be disappointed if you could get past the fact that they are not catholic. My sister's daughter atteneded Cathlolic School in Western NY and Middle School was rough and she's an honor's student. It all depends on the student, how they feel, and if they are in it or not.

Good luck with your decision and please do not shoot down viable options because of the faith only.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:32 AM

We are hoping to find a kind, safe environment for our kids. Our preference for Catholic school is the faith aspect AND the cost (at 4800 for middle school, I think it is very reasonable even after you add the other fees). Oddly enough, in asking around I hear great/good things about CCHS and the elem. program. However, many people told me that they disliked Holy Trinity for their kids all the way around (too big, too many cliques, to little faith emphasis, too few activities). I am still trying to find more out about this level.

Anne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or