Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 05:09 PM

368 posts, read 946,070 times

Advertisements

I am a jobless Finance grad trying to get into banking. The obligatory advice for people in my situation is to network, but how do I go about finding networking events in Charlotte? I live near Uptown, so I'm guessing I wouldn't have to venture too far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 05:48 PM

769 posts, read 2,220,419 times
Check LinkedIn, in addition to posting your information, there are various groups that provide networking. Also start contacting recruiters. There have been a couple that I have worked with who have held networking socials and/or job fairs in addition to working to help you find something. As a new graduate, taking contract work may not be optimum or what you were looking for, but it's a good way to get experience and internal contacts and references.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:01 PM

488 posts, read 799,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
Check LinkedIn, in addition to posting your information, there are various groups that provide networking. Also start contacting recruiters. There have been a couple that I have worked with who have held networking socials and/or job fairs in addition to working to help you find something. As a new graduate, taking contract work may not be optimum or what you were looking for, but it's a good way to get experience and internal contacts and references.
Definitely agree on contracting - a great way to see what areas you should look into to. Commercial Banking is picking up some steam now. There are some programs for people right out of college as well.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try LinkedIn. Would you mind telling me the recruiters you mentioned. You can DM if you want.

A recruiter ran a position by me, but it wasnt what I was looking for, and probably not anything that would lead to anything meaningful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
Definitely agree on contracting - a great way to see what areas you should look into to. Commercial Banking is picking up some steam now. There are some programs for people right out of college as well.
Which programs specifically? Any tips on who to contact?

Old 03-04-2011, 07:14 AM

769 posts, read 2,220,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
Thanks, I'll try LinkedIn. Would you mind telling me the recruiters you mentioned. You can DM if you want.

A recruiter ran a position by me, but it wasnt what I was looking for, and probably not anything that would lead to anything meaningful.

Which programs specifically? Any tips on who to contact?
You definitely want to be working with more than one recruiter, and don't just turn something down because it isn't exactly what you want - it's more important to have experience and contacts than to hold out for that perfect job - which may never land on your doorstep.

As far as not leading to anything meaningful - I once took a 6 week contract because I knew the company was big on previous experience within their company. It turned into a 6 month gig, and had the financial world not collapsed, would have turned into a full time gig - don't be too quick to turn stuff down. And my experience is that the job description that the recruiter has often doesn't really give you a good picture of what the job actually is, so at least try for an interview before deciding it isn't worth it - besides, it's good interviewing practice even if you end up not getting the job.

I have worked with TekSystems, Genesis One, Signature Consultants, Sapphire, Ajilon... honestly, the more of them you can get your resume to the better - I have yet to get a gig through the same firm twice.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
You definitely want to be working with more than one recruiter, and don't just turn something down because it isn't exactly what you want - it's more important to have experience and contacts than to hold out for that perfect job - which may never land on your doorstep.

As far as not leading to anything meaningful - I once took a 6 week contract because I knew the company was big on previous experience within their company. It turned into a 6 month gig, and had the financial world not collapsed, would have turned into a full time gig - don't be too quick to turn stuff down. And my experience is that the job description that the recruiter has often doesn't really give you a good picture of what the job actually is, so at least try for an interview before deciding it isn't worth it - besides, it's good interviewing practice even if you end up not getting the job.

I have worked with TekSystems, Genesis One, Signature Consultants, Sapphire, Ajilon... honestly, the more of them you can get your resume to the better - I have yet to get a gig through the same firm twice.
Thanks for the info and list of recruiters. I guess I need to be more flexible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte