U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:30 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,914,129 times

Advertisements

Weren't they from out of town? (Virginia?) I would say 40 is too fast on Lake Norman if you are unfamiliar with the lake . If they were prepping for a fishing tournament my guess is they were in one of them thar fishin boats, and they can go plenty fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 10:31 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,785,504 times
Yes indeed on the speed of a bass boat. They are specifically made this way so people, who are fishing in tournaments, can get to their fishing hole very fast.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:34 PM

3,756 posts, read 8,381,397 times
I have spoke to Captains that navigate this lake and are highly trained and most will tell you to be very careful or stay off the lake on weekends from 2pm to 6pm.

There may be no appropriate speed that covers every part of Lake Norman, but common sense should prevail especially when people are unfamiliar with the lake.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:44 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I'm curious to know your reasoning why 40 is too fast. There is not set speed limit on the lake and I know people go way faster than that. From my boating experience (which admittedly is limited) 40 is not really that fast.

The article mentioned that the area had a lot of stumps in the water so they should have been taking caution. Maybe 40 is too fast for an area with stumps but not overall for the whole lake.
40 mph is WAY to fast on such a busy crowded lake.

Personally, I think it's too dangerous even when there are not other boaters around.

Speed boating is a sport best left to the professionals.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:19 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,686,728 times
Why the emphasis on the fact that it happened on Saturday?
And why stay off the Lake between 2 and 6 at the weekends?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Between 2 and 6 on a Saturday on the lake it is at its busiest more caution and alertness and consideration of others needs to be more astute.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Between 2 and 6 on a Saturday on the lake it is at its busiest more caution and alertness and consideration of others needs to be more astute.
The lake is dead at this time of the year though, unless it's a particularly great day,which it wasn't on Saturday.Most people haven't taken their pleasure boats out of winterisation yet.
There may be some fisherman around, but that's about it.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:13 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,073,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
I think BD was just trying to say that is when it is most busy. IMO, those are the most fun times to be on a lake so I'll be doggoned if I am going to avoid it during those times.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I think BD was just trying to say that is when it is most busy. IMO, those are the most fun times to be on a lake so I'll be doggoned if I am going to avoid it during those times.
Agree that the Lake is at it's busiest then in season.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:43 AM

55 posts, read 172,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
Father, son rescued at Lake Norman - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/03/06/2114698/father-son-rescued-at-lake-norman.html - broken link)

I am glad father and son are ok, but IMHO, 40 is too fast to be riding on that lake.
We don't need more rules and regulations on the lakes (i.e. lakewide speed limits), we need education on the water ways. And most importantly the boaters need to use some common sense. 40 mph is not too fast for *most* of the lake, obviously it was (in this area) if there were underwater obstructions that caused them to be thrown overboard. The average aluminum jon boat with a 25-35 hp motor will run close to 40 mph. Most of the high powered bass boats need to go 30-35 mph to get on plane. Once on plane most can slow down, but at around 20-25 mph they will porpoise (the boat tries to go and the water tries to hold it down, lack of a better way to explain it) and that is as unsafe as running WOT. The first thing to consider here isn't speed (again, 40 isn't too fast on MOST of the lake), but the lack of judgement. I don't understand why it is such a big deal for boaters to PUT ON A LIFE VEST! Bass fishermen in particular are required to use them in tournaments, but so many seldom use them if not in a tournament. And I can't tell you how many pontoon boats I see running around Lake Wylie in the summer with a dozen people, none wearing pfd's and likely not enough on the boat anyway. Myself, I have one of those evil high powered bass boats, even a bit faster than most (95-100 mph), and as much as I enjoy the thrill of the ride, there is a time and a place. A water way filled with stumps or crowded with boats is obviously not the time or place. Also, if this man was in a bass boat (it said he was prefishing for a tournament so I assume it was a bass boat), it likely had a kill switch that would have killed the engine once he was thrown from the driver seat. I don't get in mine without it being hooked to my life vest. I also have a 'Hotfoot' throttle instead of a hand throttle, spring loaded so that if my foot comes off the pedal, it stops accelerating. There are so many ways to drive at considerable speeds and yet still be safe ( accidents can always happen, but take as much as you can out of the equation for chance), but you have to consider if someone won't even put on a life vest, they probably aren't capable of the best judgment in the first place. More rules and regulations aren't going to change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or